By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U GPU Type CONFIRMED! Custom AMD E6760!

Lets pull out some more standardized stats.

What was the peak polygon perfomance for the GTS 7900 and the Radeon X1600?

Lets compare that to the peak polygon performance of the 6760.

Around the Network
lilbroex said:

Ignoring the APU architecture of the PS3 are you?

Mazty said:
lilbroex said:

The PS3 GPU is a downgraded 7900(stated by Nvidia themselves) so I'm being generous by comparing it to the full scale modal.

This is an estimate anyway as no console uses a stock GPU. Stop nitpicking at meaningless things.

lilbroex said:
Mazty said:
lilbroex said:

The PS3 GPU is a downgraded 7900(stated by Nvidia themselves) so I'm being generous by comparing it to the full scale modal.

This is an estimate anyway as no console uses a stock GPU. Stop nitpicking at meaningless things.

So yes you are ignoring the APU architecture of the PS3. 
There's no point discussing this if you are only going to look at half the components. 

Plus don't forget the Wii U has two screens to output too. If you know much about multiscreen gaming, the card they are using is going to be very heavily loaded and therefore the main output will be hampered greatly by it. 

Mazty said:

So yes you are ignoring the APU architecture of the PS3. 
There's no point discussing this if you are only going to look at half the components. 

Plus don't forget the Wii U has two screens to output too. If you know much about multiscreen gaming, the card they are using is going to be very heavily loaded and therefore the main output will be hampered greatly by it. 

The CPU have to deal with the second screen, not the GPU

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network

Oh, my mistake. I was wrong about the PS3 GPU do to a post someone made earlier in this thread.

Its actually a 7800 architecture with the features cut down to around the 7600. I was mistaken do to a post someone made earlier in this thread.

I can't find all the relevent numbers. There are no max polygon counts for the ATI cards and the few counts I could find are inconsistent as some give peak hardware performance. and other give real world performance.

Well that would be surprising (in a good way) but with a GPU like that I would wonder why Wii U games look as poor as they do. Even for ports and launch games I would expect better. The CPU must be really bottlenecking lol. 

Guy from AMD thinks it's bull tho

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1668358&postcount=2583

"The tech support team at AMD doesn't have any information about console products. AMD does not provide end-user support for those, so there is no reason to provide that team with any info. Especially not for currently unreleased products. When was the last time you emailed AMD about a problem with your Xbox360 or Wii? You are not our customer. Our customer for these chips is MS or Nintendo, who pay many millions of dollars. When they have support issues/questions, they do not go through the public-facing tech support team.

They (and their lawyers) also expect us to keep our mouths shut.

This is either fake, or a support guy trying to sound like he knows something when he does not. Either way, it tells you nothing.

The vast majority of people inside AMD have no idea about the details of the WiiU. It was done by relatively small team and any information outside that team was "need-to-know". Even if you surveyed the GPU IP team which originally designed the base GPU family, >95% of them could not tell you what the configuration is. Only a few needed to be involved to get the specific configuration correct and working, and they know to keep their mouth shut. All additional modifications were done by the "need-to-know" team.

Before you ask.. Yes, I know all the details. No, I will not tell you any of them."

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

AMD IS NOT PLAYING THE LEAK GAME. DO U UNDERSTAND?

zarx said:

Well that would be surprising (in a good way) but with a GPU like that I would wonder why Wii U games look as poor as they do. Even for ports and launch games I would expect better. The CPU must be really bottlenecking lol. 

Guy from AMD thinks it's bull tho

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1668358&postcount=2583

"The tech support team at AMD doesn't have any information about console products. AMD does not provide end-user support for those, so there is no reason to provide that team with any info. Especially not for currently unreleased products. When was the last time you emailed AMD about a problem with your Xbox360 or Wii? You are not our customer. Our customer for these chips is MS or Nintendo, who pay many millions of dollars. When they have support issues/questions, they do not go through the public-facing tech support team.

They (and their lawyers) also expect us to keep our mouths shut.

This is either fake, or a support guy trying to sound like he knows something when he does not. Either way, it tells you nothing.

The vast majority of people inside AMD have no idea about the details of the WiiU. It was done by relatively small team and any information outside that team was "need-to-know". Even if you surveyed the GPU IP team which originally designed the base GPU family, >95% of them could not tell you what the configuration is. Only a few needed to be involved to get the specific configuration correct and working, and they know to keep their mouth shut. All additional modifications were done by the "need-to-know" team.

Before you ask.. Yes, I know all the details. No, I will not tell you any of them."

I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they really feel, but your source leads to some regular member of a forum saying it.  I see nowhere that indicates the person is with AMD.  

dahuman said:

The rumor started when a guy from some remote ass country I've never heard of emailed AMD and got a response, people called BS on GAF then a member on GAF tried the same trick and got the following reponse:

oh shit, no wonder rumors of DX11 was out there, it's DX11 capable.

Never ever heard of Spain???

All Jokes aside, I'd take this rumour with a huge grain of salt... Unless he is an engineer or a relative of someone who had that information, there is no reason why a tech support guy would have that information.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064