By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why PS4 won't be cutting edge, and neither will Xbox3 - or Why Nintendo might win next gen

Is my reasoning sound?

Hellz yeah! Spot on 265 33.42%

I never thought of it like that.... 69 8.70%

So it's the mental institution next for you? 101 12.74%

So very, very wrong 266 33.54%

I'm a pussy with no opinion 88 11.10%

Total:789
osed125 said:

That could definitely work for America and Europe, but contrary to popular believe the internet it's not fast enough (for the normal consumer at least) in most countries to be able to do that, probably in a couple of years. So this could potentially hurt all of their consumers outside of America and Europe.

OT: I completely agree with you, but if the Vita is any indication I think Sony hasn't learned from their mistakes, they will try to go for the most powerful console, making it really expensive and just having a really small lost on HW. I could see Sony releasing the PS4 at $500 or even higher, call me crazy but I think that's going to happen.

Once PS3 is selling for current $ps2 prices we can worry about that. If today's price hike is any indication we've got a long while to wait. The ps2 is still new for some places outside America and Europe. 

How could you say that? Vita is the easist to develop for most vanilla off the shelf hardware console Sony has ever made. Its only a few months ahead or about equal when comparing it with hardware launching this year. Most of them asking for far higher price tags. Other than memory price gouges I thought that was a great path for them to follow with ps4 should it ever exist. 

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
Wii U = Dreamcast

PS4 = Gamecube

Xbox 720 = Xbox

That's how I see the gap next gen.

So basically one dead system, one system that will get its typical 1st party exclusive that gets fanatical support by less than half the gaming populace with some gimick 3rd ports, and a 3rd system with horrible hardware and medocre 1st and 3rd party games.

Great.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

nitekrawler1285 said:

Once PS3 is selling for current $ps2 prices we can worry about that. If today's price hike is any indication we've got a long while to wait. The ps2 is still new for some places outside America and Europe. 

How could you say that? Vita is the easist to develop for most vanilla off the shelf hardware console Sony has ever made. Its only a few months ahead or about equal when comparing it with hardware launching this year. Most of them asking for far higher price tags. Other than memory price gouges I thought that was a great path for them to follow with ps4 should it ever exist. 

What do you mean by that?

Nintendo and PC gamer

Just an observation of the generations Nintendo has been in competition with Sony ...

With the Playstation, Sony launched much earlier than than Nintendo and took advantage of third party dissatisfaction with Nintendo and Sega to build a strong library and dominate the generation.

With the PS2, Sony launched much earlier than Nintendo and took advantage of the third party publisher relationships built with the Playstation to build a strong library and dominate the generation.

With the PSP, Sony launched at roughly the same time as Nintendo. Nintendo focused on a new user interface element (touch screen) that few saw as being an important, while Sony produced a more powerful system. Sony leveraged their strong third party relationships, and Nintendo leveraged their strong first party development, and Nintendo "won" the generation while Sony was one of the most successful "runner up" consoles.

With the PS3, Sony and Nintendo launched at roughly the same time. Nintendo focused on a new user interface device which was seen as revolutionary, while Sony produced a more powerful system. Sony leveraged their strong third party relationships and benefited from multiplatform development with the XBox 360 and PC, and Nintendo leveraged their strong first party development. Nintendo "won" the generation but their initial amazing sales lost steam allowing Sony to be one of the most successful "runner up" consoles.

With the 3DS Nintendo launched much earlier than Sony did and focused on a new user interface element that few saw as being important. Sony focused on processing power but was unable to get an upper hand in third party published games due to a weaker relationship with publishers (due to more modest sales of PS3 and PSP software compared to PS2 software). While the generation has yet to be decided, Nintendo has a massive lead and is selling very well while the PS-Vita is struggling.

Heading into the next generation Nintendo will be launching first, is focusing on a new user interface element that few see as being important, still has strong first party development, and Sony will likely have a weaker relationship with third party publishers due to poor performance of the PS-Vita. The Wii U hasn't launched yet so we don't know how it will sell, and we don't know whether Sony will focus on processing power again, but the current set-up for the generation doesn't seem to benefit Sony.

The big wildcard (in my opinion) is Microsoft ...

The strategy Microsoft chooses could easily help or hurt either Sony or Nintendo, and they may or may not actively try to do either.

Anari said:

Nintendo will win the generation in sales. They are launching first , at a good price and have a well featured console. Plus, they are set to dominate Japan in both the console and handheld space.

As for PS4 and 720, too early to guess which will take second place.

I largely agree with this, particularly on Nintendo setting themselves up for dominance in Japan - not only on the handheld front - but also becasue I think WiiU will provide a bit of a much needed resurgence for the console market there.  I believe that Japan will be Nintendoland for the 8th gen.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
FrancisNobleman said:
Do not mix small jump in tech this gen from small jump in graphics.

Something that goes beyond the likes of Uncharted 3 or Beyond: Two Souls, is plain crazy. And you can achieve good results without tech being that beastly. Just improved feature sets to match DX11 is enough for you to dazzle.

Next gen games will look gorgeous on all 3 platforms despite small jump in tech.

But the so wanted Avatar visuals are not happening though...

Oh, I do believe they'll all look really good. The point is that PS4 and Xbox3 won't look THAT much better than WiiU ;)

but your wrong. I know this is a nintendo fan forum, but the ps4/xbox will be away ahead of the wiiu. the only way it won't happen is if MS and sony both decide to put out much weaker consoles then the norm at the same time. all indications point to at least Sony haveing a large upgrade in power,  MS is a toss up ( will they basically make a kinect box 2.0 or will it be a true successor)

usrevenge said:

but your wrong. I know this is a nintendo fan forum, but the ps4/xbox will be away ahead of the wiiu. the only way it won't happen is if MS and sony both decide to put out much weaker consoles then the norm at the same time. all indications point to at least Sony haveing a large upgrade in power,  MS is a toss up ( will they basically make a kinect box 2.0 or will it be a true successor)

@bold How do you know that? Give some reasons as to why you think that.

And what indications have Sony shown? other than Jack Tretton's PR talk

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
nitekrawler1285 said:

What do you mean by that?

They didn't strive to make it extra powerful. Vita is comparable in power to other mobile personal electronics devices launching this year. I believe one thread is using iPhone 5. 

DanneSandin said:
TheShape31 said:
Microsoft is in the best position to come out ahead next gen. Especially if they're able to launch with $299 and $399 pricing, Kinect 2.0, the most 3rd party support, big exclusives, an improved Xbox LIve, a native 1080p @60fps standard for all games, and solid physical gaming media (my biggest hope).

Sony is in the worst position out of the 3 by far. They can only lower the price of PS3 so much, and they don't have the funds that Nintendo and Microsoft have. Compared to a base unit costing $249-269, they'll have to release the PS4 with at least a $499 price tag and a loss. Sony may not survive this next generation, since there's really no market left for such expensive gaming machines.

Nintendo will do fine, and I feel that they will be neck and neck with the new Xbox console this time around. They'll continue to offer unique gameplay and IPs, so they're only obstacle will be pricing this time around. It's a very different economy than when Wii was launched, and people may not be willing to spend as much for that kind of tech.

I wish a new company were joining the console wars to bring a new and fresh face to the hardware scene. All 3 companies seem to be going through the motions, and not able to surprise anyone anymore.

I agree with most of your post, everything except that Xbox3 will have the most 3rd party support :) it's either gonna be equel, or if MS decides to make the über box it's more likely that WiiStation will get better support.

There's no telling at this point who will have the most 3rd party support.  But I have a feeling that during the next generation of console it will have a lot to do with how much success each one will have.  As you can see above, I never suggested that they will have the most.

usrevenge said:

At this point in time I would say that it is remarkably dangerous to make predictions about what Sony will or will not do ...

Of all things that can be said about the PS-Vita I think how poorly it is performing is mostly related to Sony having run out of "good will" from third party publishers and consumers to compensate for their strategic errors. In my opinion, Sony has to be very careful in how they position the PS4 because Sony's survival as a console manufacturer may depend on it.

I doubt Sony sees their position in the same way I do, but I'm certain they've noticed that the PSP, PS3 and PS-Vita didn't quite work out as they expected them to; and I'm certain this means that they are considering modifying their strategy. How they will modify their strategy is unknown, but this makes it difficult to say that they will or will not produce a powerful system.