By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U or 3DS this holiday season?

If you could only buy one, which would you buy?

3DS 25 16.34%

Wii U 113 73.86%

I'd get an iPhone 5/see results 15 9.80%

Total:153

Pretty simple question, which one are you more likely to buy if you could only get one?

I myself am trying to figure this out. I have every system except the 3DS and of course the Wii U.

My pros for the 3DS are:

Cheaper

More games

3D (I am a 3D uber fan)

My cons are:

Already have a 3G Vita

3D (by my standards the 3D is "weak")

For the Wii U my pros are:

Newer

Less childish

Pikmin 3

Best graphics

Its cons are:

Expensive (I'd go pro)

Not launched yet (day one systems are a gamble)

Muilt-plat games I'd get on PS3

So these are my pros and cons of each system, what are yours? And if you could only buy one, which would it be?

Around the Network

"less childish" ......... wut.

As someone who already has a 3DS, I'd suggest that one, especially dat nice XL model, mmmmm. It already has a substantial library built up. You can use the $100-150 you'd save in hardware costs to buy at least a few great retail games and a solid half-dozen great eShop/Virtual Console games.

The Wii U has a really nice launch line-up, but it'll be a little while before its library is as broad as the 3DS's, as well as before all of its features are fully up-and-running.

Although in the end it comes down to the games. Look at what's available and what's coming out. Maybe none of the 3DS games really interest you but you're drooling over ZombiU. Maybe you don't care about Zombies and you want a crazy awesome rail shooter/action game like Kid Icarus.

Also maybe take into consideration how ridiculously difficult it will be to obtain a Wii U this Holiday.

the_dengle said:

"less childish" ......... wut.

As someone who already has a 3DS, I'd suggest that one, especially dat nice XL model, mmmmm. It already has a substantial library built up. You can use the $100-150 you'd save in hardware costs to buy at least a few great retail games and a solid half-dozen great eShop/Virtual Console games.

The Wii U has a really nice launch line-up, but it'll be a little while before its library is as broad as the 3DS's, as well as before all of its features are fully up-and-running.

Although in the end it comes down to the games. Look at what's available and what's coming out. Maybe none of the 3DS games really interest you but you're drooling over ZombiU. Maybe you don't care about Zombies and you want a crazy awesome rail shooter/action game like Kid Icarus.

Also maybe take into consideration how ridiculously difficult it will be to obtain a Wii U this Holiday.

LOL yes the Wii U is "less childish" than the 3DS outside of us gamers.

I'd go with the cheaper small 3DS.

Agreed.

Wii U has Pikmin and ZombiU at launch that I like a lot while 3DS has Marioland, Kingdom Hearts, and Resident Evil. It's pretty even.

That wouldn't be a problem unless on November 18th I just decide to stroll out and buy one.

lol @ those pros and cons in the OP.

I would go Wii U, Nintendo doesn't have as wide spread launch failures  as the other two companys. Im not saying they don't have failures but I still have both my launch day Wii's and have not had any problems with them. Plus if you have any problems with the console in the first 18 months, that isn't user damage, Nintendo will send you a new one for free. You have to ship the old one back and they pay the shipping. At least that's my experience with them when my Gamecube died near the end of its warentee.

Edit: Im using my phone and having a little trouble with it. So sorry about the block of text.

Around the Network

If I could only choose one, I would go Wii U all the way. The 3DS is nice, but the way nintendo treats the western release schedule is just bad. Japan gets big 3DS games every fricken week and I started buying DS games months ago. I can't imagine it will get better after Wii U release and the Wii U will have a nice mixed line up of western and japanese games. Also, the obligatory:

So, What's wrong Wii U?

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

I would choose the 3ds because it has a lot more game that interest me at the moment.

-

No one owns the console yet so you cannot even talk about cons lol. It will feel different when you own it and will begin changing your mind. At the moment, I am actually looking forward to get the multiplatform games on Wii-U. You can connect online and either choose to play with pro controller or use the tablet controller.

Tbh sell the Vita and buy both.

The problem with me is I have a 3ds it has great games so If I could only buy one I would be stupid to buy another 3ds. So I would buy a WiiU.

Btw.
Why will you buy mutiplat for your PS3?

I mean maybe not the launch games but almost all games should be better on WiiU and have the bonus of the gamepad.
I stopped buying 360 or Ps3 games months ago because I will most likely get all for WiiU (in case they come out) If not then I can still grab the now discounted PS3 and 360 versions.

P.S.  Your avatar looks like a WiiU inside aluminium foil   LOL so I guess the universe already gave you the answer you sought!

I already own a 3DS and have pre-ordered a Wii U, so I'm torn on this one. If I could own only one going forward I would pick Wii U, if only because console games just tend to be bigger and better than their handheld counterparts.

But I think Jazz' idea about selling the Vita and buying both is a good one. It looks like there will be some good cross-functionality between Wii U and 3DS, and both systems feature 1) backwards compatability, and 2) a unique library of games that will only get better in the next two years.