By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Embracing the Wii U: 5 Reasons Haters Should Reconsider Slamming the Console

Don't know why so many Nintendo haters there. Nintendo never failed me, it's always day 1 for me since N64 era.

Yes, I'm a fanboy. Case closed, please don't debate me.

Around the Network
Deegan said:
Don't know why so many Nintendo haters there. Nintendo never failed me, it's always day 1 for me since N64 era.

So, you don't want to debate, you are a fanboy, and can't understand why people would dislike Nintendo?

Do you see how bad your statement is?  You don't care about anything but your view. Of course you wouldn't be able to understand why people would prefer other consoles - which seemingly happens very often anymore.

As for the OP, there are obvious rebuttals to all of them. A well-thought out argument against the WiiU can be made. You may not like those reasons, but they exist. However, that doesn't stop you, nor should stop you, from buying the console.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Deegan said:

So, you don't want to debate (Yes!), you are a fanboy (YES!!), and can't understand why people would dislike Nintendo (YESSS!!!)?

For the rest, please see my last sentence above ;)

Do you see how bad your statement is?  You don't care about anything but your view. Of course you wouldn't be able to understand why people would prefer other consoles - which seemingly happens very often anymore.

As for the OP, there are obvious rebuttals to all of them. A well-thought out argument against the WiiU can be made. You may not like those reasons, but they exist. However, that doesn't stop you, nor should stop you, from buying the console.

HoloDust said:
bazmeistergen said:
HoloDust said:

I think that's pretty much obvious - AAA (or coming AAAA, whatever that might be) game developers want power, and lots of it for their next-gen games. And when I say power, I don't mean just for visuals, but for AI, physics and other stuff. Mikey Neumann, creative director at Gearbox, in last Bonus Round on GT talked about how he wants to see hardware PhysX enhanced visuals (PC version) of Borderlands 2 in all next-gen titles. And for that you need power. Lots of it. Something that e6760, unfortunatelly, does not have. So, combined with all other things, I'd guess major developers will be giving much more attention to 720/PS4 once they come out. I don't expect 3rd party support for Wii U to be as abysmal as with Wii, but I doubt it it will be anywhere near support for next MicroSony offerings.

The thing you are missing is the increasing cost of development and the fact that we don't know how powerful the other consoles (if they even release one) will be. People may well be surprised by what Sony and Microsoft come out with.

Actually, I don't think cost of development for next-gen will be that huge of a leap (some estimates put it around 15-20%) - most of that transition has already been done in jump from PS2/XboX/GC to current gen. And "all real-time" engines like UE4 will just make development even easier for artists than it is with current engines, so lot of savings there (very nicely explained in UE4 tech demo video).

As for power of 720/PS4....there has been some rumours lately for both of them, 720's being bit more realiable I'd say - if final specs are anywhere near what those rumours are stating we might very well end up seeing difference of some 4x in power beetween (at least) 720 and WiiU. But since I was talking about physics, I'll just post comparison of e6760 and equivalent of rumoured 720's GPU power (though only one test, SPH fluid simulation - fuild simulation is exactly the stuff you have see a lot in Borderlands 2 PC PhysX version):

http://www.clbenchmark.com/compare.jsp?config_0=12513567&config_1=11973646

10x - shocking, right? Now I don't know how this translates to other GPU physics based tasks, but if you look that RayTrace is some 12x times as powerfull....that's why I think that major developers might have problem porting easily 720/PS4 titles to WiiU once they get the hang of their power.

But 15-20% more will elevate games with the same percentage. So games will be at least 69 euro's (don't know the retail prices for games outside Europe) so that's not something to take lightly.
Also, what does the UE4 cost for dev's to use? Epic themselves will be able to create nice and shiny games which will probably be exclusive anyway but other dev's will have to fork out money for the engine. I don't know how much the UE4 engine will cost but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's not particularly cheap. The same goes for other 'Next-Gen' engines.

As for the rumored 720 GPU, could you give me a link please? Not to say your wrong. I'm Just interested.

haha.  Mr. Literal. 

Please tell me you're still in grade school.  If not, the school system failed you.

Around the Network
JustThatGamer said:

Ugh, why can't hardcore Nintendo fans accept that some people just don't like Nintendo? I'm not a 'hater', to be a hater I'd actually have to care about Nintendo's products and I don't, I don't like any of Nintendos franchises and probably never will because they refuse to make any worthwhile new IPs. I don't like what I've seen of the Wii U at all, to answer why I'll just repsond to the 5 reasons I should love it:

4) The Next Generation and Support of Struggling Publishers - Video game graphics have huge room for improvemnt, PS4 & 720 will make the Wii U look a generation behind. I'd rather wait for new IPs on the other platforms, they both do a much better in than Nintendo in this regard.

So the Wii U, Nintendo as a company offer nothing that interests pr excites me. I can see why some people are interested in the Wii U and like Nintendo products, I have no problem with that, I do however hate being called a hater just because I genuinely don't like something.
>User was moderated for this post [RH]

There is a problem with your 'Number 4'. The technology you speak of doesn't exist. Gaming and PC hardware have barely gone anywhere in the last 2 years. My 3 year old HD4890 still runs every new game maxed out, and while newer cards are more powerful, they're not significantly so. It takes a good 2 years to develop console hardware, choosing from currently available hardware and modifying it and applying it to a console environment. So even if the Ps4 and 720 use hardware thats only just come out, for starters it'll be middle-range hardware so it can be pushed easily and won't overheat. Secondly, no matter what they choose, it won't be much better than whats in the WiiU. The technology you speak of to make the WiiU look a generation behind physically doesn't exist. So much ignorance surrounding the hardware industry and the WiiU.

Check out the graphical difference between Oblivion and Skyrim. Early 360 vs late 360. THATs how much of a graphical leap you get from pushing really old hardware in a console. If you put the hardware thats in the Ps3 in a PC, no way in the world would it run anything on Ps3 at all, the tech is so slow, but putting any technology into a console means it can be pushed 10x harder than it ever could in a PC as games are significantly optimized for that hardware. So when you apply that thinking to the WiiU, we have hardware thats getting on maybe only 2 years old when it was brand new, and for the next 6-7 years, it'll be able to be pushed 10x harder than it ever would in a PC and easily match whatever games come out in the next 6 years and run them smoothly.

You expect the Ps4/720 to smash the WiiU but its impossible. The technology in the Ps4/720 can't be any more than 2 years newer than whats in the WiiU, and since gaming technology has barely budged in that amount of time, its not going to matter whats in the Ps4/720 cause at most it might be 20%-40% more powerful, which in the grand scheme of things is going to make no difference to anything. We're going to have a totally graphically even console generation incoming, with every next-gen console, Ps4/WiiU/720, all running all game in 1080p at 60fps. The WiiU is already doing it, and its early days, with tons more horsepower to be squeezed out of it as exampled in my Oblivion vs Skyrim graphical argument early on. I'm sick of repeating all this to ignorant fanboys who have no idea about the significant slowdown in the progress of gaming hardware. The technology doesn't exist to destroy the WiiU, Microsoft and Sony are not stupid enough to try and release super expensive consoles again, and next gen is going to be graphically even. So, you're point is idiotic. I understand you're not a fan of anything Nintendo, and while i personally think you're really missing out on a lot of excellent games, i respect your opinion. But don't try and turn your opinion around and state it as fact when it comes to hardware, because you are sorely mistaken.

Baron said:
HoloDust said:
bazmeistergen said:
HoloDust said:

I think that's pretty much obvious - AAA (or coming AAAA, whatever that might be) game developers want power, and lots of it for their next-gen games. And when I say power, I don't mean just for visuals, but for AI, physics and other stuff. Mikey Neumann, creative director at Gearbox, in last Bonus Round on GT talked about how he wants to see hardware PhysX enhanced visuals (PC version) of Borderlands 2 in all next-gen titles. And for that you need power. Lots of it. Something that e6760, unfortunatelly, does not have. So, combined with all other things, I'd guess major developers will be giving much more attention to 720/PS4 once they come out. I don't expect 3rd party support for Wii U to be as abysmal as with Wii, but I doubt it it will be anywhere near support for next MicroSony offerings.

The thing you are missing is the increasing cost of development and the fact that we don't know how powerful the other consoles (if they even release one) will be. People may well be surprised by what Sony and Microsoft come out with.

Actually, I don't think cost of development for next-gen will be that huge of a leap (some estimates put it around 15-20%) - most of that transition has already been done in jump from PS2/XboX/GC to current gen. And "all real-time" engines like UE4 will just make development even easier for artists than it is with current engines, so lot of savings there (very nicely explained in UE4 tech demo video).

As for power of 720/PS4....there has been some rumours lately for both of them, 720's being bit more realiable I'd say - if final specs are anywhere near what those rumours are stating we might very well end up seeing difference of some 4x in power beetween (at least) 720 and WiiU. But since I was talking about physics, I'll just post comparison of e6760 and equivalent of rumoured 720's GPU power (though only one test, SPH fluid simulation - fuild simulation is exactly the stuff you have see a lot in Borderlands 2 PC PhysX version):

10x - shocking, right? Now I don't know how this translates to other GPU physics based tasks, but if you look that RayTrace is some 12x times as powerfull....that's why I think that major developers might have problem porting easily 720/PS4 titles to WiiU once they get the hang of their power.

But 15-20% more will elevate games with the same percentage. So games will be at least 69 euro's (don't know the retail prices for games outside Europe) so that's not something to take lightly.
Also, what does the UE4 cost for dev's to use? Epic themselves will be able to create nice and shiny games which will probably be exclusive anyway but other dev's will have to fork out money for the engine. I don't know how much the UE4 engine will cost but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it's not particularly cheap. The same goes for other 'Next-Gen' engines.

As for the rumored 720 GPU, could you give me a link please? Not to say your wrong. I'm Just interested.

http://www.nowgamer.com/columns/nowgamer-team-blog/1220630/xbox_720_spec_leaks_what_if_the_gpu_rumours_are_true.html

Also i might add, that the 6670, or even the rumored 7670 in the Ps3, might be 'capable' of a lot according to Ati, they don't have anywhere near the grunt to pull it off and if that GPU leak is accurate, the 720 will barely struggle to nudge 20% more powerful than the WiiU, at most.

Interesting to notice that those kind of topics about Nintendo work very well as a magnet for Sony and Microsoft uber-fans.....
If you people don´t like Nintendo, then why all this effort in reading this topic and writing a lot of bullshit ?
C´mon.. did you guys never grow up? If you don´t like Nintendo, so please, ignore everything Nintendo-related and go discuss shooters in other topic.

This is just too annoying

If, when it will drop under 150€, it won't have region lock anymore, I'll seriously consider buying one.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Baron said:
HoloDust said:

Yes, I agree, I think it's very possible we will see some increase in price. As for UE4, not sure how much it costs, but Epic has extensive list of clients, so I'm quite sure lot of them will go with UE4, if they haven't already built their own engines - if they have (and lot of big publihers/developers have, to use them as in-house engines for all titles), I'm fully expecting them to be on par or better than UE4 (honestly, UE3 is far from best engine in current-gen).

I can't find the link to site where I picked up rumoured 720/PS4 rumoured specs (it was some German site), but it was more or less detailing diagram in following http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405922,00.asp, with some additional info, crunching numbers to equivalent of slightly overclocked 7850. Some other rumours for PS4 (http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-ps4-in-deep-first-specs/) are also putting it in this range, some even mention downclocked 7950 type performance. That's just few I came across in last few months, so either 7850 or 7970m (which is downclocked mobile 7870) could be  decent starting points in lack of exact specs, considering they are around 8x (indicated next-gen projections) more powerfull than current-gen GPUs.

But, as i said earlier, I was not talking raw graphics performance here - I was just giving comparison of how those GPUs behave in physics tasks such as fluid simulation that will be (what Mikey Neumman was talking about) present as default in next-gen titles (you can even take 7770, and compare it with e6760 and it will still be shocker - 7.86x). When you combine this with other things (such as much better CPU, much more RAM) it may be reasonable to think that at least some of high-end 720 (and PS4) titles will have problem down-scaling so easily to WiiU.

This off course does not mean that publishers will automatically decide not to port them to WiiU, but they will have to invest more than if it was case of straightforward port, and then I guess it comes to how much WiiU's install base at the moment is actually interested in getting those titles on WiiU - cudos to Activision (as much as I don't like them) for porting CoD titles (as much as I don't like them) to Wii, that must've been some serious work there, for relatively small number of copies sold compared to Wii user base and PS360 versions. I do expect to see more of this for WiiU however, with difference not being as much as in case of PS360/Wii, but expecting this to be big selling point to current "core" PS360 user base, considering that WiiU versions of multiplatform games will be inferior to 720/PS4 versions, is bit of overstretch IMO.

This does not mean stating this is slamming, bashing or hating console - in my opinion WiiU is solid product in line with Ninty buiseness philosophy which will have some great games, both 1st and 3rd party - I just don't see it as appealing to "core" market they want so much to  attract as they would like it to be.