By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is PS3 set to dominate console sales for the rest of the year?

When will people on this forum stop with the long f*****g quote trains? FFS!!!

Scrolling past that s**t to get to new posts is NOT pleasant!

Around the Network
naruball said:
fillet said:

1. Xbox 360 has a 4GB version, not 5GB. How ignorant.

2. GT5 install is basically mandatory for smooth experience.

3. Most PS3 games when installed load at a similar speed to Xbox 360 games that aren't installed. When you install a game on an Xbox 360, it generally loads much faster than when not installed.

4. At least 2GB of the 12GB will be put aside for caching, so useable will be about 10GB, give or take a few hundred MB.

5. It's not about different tastes or needs. It's that the PS3 has MANDATORY installs and the ones that are optional are generally considered MANDATORY to achive a decent loading time. The Xbox 360 doesn't have MANDATORY installs - EVER. When you install and Xbox 360 game, it is a bonus speed up in loading. It's base loading speed is very close  or better to PS3 games when they are installed. There are a sprinkling of games with long loading times where an install is considered mandatory IMO but we are talking 3-4 maximum and installing them even then doesn't "fix" those games into loading super fast but helps.

6. Sorry for repeating myself a little in 5. but you don't seem to understand.

7. Capish?

1. I know, I know. There's a special place in hell for ignorant fools like me who don't know that. You're clearly not overreacting at all.

2. Out of the 66.3m ps3 sold, not even 10m have bought GT5 or maybe even plan to. It clearly doesn't affect everyone.

3. Never said that wasn't the case

4. See above

5. It is about different tastes. If someone buys a ps3 ONLY for Fifa/Cod (because of free online), he doesn't need more space. Most of my friends who own a ps3 are casual players and only buy FIFA  every year. They have 120 gb disks and don't use any of the disk space for anything apart from the 2gb you mentioned (I haven't played either one and don't know if they have mandatory installs, but even if they do, if they only install those too, they're fine). Different tastes, different models. Is the 360 a better system? Maybe. That's irrelevant. The only reason I brought up the 4gb model is to show that some people simply don't need more space. Someone could say, how are you supposed to download a few live arcades if there's not enough disk space. Well, if you're not a casual gamer, get a different model.

We still don't know if the new model is better than the previous slim. It might be quiter, have less loading times, consume less energy. Who knows? Maybe it's worse. Plus you can't compare the official price with the existing deals at stores. It's like comparing Black Friday deals to deals from the rest of the year.

6. Hope you understand this time

7. Capish? (see how silly this sounds?)

So people who buy a PS3 for FIFA or COD only are fine, but the rest of people who don't (including 10 million owners of GT5 by your own words) are going to have to keep deleting then waiting 5-10 mins for a game to install each time they want to play one assuming they have more than 4 games.

I'm not getting into a tit for tat with you, it's blatently clear that there's a problem here. Anyone can see that, you drew up the comparison with the Xbox 360 4GB model which was an invalid one.

The underlying point is that if you have 4 games installed that have installs, it's likely you will have to delete one of those installs to play a 5th and spend 5-10 mins installing just to play the game. Then if you want to play that game you just deleted the install data for....Well you get the jist.

This IMO and would assume most people's is not acceptable in any way shape or form and doesn't make Sony look good.

fillet said:
naruball said:
fillet said:

1. Xbox 360 has a 4GB version, not 5GB. How ignorant.

2. GT5 install is basically mandatory for smooth experience.

3. Most PS3 games when installed load at a similar speed to Xbox 360 games that aren't installed. When you install a game on an Xbox 360, it generally loads much faster than when not installed.

4. At least 2GB of the 12GB will be put aside for caching, so useable will be about 10GB, give or take a few hundred MB.

5. It's not about different tastes or needs. It's that the PS3 has MANDATORY installs and the ones that are optional are generally considered MANDATORY to achive a decent loading time. The Xbox 360 doesn't have MANDATORY installs - EVER. When you install and Xbox 360 game, it is a bonus speed up in loading. It's base loading speed is very close  or better to PS3 games when they are installed. There are a sprinkling of games with long loading times where an install is considered mandatory IMO but we are talking 3-4 maximum and installing them even then doesn't "fix" those games into loading super fast but helps.

6. Sorry for repeating myself a little in 5. but you don't seem to understand.

7. Capish?

1. I know, I know. There's a special place in hell for ignorant fools like me who don't know that. You're clearly not overreacting at all.

2. Out of the 66.3m ps3 sold, not even 10m have bought GT5 or maybe even plan to. It clearly doesn't affect everyone.

3. Never said that wasn't the case

4. See above

5. It is about different tastes. If someone buys a ps3 ONLY for Fifa/Cod (because of free online), he doesn't need more space. Most of my friends who own a ps3 are casual players and only buy FIFA  every year. They have 120 gb disks and don't use any of the disk space for anything apart from the 2gb you mentioned (I haven't played either one and don't know if they have mandatory installs, but even if they do, if they only install those too, they're fine). Different tastes, different models. Is the 360 a better system? Maybe. That's irrelevant. The only reason I brought up the 4gb model is to show that some people simply don't need more space. Someone could say, how are you supposed to download a few live arcades if there's not enough disk space. Well, if you're not a casual gamer, get a different model.

We still don't know if the new model is better than the previous slim. It might be quiter, have less loading times, consume less energy. Who knows? Maybe it's worse. Plus you can't compare the official price with the existing deals at stores. It's like comparing Black Friday deals to deals from the rest of the year.

6. Hope you understand this time

7. Capish? (see how silly this sounds?)

So people who buy a PS3 for FIFA or COD only are fine, but the rest of people who don't (including 10 million owners of GT5 by your own words) are going to have to keep deleting then waiting 5-10 mins for a game to install each time they want to play one assuming they have more than 4 games.

I'm not getting into a tit for tat with you, it's blatently clear that there's a problem here. Anyone can see that, you drew up the comparison with the Xbox 360 4GB model which was an invalid one.

The underlying point is that if you have 4 games installed that have installs, it's likely you will have to delete one of those installs to play a 5th and spend 5-10 mins installing just to play the game. Then if you want to play that game you just deleted the install data for....Well you get the jist.

This IMO and would assume most people's is not acceptable in any way shape or form and doesn't make Sony look good.

That's why there are more models. If you need more space you buy a more expensive model. If you're fine with 10 gb, you buy the 12gb one. Simple as that. Not every ps3 game has mandatory installation nor every ps3 gamer plays more than 4 games at the same time (assuming that some of them have mandatory installations). This model might only be good for people who want a second bluray player in their house and want to play a particular game with their family.  It's not like Sony are discontinuing the other models.

I'm not arguing against the bolded. I'm simply saying that this model is not for everyone.

Double post

Wait, Sony RAISED the price on the new PS3 and this is going to spur sales to dominate the holidays?

Around the Network
pezus said:
D-Joe said:
Need to wait will Microsoft announce a price cut or not before talk about this

How long do we have to wait? They've pretty much confirmed they won't lower their price (bundle price)

October 14 is last day

The holiday bundle still doesn't announce in NA btw

pezus said:
D-Joe said:
pezus said:
D-Joe said:
Need to wait will Microsoft announce a price cut or not before talk about this

How long do we have to wait? They've pretty much confirmed they won't lower their price (bundle price)

October 14 is last day

The holiday bundle still doesn't announce in NA btw

The Cod bundle was announced for $399 I think. A fucking outrageous price if you ask me, but the fans will buy it I guess

You mean Halo 4 i guess

The price can still change,just like last year,TOX PS3 bundle changed from 37980 yen to 32980 yen after gamescom(mid august) price cut(TOX released at Sep 8,just 2weeks between price cut and release date)

kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
RolStoppable said:
Turkish said:
kowenicki said:
Turkish said:
Yes, the thing is gonna be big in Europe.

I ask again.  Define dominate.

Sell many units.

Define "many".

few millions for the holidays

could you be more vague....

I think previously you talked about a "sales explosion"

Only with a pricecut, that may still come right before WiiU.

pezus said:
TRios_Zen said:
Wait, Sony RAISED the price on the new PS3 and this is going to spur sales to dominate the holidays?

They didn't raise the price...

When the new slim is released, the base price in the US is 269.99, right?  The current base price is 249.99.  While you could argue that they added value with the bundle, you can't really argue that the price didn't increase.

No, it won't. While I understand (maybe) their strategy, it seems like Sony is not pointing to this holiday, but for the next year.

With the bigger capacity for the HDD and some games bundles they are aiming for the "heavy downloaders" that needs more space and aren't confident enough to buy an external HDD/or planning to buy one in the near future. Could be that Sony wants to push digital sales on the PSN store more than ever, so having bigger space into the console will help to that hypothetic strategy.

Many of the PS3 owners will upgrade, as they did from fat to slim, even if the console doesn't do anything new aside from the space. On the other hand, games like FIFA with the European bundle will help sales this holiday.

Maybe (a big maybe) Sony understood already that no matter what they do now, Wii U will sell well. So, why to cut the price and gain less profit? Also, games will play a big rol this holiday season, and they have a great number of them.

What I'm expecting is to see the real price cut next year as a strategy to gain time until the release of the next console.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile