By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Type CONFIRMED! Custom AMD E6760!

So it essentially has a partially nerfed HD 6570 GDDR5 graphics card.  Just in case anybody is wondering, that's a joke lol!   It can probably play games that look better than the current consoles, but not much.  At most, it will run games at 1080p with 30 fps, same settings as they have now.  In 720p, 60 FPS on med-high might be possible...

Around the Network
Mazty said:
576 Gflops...so not even an 8800 ultra? In fact more like the 8800GT? Nice nintendo...sadly you're 6 years too late to impress anyone with those specs.

I wouldn't really compare gpus with different archicture by Gflops 

for example afaik the 360 GPU(Xenos) has 240Gflops and the PS3 GPU (RSX) 400.4 Gflops of processing power, but due to it's way better architecture (and better access to ram/edram) the Xenos does outperform the RSX

lilbroex said:
Lafiel said:
Barozi said:

So still far worse than the GPU I bought 3 years ago (4890)...
Hope it's not true.

other rumors I heard about the WiiU GPU pointed to the 4870 or equivalent, which is better than the E6760, but obivously still a bit worse than the 4890

Well, if you consider that a 48xx series gpu used DirectX10.1 and Shader Model 4.0, and a 6760 type gpu uses DirectX 11 and Shader Model 5 equvilent, I thinkthe visual results on screen will be far better than what the perfomance would suggest. Lowers number with better results. That is what Nintendo goes for usually.

So, its definitely not worse than the 4890 being it that is can produce graphical features that are beyond anything the 4890 can produce even with its lower numbered perfomance.

ofcourse you have a point there, but some of the newer features like Tesselation are very very power hungry, so the question is if they can really use the SM5.0 effects that improve the visuals with a chip like the E6760

Captain_Tom said:

So it essentially has a partially nerfed HD 6570 GDDR5 graphics card.  Just in case anybody is wondering, that's a joke lol!   It can probably play games that look better than the current consoles, but not much.  At most, it will run games at 1080p with 30 fps, same settings as they have now.  In 720p, 60 FPS on med-high might be possible...

Its already doing better than that according to the Toki Tori, BO2, and ZombiU devs.

Lafiel said:
Mazty said:
576 Gflops...so not even an 8800 ultra? In fact more like the 8800GT? Nice nintendo...sadly you're 6 years too late to impress anyone with those specs.

I wouldn't really compare gpus with different archicture by Gflops 

for example afaik the 360 GPU(Xenos) has 240Gflops and the PS3 GPU (RSX) 400.4 Gflops of processing power, but due to it's way better architecture (and better access to ram/edram) the Xenos does outperform the RSX

That's more of a programming issue rather then a power issue - blame the guys at Sony who decided to go for an experiemental APU build. If the PS3 is fully used it can kick out more power then the 360 but find the programmers who can be arsed to fine tune a game so much for, tbh, not much of an improvement. 

Pavolink said:
MDMAlliance said:

What do you mean?  It has 480 processors for shading.  It has 480 semi-cores.  

For non tech-y guys like me, I have some questions. Maybe you could help:

-In comparision with PS360, is it "better" or just an "ok upgrade"?

-Could it handle games form next generation?

-Is it enough modern to get support from the new engines?

-Could this mean a new Wii, ithe context of different architecture compared to the other consoles?

-Could it handle PC downports?

Thanks!

Andrespetmonkey said:

SD confirmed.

Not Wii HD.

Like my previous post said, it is stronger than current consoles.  I think it could handle heavy PC games like Metro, Crysis, and BF3.  However they would definately be in 720p with medium settings.  So overall yes it can handle PC downports, but probably for only a year.

Around the Network

This is what Nintendo has always done really save for Wii.

NES was a super computer...by 1982 standards when it came out in 1985.

SNES was a super computer...by 1989 standards when it came out in 1991.

N64 was a super computer...by 1994 standards when it came out in 1996.

GC was a super computer...by 1999 standards when it came out in 2001.

Wii was a super computer...by 2000 standards when it came out in 2006.

Wii U is a super computer...by say, 2009 standards when it comes out in 2012.

Nintendo's model assumes profitable hw + mass consumer adoption + strong internal games = massive profit. Wii came at the most difficult time in Nintendo's history so they spent less on hw than usual

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

good
but gimme games already

This would be a lot easier if Nintendo just came out and confirmed all the specs. I think the fact they don't want to talk about it tells us it might not be what we hope.

TheBardsSong said:
This would be a lot easier if Nintendo just came out and confirmed all the specs. I think the fact they don't want to talk about it tells us it might not be what we hope.

Its something they have done for over a decade. It tells us nothing other than that they are stilling doing things that same way.

TheSource said:

This is what Nintendo has always done really save for Wii.

NES was a super computer...by 1982 standards when it came out in 1985.

SNES was a super computer...by 1989 standards when it came out in 1991.

N64 was a super computer...by 1994 standards when it came out in 1996.

GC was a super computer...by 1999 standards when it came out in 2001.

Wii was a super computer...by 2000 standards when it came out in 2006.

Wii U is a super computer...by say, 2009 standards when it comes out in 2012.

Nintendo's model assumes profitable hw + mass consumer adoption + strong internal games = massive profit. Wii came at the most difficult time in Nintendo's history so they spent less on hw than usual

what?