By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Embracing the Wii U: 5 Reasons Haters Should Reconsider Slamming the Console

HoloDust said:

cudos to Activision (as much as I don't like them) for porting CoD titles (as much as I don't like them) to Wii, that must've been some serious work there, for relatively small number of copies sold compared to Wii user base and PS360 versions. 

The Wii conversions of COD were clearly profitable, otherwise they wouldn't have kept making them.
It is indeed quite impressive to see some of the large setpieces of MW3 replicated on the Wii, even if they're not as crisp.

Around the Network
DieAppleDie said:
 even Patcher said Nintendo is doing things right xD

So... according to Mr. Pachters track record, Wii U is going to fail?

the haters hate for no reason, so reason won't change anything!

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
JustThatGamer said:

God of War: Ascension >>>> Bayonetta 2. 

Doubtful, as none of the God of War games so far are as good as the first Bayonetta. ;)

The Market and the critics would highly disagree

Those both gravitate towards familiar brand names.

Ok, GOW 1 sold more and got better reviews when it was still unfamiliar brand name

Standards for action games were different in 2005 to 2010 I'd argue, and GoW didn't have Bayonetta's divisive presentation.

Combat is the key factor; it's so much deeper and more fluid in Bayonetta, and that's what matters most in an action game.

Ha, and yet people still loved GOW3 (in 2010) more than Bayonetta.This is a fact And Bayonetta's divisive presentation should alone tell you something about game's quality.

And combat yeah... i loved the whole ''press triangle to do a combo'' thing

By 2010 GoW3 was a familiar franchise inflated by the memories of how great it's gameplay was... in 2005. And Bayonetta was divisive stylistically because some people are easily offended, not because it was in any way bad.

The amount of combos, abilities, variables, and the rest dwarfed the comparatively simplistic GoW system. Chaining together a wide variety of moves with dodges and tranformations at a breakneck pace made Kratos feel like an arthritic old man.

So GOW3 got better reviews because it was a familiar franchise and Bayonetta got worse reviews even tho it's a better game (especially on PS3)? Ok great argument, but my point still stands, the fact is that GOW is generally considered to be better in the VG industry

Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
JustThatGamer said:

Doubtful, as none of the God of War games so far are as good as the first Bayonetta. ;)

Ok, GOW 1 sold more and got better reviews when it was still unfamiliar brand name

Standards for action games were different in 2005 to 2010 I'd argue, and GoW didn't have Bayonetta's divisive presentation.

Combat is the key factor; it's so much deeper and more fluid in Bayonetta, and that's what matters most in an action game.

Ha, and yet people still loved GOW3 (in 2010) more than Bayonetta.This is a fact And Bayonetta's divisive presentation should alone tell you something about game's quality.

By 2010 GoW3 was a familiar franchise inflated by the memories of how great it's gameplay was... in 2005. And Bayonetta was divisive stylistically because some people are easily offended, not because it was in any way bad.

The amount of combos, abilities, variables, and the rest dwarfed the comparatively simplistic GoW system. Chaining together a wide variety of moves with dodges and tranformations at a breakneck pace made Kratos feel like an arthritic old man.

So GOW3 got better reviews because it was a familiar franchise and Bayonetta got worse reviews even tho it's a better game (especially on PS3)? Ok great argument, but my point still stands, the fact is that GOW is generally considered to be better in the VG industry

Popularity and quality don't necessarily correlate. That's why things like Twilight and COD are popular.

I don't need reviewers or other gamers to decide for me what's good and what isn't.

Bayonetta outperforms GoW in the most important aspect of an action game, combat, therefore it's better.

Around the Network
Soleron said:

Obvious rebuttals

- Nothing first-party that takes advantage of its power has been announced except maybe Pikmin 3.
- Then announce games with those possibilities in. The Wii/Kinect/Move showed you can get burned by waiting for potential to be realised.
- Those weren't the mistakes costing it sales, except possibly stable online matchmaking. And the state of that on Wii U looks the same as Wii, reading between the lines. We know Nintendo will abandon Wii U development in a few years in favour of 3DS+1 just like they did for Wii->3DS->Wii U in that order.
- There is no evidence that third parties are choosing to support Wii U, or that cross-platform titles with /next/-gen will arrive at the same time or same condition on Wii U as they will on PS4/X720.
- ZombiU is the best example of a third party game? Bayonetta is paid for, no one else is voluntarily bringing AAA-style Wii U exclusives. "We'll have many games that use GamePad" - then please announce them first.

All in all the article wants us to buy on promises which the Wii and 3DS also had plenty of. Rational customers will wait for games they want to buy to come out before actually purchasing. Hating on Wii U is also irrational, but making an informed choice not to buy just yet is sensible.

Your first argument only applies to launch shoppers. We all know that they will release great 1st party games in the future that take advantage of the graphics even more than Pikmin does. 

curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
JustThatGamer said:

Popularity and quality don't necessarily correlate. That's why things like Twilight and COD are popular.

I don't need reviewers or other gamers to decide for me what's good and what isn't.

Bayonetta outperforms GoW in the most important aspect of an action game, combat, therefore it's better.

Are you seriously comparing God of War to Twilight?

I'm with player1x3 here. God of War is far superior to bayonetta. I played the bayonetta demo after all the fuss over it and found it to be a complete mess of a game. The music, sounds, art style, story, and combat mechanics completely turned me off. That doesn't mean its a bad game. Each is entitled to his opinion but I have seen this type of attitutude from bayonetta fans before. Its almost an elitist attitude that they are more enlightened and therefore know better that bayonetta is better than god of war. Why cant people just accept different opinions?

joesampson said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
Player1x3 said:
curl-6 said:
JustThatGamer said:

Are you seriously comparing God of War to Twilight?

I'm with player1x3 here. God of War is far superior to bayonetta. I played the bayonetta demo after all the fuss over it and found it to be a complete mess of a game. The music, sounds, art style, story, and combat mechanics completely turned me off. That doesn't mean its a bad game. Each is entitled to his opinion but I have seen this type of attitutude from bayonetta fans before. Its almost an elitist attitude that they are more enlightened and therefore know better that bayonetta is better than god of war. Why cant people just accept different opinions?

No, I'm just using it as an example that popularity =/= quality.

I am accepting of different opinions, I am merely expressing my own.

I'm not saying any of you only like GoW because it's established, but in my opinion, this factor does sway critics and sales.

cunger said:
Soleron said:

Your first argument only applies to launch shoppers. We all know that they will release great 1st party games in the future that take advantage of the graphics even more than Pikmin does. 

No we don't. Because there's nothing announced.

What's with this site and its Nintendo fandom? Like a person has to like everything Nintendo releases or they shouldn't be playing video games. Granted they do have 1 legendary IP (Zelda) but Metroid isn't the best game in its genre and Mario is clearly a product of nostalgia more so than a great and enthralling game. Mario games are fun but they're the only games that are solely rated on fun and nothing else. No story, no character development, no pace, no structure, no nothing. Every other video game without those elements is docked review points but when reviewers are looking over a Mario game they list those reasons as reasons they so much love Mario games.