By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Game Pad Battery Life is 3-5 Hours (No USB Charging, AC Cord Only)

dissapointing.

Around the Network

Honestly, depending on how long the AC cord is, will determine if this is a problem for me or not.

I'd prefer to just plug it into the system but as long as it isn't a short cord, so that I can play while it is charging, it should be fine.

wfz said:
No USB play-n-charge kit is unacceptable, Nintendo.. especially with the low battery life and high ratio of charge time to battery life.... sigh...

I hope you can plug-n-play with an AC adapter, at least.

usb play-n-charge is useless unless you like sitting within a meter away from your console, meaning if you have a 40inch TV or bigger you are too damn close.

I'm also pretty sure the none USB cord will be cured by a third party. Since it is a trickle charge someone will come out with one. Probably Power A.

Nintendo tends to be conservative with their battery life estimates, and this estimate may be full brightness on the screen. So, we'll see if we can't get more like five hours after tweaking the settings a bit.

Around the Network
VicViper said:
Sal.Paradise said:

Too busy laughing my ass off here. 

Seriously, seeing now I jumped the shark about that glasshouse thing, for that I am sorry.

But my point is, most batteries take that long to charge, so you (we) just have to accept it - or what can we do, daydream about our 20 hour battery life that could be recharged in 30 seconds of the gameboy?

Sucks, but that's what we have.

The only reason msot batteries take this long to charge is the simple fact of ensuring the battery lasts a long time. What people do not realise is fast charge ruins batteries quicker. Ontop of that the higher the current to charge the more heat is produced whilst charging. Meaning your other components would probably melt around the battery if you fast charged lol.

Cobretti2 said:
VicViper said:
Sal.Paradise said:

Too busy laughing my ass off here. 

Seriously, seeing now I jumped the shark about that glasshouse thing, for that I am sorry.

But my point is, most batteries take that long to charge, so you (we) just have to accept it - or what can we do, daydream about our 20 hour battery life that could be recharged in 30 seconds of the gameboy?

Sucks, but that's what we have.

The only reason msot batteries take this long to charge is the simple fact of ensuring the battery lasts a long time. What people do not realise is fast charge ruins batteries quicker. Ontop of that the higher the current to charge the more heat is produced whilst charging. Meaning your other components would probably melt around the battery if you fast charged lol.

Yeah rechargeable batteries work by either stipping an elctron off the negitve pole/plate and returning it to the chemical solution, each time some of the chemical refuses to accept the electron which affects the life of the battery, fast charging ruins more of the chemical thus greatly shortening the batteries life. The choice of the size of the battery was done by Nintendo and it would seem to be a chooice of the wieght of the controller and the durablity of the battery. Its a balencing act.

Link to how rechargable batteries work.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/everyday-tech/battery5.htm

not a problem just play with the controller tethered to the console constantly, for the most part that's how games were played last gen

I was always under the impression that it was charged via USB, I definitely read months ago about this. Nintendo must've changed this just recently. That's dissapointing as I already have 3 extension jacks that will be full when I plug the Wii U AC adapter into the last plug! :-S 3-5 hours is just ok, as I have a couple of 1/2 hour breaks during my evenings play session so it can get a little extra charge then and I would normally be sat in front of my t.v so it can charge whilst I'm using it anyway.

can you still play while it's being charged??

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.