By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Does the failure of your unfavorable company make you happy? Why?

Tagged games:

How (un)successful do you want your unfavorable company to be?

I want them obliterated! 36 33.03%

Not obliterated; just les... 41 37.61%

Just not extrememly more ... 15 13.76%

I don't care how successful they are. 17 15.60%

Total:109
man-bear-pig said:
the2real4mafol said:
man-bear-pig said:
the2real4mafol said:
man-bear-pig said:

It's a sexual turn-on for me when I see Sony or Nintys share price fall. Even thinking about it is making me aroused... *sets pillow on lap to hide erection*

How do you feel when there stocks rise then lol?

I cut myself

That's sad

I've never done it though, because their stocks are always falling. BAHAHAHAHA!!!

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

Around the Network

Reading some earlier hypocritical post .. Wow.

Anyways, I don't care if the competition is failing or doing well, as long as my brand of choice makes progress I'll be satisfied.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

ill be honest here, i wish sony, ms and nintendo go bankrupt, and for apple to step in and dominate the gaming industry. apple pippin 2 FTW!!!!

OHH and the iPippin will be the best portable ever!!!!

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Surely, I can't be the only one who orders a celebratory pizza each time bad Sony news pops up?

No, but surely enough you are the only one who eats it without looking what the PS3 Fan-delivery boy did to it before he delivers it.

...and yes, we knew

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Company i would like them to fail : EA,Capcom,Bioware,Infinity Ward

Company i would like them to succeed : Ubisoft,Bethesda Game Studios,Treyarch,Eidos Montreal,Gearbox Software

Around the Network
happydolphin said:

I do believe that historically Sony fans have been much more vocal about the superiority of the brand they preferred, and very ennerving it was for two long generations (PS1 and PS2), and that trends finally began fizzling out just lately with the relatively low performance of the PS3 sales (esp. at launch) and now of the Vita. So yeah, it makes me happy when the people who spoke so loud against Nintendo for so long get something coming to them. It also makes me happy when an industry that was led by Nintendo turns to Sony and all the media and buzz is around Sony and bashing Nintendo, it would make one happy when all that is squashed, as one's had their excitement equally squashed.

Having said that, the minority of PS fans that I like have either changed with time to be better and more balanced people, or the bad ones have just left, leaving us with a much better harmony between the camps in general. Also, Sony's dedication to game content and compelling gaming experiences makes me want them to persist through time with no bounds. It's like the pole opposite emotion.

So when it comes to my nemesis console (the Playstation), I am bipolar. Just kidding. But to be honest, most of my feelings of resentment that stemmed from the breakup of Nintendo and Square, and many other J-companies back in the N64 days is coming to an end. I just hope no camp returns to that kind of attitude, and the fire is quelled once and for all.

Im happy to have read this. 

I like having competition in the market, but I despise Sony in general, even though I own most of the systems they've put out (PS1, PS2 x2, PSP, with plans for the other two).

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Sony was forced out of the videogame race. Competition is good. A three-console competition isn't so much. In the third, fourth, and fifth generations, we essentially only had two-console competition (Sega had gone niche with the Saturn, albeit accidentally), and I think gaming benefited a lot from it. Three consoles is making things too expensive for developers and gamers alike.

SW-5120-1900-6153

sales2099 said:
Jay520 said:
amp316 said:
I personally don't want to see any of the "big three" fail. More competition breeds a better gaming environment for everyone. While I have to admit that I found some of Sony's stumbles a bit amusing, I don't want to see them go belly up. The console wars are kind of like professional sports. I always cheer for the Bears to beat the Packers (and hope they do), but the NFL wouldn't be as successful or the same without those darned cheeseheads.
On the other hand, if the Miami Heat disappeared from the face of the planet I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Thankfully, gaming doesn't have a Miami Heat.

Sales2099 used the Sports analogy before, but it doesn't really hold weight.

Fans of gaming are nothing like fans of sports. The entire purpose of sports is to have one particular team be victorious. And in sports, a team's victory is entirely dependent upon another team's loss. It's not possible for two teams to win in the same competition. Therefore, it would be pretty difficult for a person to root for two different teams when competiting. If you identify yourself as an X fan, you're going to inherently want the Y team to fail as they could prevent X team from maximum success.

The opposite is true for gaming fans, at least most of us. It is quite possible for multiple companies in the gaming industries to be successful. There does not need to be a loser to allow for another company's success. I sports, success is dependent upon how much better you are than the other teams. In the gaming industry, success doesn't have to be doing-better-than-the-other-company. In order for one console to succeed, the other console does not need to lose or fail. 

Youd think so.

You can be a success in your own right, but still loose in sales. The sports analogy holds merit in that sales determines victory, regardless of individual corporate measures of the term "success".

But where the anaology is most accurate is the sheer loyalty. Sports fans are loyal to a city and people on the team that have little to not relation to the actual fan.....except that the person lives in that town. Its just buildings and dirt and imaginery borders, yet this team somehow represents this fan. When the team wins, the city wins, and by extension, the fan wins.

Gaming fans identify with the corporation and console they make because they identify with what the console offers. When the console gets an exclusive, timed DLC, whatever that gives it a competritive edge, its a victory for the fan. When the console sells more then the biggest competitor, its a win because thei opinion that their console is the best is validated in the sales numbers.

You seem to ignore that comparison....how both groups are extremely loyal and identify with the image of the team/console.

What you say holds weight. I however, must say, when I first came to this site I was all about Microsoft, but now I am all about Sony. Why do you think that occured? Theres some of us who are not loyal to a banner, but rather to companies that primarily focus on the production or acquisition of exclusives. If one cannot afford all of the consoles, the console that produces the most becomes home (as long as the company does their job). I am just explaining myself and people resemble the same traits, not everyone.

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft fans Stop this console wars!!!!

Why can't we be friends??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFJapPwmY_0

Jay520 said:
sales2099 said:

Your first point is about how corporations view eachother when my point is how a gamer fan would see those numbers and determine a personal victory. This isnt about a corporations definitions of success but how a fan would define it.

Hey you cant exactly pack up and leave your current city to move somewhere else because they are more likely to win. Its far easier to switch loyalties in gaming then in sports. If it was easy to move cities for the average person, then the analogy would fit better but alas it isnt feasible. But I stand by my loyalty comment. Most gamers are how you describe them: fickle and go where the games go. But the fans are the minority, real fans that are invested in the 1st party franchises that are only home to that certain corporation.

Third point again is about corporate measures when I am talking about how a fan would define victory. Two opposite criteria.

In terms of fans, it's the same. All a gamer should care about is if the company is making enough money to continue providing great experiences. In terms of success, from a fan's perspective, all that matters is if pleasing that fan is financially viable.

Exactly, most gamers are like I described them. They just care about games. They aren't loyal to any company. Any 'gamer' that puts companies above gaming, should really rethink their priorities as a gamer.

No, I was talking about it from a fan's perspective. As a fan, all that matters to you, in terms of success, should be whether the company is successful enough to continue to keep you entertained. It shouldn't matter if the competitor is failing or is successful. In fact, in many cases, a successful competitor can improve your favorite company's offerings.

Im just saying you cant deny that many gamers feel attached to certain 1st party franchises and by extension the company that makes them.

Its funny you say this because most Sony fans I encounter dont care that Sony is loosing money and yet they want Sony to keep pumping out more exclusives.

I get the distinct impression they want Sony to bleed to give them a constant flow of games they they may or may not even buy.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.