By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Type CONFIRMED! Custom AMD E6760!

Kynes said:
Zappykins said:
Ok, can someone answer this?

If it actually has this GPU, and since it has 480 shaders to X360's 48 shaders. Does that imply at the same hertz, that it is 10 times as powerful?

(Would I guess would transfer into 3 times better looking?)

Not really, AMD (ATI) changed the way they counted the shaders, before they were 5-way VLIW shaders, so those 48 X360 shaders are the equivalent to 240 shaders. The E6760 has newer technology (newer compression techniques, compatibility with newer effects, much easier to program for...) and more and faster RAM, so it should be at least 2-3 times more powerful in the graphics department, clock per clock. We don't know the final frequencies, and it's not sure that Nintendo uses this chip, but if they do use it, it's a very good chip for the power envelope that WiiU has.

I thought they were 4 way shaders, not 5 way?  Thus only 192?  Although, that could explain another spec number that was coming out to 240.

Thanks for explaining how they count shaders differently.  It is a little sneaky of AMD, but I understand why they did it.  And it is actually more clear.  I knew it couldn't be right (as much as it would have been cool) if the WiiU GPU was ten times more powerful than the X360.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Zappykins said:
Kynes said:
Zappykins said:

If it actually has this GPU, and since it has 480 shaders to X360's 48 shaders. Does that imply at the same hertz, that it is 10 times as powerful?

Not really, AMD (ATI) changed the way they counted the shaders, before they were 5-way VLIW shaders, so those 48 X360 shaders are the equivalent to 240 shaders. The E6760 has newer technology (newer compression techniques, compatibility with newer effects, much easier to program for...) and more and faster RAM, so it should be at least 2-3 times more powerful in the graphics department, clock per clock. We don't know the final frequencies, and it's not sure that Nintendo uses this chip, but if they do use it, it's a very good chip for the power envelope that WiiU has.

I thought they were 4 way shaders, not 5 way?  Thus only 192?  Although, that could explain another spec number that was coming out to 240.

Thanks for explaining how they count shaders differently.  It is a little sneaky of AMD, but I understand why they did it.  And it is actually more clear.  I knew it couldn't be right (as much as it would have been cool) if the WiiU GPU was ten times more powerful than the X360.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_%28graphics_chip%29

"On the chip, the shader units are organized in three SIMD groups with 16 processors per group, for a total of 48 processors. Each of these processors is composed of a 5-wide vector unit (total 5 FP32 ALUs) that can serially execute up to two instructions per cycle (a multiply and an addition). Thus each of the 48 processors can perform 10 floating-point ops per cycle. All processor in a SIMD group execute the same instruction, so in total up to three instruction threads can be simultaneously under execution."

ATI used 5 way-VLIW units. They used XYZWT (X Y Z W being operations on the 4 color values, so they need simpler units, T being transcendental instructions as sin(x) or arctan(x), "harder" to execute so they use beefier units) up to the 6xxx series and the newer APUs, where they changed to 4 way (XYZW simpler units, using all four to calculate the transcendental operations) and then to "scalar" units on GCN (7xxx series)

ATI said they used to have approximatelly a 3.8 ocupation on the 5-way units, so most of the time one of the units was idle, that's why they changed to the 4-way units. Then they changed to the scalar units due to the GPGPU programming easiness that this type of architecture provides.

Kynes said:
Zappykins said:
Kynes said:
Zappykins said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenos_%28graphics_chip%29

"On the chip, the shader units are organized in three SIMD groups with 16 processors per group, for a total of 48 processors. Each of these processors is composed of a 5-wide vector unit (total 5 FP32 ALUs) that can serially execute up to two instructions per cycle (a multiply and an addition). Thus each of the 48 processors can perform 10 floating-point ops per cycle. All processor in a SIMD group execute the same instruction, so in total up to three instruction threads can be simultaneously under execution."

ATI used 5 way-VLIW units. They used XYZWT (X Y Z W being operations on the 4 color values, so they need simpler units, T being transcendental instructions as sin(x) or arctan(x), "harder" to execute so they use beefier units) up to the 6xxx series and the newer APUs, where they changed to 4 way (XYZW simpler units, using all four to calculate the transcendental operations) and then to "scalar" units on GCN (7xxx series)

ATI said they used to have approximatelly a 3.8 ocupation on the 5-way units, so most of the time one of the units was idle, that's why they changed to the 4-way units. Then they changed to the scalar units due to the GPGPU programming easiness that this type of architecture provides.

Thanks for clarification, they state on the same page in specs that it's 4ALUs per shader processor, which does not compute to 240GFLOPS also stated there. However it does say 96 billion shader operations per second (3x16x4ALUsx0.5GHz)...for e6760 I suppose it would be 288 (480 x 0.6GHz), so 3x as much in shader performance.

So let me get this straight.

Someone at the online tech support center for AMD let out confidential information in an email reply to a nonchalant question about the Wii U's GPU?

And I'm also supposed to believe that the online tech support guys would actually be privy to the confidential information to begin with?

You know that face you make when you're watching TV and a politician is on stage lying to you? I'm making that face right now.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Someone's gettin' fired...

Around the Network

It's fake, fellas.

AMD's public tech support is not versed on the details of an unreleased console tech.

When your Wii or X360 has a problem, do you hit up AMD's online tech support? Didn't think so.

Even if this is true - which I doubt, it is probably not the standard HD6760.

Whatever AMD GPU the wii u uses, it would most likely be modified or updated similar to the way the original R520 was modified to become the Xenos on the X360.

AMD or ATI also updated the Gamecube's Flipper GPU to the wii's Hollywood.

So even if it is a 6760, AMD would probably have "doped" it up a bit, as this seems their standard procedure where console GPUs are concerned. Rumours also state as much.

justinian said:
Even if this is true - which I doubt, it is probably not the standard HD6760.

Whatever AMD GPU the wii u uses, it would most likely be modified or updated similar to the way the original R520 was modified to become the Xenos on the X360.

AMD or ATI also updated the Gamecube's Flipper GPU to the wii's Hollywood.

So even if it is a 6760, AMD would probably have "doped" it up a bit, as this seems their standard procedure where console GPUs are concerned. Rumours also state as much.

It is not - because it does not belong to desktop HD 67xx series which is based on Juniper cores. It belongs to Turks core, so closest desktop counterpart is HD 6570 GDDR5, or if you look at mobility cards it's HD 6650M/6750M (both Turks based).

It's fake

AMD graphics card tech support would not have access to confidential information for the console side of the business operations nor would they simply give the information way like it was nothing.

Viper1 said:

It's fake

AMD graphics card tech support would not have access to confidential information for the console side of the business operations nor would they simply give the information way like it was nothing.

probably, but all things considered the E6760 or a modified version of the same chip (Turks) does fit very nicely to what we know of the Wii U GPU