By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is PS3 set to dominate console sales for the rest of the year?

naruball said:

Right. And 360 5gb isn't? Just like there are people who don't mind the 5gb 360, there are people who don't play GT 5 or simply buy a ps3 for COD and Fifa. Different people, different tastes/needs.

wait 5gb ? damn ms riped me of ... my arcade ones only have 4gb :(

Around the Network
naruball said:
kowenicki said:
mantlepiecek said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:

With the new, sexy, smaller PS3 do you think it has what it takes to finally come out on top in a holiday season?

The price for the model is similar to the old slim, but it's far sleeker and there's a cheaper 12GB model available in Europe.

Wii U won't be a factor, because it only has around one month to sell. It doesn't look like MS are going to do much either. WIi...no need to mention that.

Disagree? Agree? Discuss below

It isnt sexy.  Its just b etter looking than the frankly fugly current slim.

It is more expensive.  You have stated "cheaper 12GB for Europe".  It is more expensive.

Also, define dominate.  The Wii came close to domination a few times but didnt make it.  The 360 and PS3 have never and will never dominate.

I expect the PS3 and 360 to end the year pretty much level after the 360 beats the PS3 over the holidays.   Buzz will surround the WiiU.  The PS3 stands to lose out a lot in Japan at the end of the year, the 360 sells nothing there so it has nothing to lose.

Wait, what does a 160GB cost right now in Euros (official price?

"Dominate" is a fancy term for coming out on top, at least these days.

Japan laps up new models, plus RE6 is coming (with huge pre-orders). I think they might do better there this year than last (for this period). Possibly

So a misuse of the word dominate then? Ok.

a 160GB with a game bundled is £199 in all stores here these days, sometimes less.  I am assuming the 12GB will be £199 too.

Japan will be hyped for WiiU and it will dominate their minds through december.

No, just an evolution of it

Well you can't compare discounted store prices to official prices. I'm sure there will be some killer deals this holiday for the new model

Why cant I?

Thats what people are used to paying at EVERY store now and as someone else has already pointed out, its actually much less if you are prepared to shop sround (I was being kind)

Lets be frank, its a poor deal.  The product is suspect (juggling installs will be tiresome) and its more expensive.  Its a terrible deal for the consumer.

I dont understand how anyone can see this iteration as good

There a lot of games that don't require installs. I am sure this will be good for them.

PS+ users won't benefit from this though. Which is why there is another sku for them.

12 GB is still enough to play GT 5 installed.

You say that likes it a good thing... surely its a given.

So if GT5 is installed and you want to play it regularly (dipping in and out as people do with that typoe of game), but at the same time you are playing other bigger games?  you are screwed?

Its a joke.

Right. And 360 5gb isn't? Just like there are people who don't mind the 5gb 360, there are people who don't play GT 5 or simply buy a ps3 for COD and Fifa. Different people, different tastes/needs.

1. Xbox 360 has a 4GB version, not 5GB. How ignorant.

2. GT5 install is basically mandatory for smooth experience.

3. Most PS3 games when installed load at a similar speed to Xbox 360 games that aren't installed. When you install a game on an Xbox 360, it generally loads much faster than when not installed.

4. At least 2GB of the 12GB will be put aside for caching, so useable will be about 10GB, give or take a few hundred MB.

5. It's not about different tastes or needs. It's that the PS3 has MANDATORY installs and the ones that are optional are generally considered MANDATORY to achive a decent loading time. The Xbox 360 doesn't have MANDATORY installs - EVER. When you install and Xbox 360 game, it is a bonus speed up in loading. It's base loading speed is very close  or better to PS3 games when they are installed. There are a sprinkling of games with long loading times where an install is considered mandatory IMO but we are talking 3-4 maximum and installing them even then doesn't "fix" those games into loading super fast but helps.

6. Sorry for repeating myself a little in 5. but you don't seem to understand.

7. Capish?

kowenicki said:
maverick40 said:
man-bear-pig said:
No, I'm pretty sure MS will dominate sales from Nov-Jan

Halo 4, Fable, Forza etc.
Plus, Xmas is more of a western tradition (UK and US) and they are both markets where the X360 dominates

The games you mentioned above will not push sales of a console. Anyone who wants to play these games will have already bought an xbox for them

Nonsense. Thats as polite as I can be.  I guarantee a hardware boost the week Halo launches.

Well show me the numbers baby! What was the boost from halo reach and forza 4?

maverick40 said:
kowenicki said:
maverick40 said:
man-bear-pig said:

Plus, Xmas is more of a western tradition (UK and US) and they are both markets where the X360 dominates

The games you mentioned above will not push sales of a console. Anyone who wants to play these games will have already bought an xbox for them

Nonsense. Thats as polite as I can be.  I guarantee a hardware boost the week Halo launches.

Well show me the numbers baby! What was the boost from halo reach and forza 4?

Halo 4 will definitely move consoles. Whenever there's a limited edition console fans of the series will buy it. But I agree that forza and fable won't have any real effect in sales. 

RolStoppable said:
Turkish said:
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Yes, the thing is gonna be big in Europe.

I ask again.  Define dominate.

Sell many units.

Define "many".

few millions for the holidays

Around the Network
maverick40 said:
man-bear-pig said:

I would love to borrow that Time Machine of yours?

kowenicki said:
naruball said:
kowenicki said:
mantlepiecek said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:
kowenicki said:
pezus said:

With the new, sexy, smaller PS3 do you think it has what it takes to finally come out on top in a holiday season?

The price for the model is similar to the old slim, but it's far sleeker and there's a cheaper 12GB model available in Europe.

Wii U won't be a factor, because it only has around one month to sell. It doesn't look like MS are going to do much either. WIi...no need to mention that.

Disagree? Agree? Discuss below

It isnt sexy.  Its just b etter looking than the frankly fugly current slim.

It is more expensive.  You have stated "cheaper 12GB for Europe".  It is more expensive.

Also, define dominate.  The Wii came close to domination a few times but didnt make it.  The 360 and PS3 have never and will never dominate.

I expect the PS3 and 360 to end the year pretty much level after the 360 beats the PS3 over the holidays.   Buzz will surround the WiiU.  The PS3 stands to lose out a lot in Japan at the end of the year, the 360 sells nothing there so it has nothing to lose.

Wait, what does a 160GB cost right now in Euros (official price?

"Dominate" is a fancy term for coming out on top, at least these days.

Japan laps up new models, plus RE6 is coming (with huge pre-orders). I think they might do better there this year than last (for this period). Possibly

So a misuse of the word dominate then? Ok.

a 160GB with a game bundled is £199 in all stores here these days, sometimes less.  I am assuming the 12GB will be £199 too.

Japan will be hyped for WiiU and it will dominate their minds through december.

No, just an evolution of it

Well you can't compare discounted store prices to official prices. I'm sure there will be some killer deals this holiday for the new model

Why cant I?

Thats what people are used to paying at EVERY store now and as someone else has already pointed out, its actually much less if you are prepared to shop sround (I was being kind)

Lets be frank, its a poor deal.  The product is suspect (juggling installs will be tiresome) and its more expensive.  Its a terrible deal for the consumer.

I dont understand how anyone can see this iteration as good

There a lot of games that don't require installs. I am sure this will be good for them.

PS+ users won't benefit from this though. Which is why there is another sku for them.

12 GB is still enough to play GT 5 installed.

You say that likes it a good thing... surely its a given.

So if GT5 is installed and you want to play it regularly (dipping in and out as people do with that typoe of game), but at the same time you are playing other bigger games?  you are screwed?

Its a joke.

Also i am pretty sure you can use non-prop memory to increase the storage of the 360 4GB, you cant with this ne PS3.

Fuck, this quote tree is not long enough.

On a side note: I think it will be closer than last year. The 360 has a much better selling line up. Halo 4 should be bigger than Reach because MS waited a geat deal of time to make 4 when in actuality we get a new Halo all the time. Great illusion for sales. The price cut is not enough to beat the 360, but I do think it is enough to help ward off future wii U and 360 sales after the holidays, not during.

Nope, it'll need a much bigger price cut for that. It may get a moderate boast because of the redesign, but domination is not likely.

fillet said:

1. Xbox 360 has a 4GB version, not 5GB. How ignorant.

2. GT5 install is basically mandatory for smooth experience.

3. Most PS3 games when installed load at a similar speed to Xbox 360 games that aren't installed. When you install a game on an Xbox 360, it generally loads much faster than when not installed.

4. At least 2GB of the 12GB will be put aside for caching, so useable will be about 10GB, give or take a few hundred MB.

5. It's not about different tastes or needs. It's that the PS3 has MANDATORY installs and the ones that are optional are generally considered MANDATORY to achive a decent loading time. The Xbox 360 doesn't have MANDATORY installs - EVER. When you install and Xbox 360 game, it is a bonus speed up in loading. It's base loading speed is very close  or better to PS3 games when they are installed. There are a sprinkling of games with long loading times where an install is considered mandatory IMO but we are talking 3-4 maximum and installing them even then doesn't "fix" those games into loading super fast but helps.

6. Sorry for repeating myself a little in 5. but you don't seem to understand.

7. Capish?

1. I know, I know. There's a special place in hell for ignorant fools like me who don't know that. You're clearly not overreacting at all.

2. Out of the 66.3m ps3 sold, not even 10m have bought GT5 or maybe even plan to. It clearly doesn't affect everyone.

3. Never said that wasn't the case

4. See above

5. It is about different tastes. If someone buys a ps3 ONLY for Fifa/Cod (because of free online), he doesn't need more space. Most of my friends who own a ps3 are casual players and only buy FIFA  every year. They have 120 gb disks and don't use any of the disk space for anything apart from the 2gb you mentioned (I haven't played either one and don't know if they have mandatory installs, but even if they do, if they only install those too, they're fine). Different tastes, different models. Is the 360 a better system? Maybe. That's irrelevant. The only reason I brought up the 4gb model is to show that some people simply don't need more space. Someone could say, how are you supposed to download a few live arcades if there's not enough disk space. Well, if you're not a casual gamer, get a different model.

We still don't know if the new model is better than the previous slim. It might be quiter, have less loading times, consume less energy. Who knows? Maybe it's worse. Plus you can't compare the official price with the existing deals at stores. It's like comparing Black Friday deals to deals from the rest of the year.

6. Hope you understand this time

7. Capish? (see how silly this sounds?)

and then there was the biggest invention in our history, the quote three cutting system.