By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Who won the debate? Romney or Obama?

Who won the debate?

President Barack Obama 220 34.65%

Governor Mitt Romney 265 41.73%

Nobody 141 22.20%

Total:626

Obama looks weak in this debate. Romney looks way more knowledgeable, articulate, and energized. Regardless of what either are saying is true, Romney looks way more comfortable and in his element.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Mr Khan said:
I'm actually ignoring the debate. I tend to find that things i don't observe go better than things i do, like how i tried to follow election night in 2004 (too young to stay up all the way, though) but completely ignored election night 2008

lol, i probably should to.  romney is apparently going to lower everyone's takes by not lower any taxes so he can cut the deficit by lowering everyones taxes..

He didn't explain it well, but essentially what he meant was, he was going to even out the tax rate by lowering everyones taxes and limiting deductions, so some companies don't pay a 1% tax rate(the bigger more profitable ones) while others pay a 32% tax rate.  Instead he plans to even it out so that the tax burdened companies pay less, and the big companies pay more.

He thinks this will cause those companies paying near the full rate to hire more people, creating more jobs, = more revenue = less deficit.

Doubt it'll work that well, but neither of their plans are going to do much for the deficit.

BenVTrigger said:
Romney is destroying Obama right now tbh

Im not a fan of either guy but Obama has to get in control of his emotions and body language. He looks far too agitated and wont look at Romney while Romneys looking him in the eye the entire time.

i hate to admit it but you're right.  he's definitely pedaling BS better than obama right now.

leatherhat said:
I feel Romney is really rolling Obama right now. Obama seems really agitated.

Yeah... Obama seemed to be really getting hammered the first 3 segements, he's holding his own and winning a couple now though.

My guess is when they debate prepped him they got too much in their own koolaide and debate prepped him vs the Obama campaign's version of Mitt Romney rather then Mitt Romney.

The first few segements Obama kept going back to stuff that Romney specifically said wasn't the case.  It made him look pretty awful.  Next two debates he should do much better.

I wonder if he got the guy who prepped Hillary for the 08 primaries.

Chris Hu said:
Kenology said:
Neither. The scope of the debate is far too narrow.

No talk about poverty, wealth inequality, the disappearing middle class, police brutality, stop & frisk, the ever-expanding surveillance state, closing Guantanamo, NDAA, union-busting, the assault on public education, fracking, the Keystone oil pipeline, climate change, the UN arms treaty, etc.

Well the last president that actually cared about poor people was LBJ.  I'm pretty sure no one of this forum is actually old enough to remeber his presidency.

I'd argue Jimmy Carter.  Though unfortunitly Jimmy Carter was using Keynsian economics at the time which lead to massive Stagflation.

Argueably Clinton when he increased the CRA as well (though again... ended up as a negative rather then a positive.)

Around the Network

is it me or Romney getting a little to cocky/a little disrespectful....I mean everytime Obama's getting his(or trying to) get his point across he's smiling/grinning....

They need a buzzer next time. lol.

Honestly, I don't think that either candidate "crushed" the other and I suspect they both accomplished what they wanted to ...

Mit Romney presented his ideas in a way that probably swayed the opinions of many people who were watching the debate; and Obama repeated his talking points enough that they will get repeated on the news (out of context and without the reply by Romney) when they claim he won the debate.

Why shouldnt obama be agitated?
Romney has broken every single rule of the debate.

I do think romney did a better job on economic policy, but obama rightly made the points, "where were these ideas the past four years".
And sure he was talking the five trillion cut. That was romneys plan a week ago. Obama did a good job pointing that out.
romney did have some good politics, but again, where are these ideas?

Obama had his moments but I say Romney takes the first debate.