By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS2 2001 sales numbers vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =)

CrazzyMan said:

actually I AM, that`s why i created this thread. NOT for ARGUING, BUT for discussing SALES.

But that's the thing.  Discussion requires arguing pretty much.  Agreeing is what you are look for.  You want people to agree with you, not discuss with you.

NUMBERS DON'T LIE.

No they don't.  But the results you get from interpreting those numbers can lie. Your data may be sound but your conclusions are what people are disagreeing with as you are excluding certain data that doesn't agree with the conclusions you set out to find.

Around the Network

@azrm2k:

But that's the thing. Discussion requires arguing pretty much. Agreeing is what you are look for. You want people to agree with you, not discuss with you.
agreeing on WHAT?
No they don't. But the results you get from interpreting those numbers can lie. Your data may be sound but your conclusions are what people are disagreeing with as you are excluding certain data that doesn't agree with the conclusions you set out to find.
WHAT MY conclusions? i just compared first 2 weeks of January. Are you afraid of something? Are you afraid that PS3 may sell over 15 mln. in 2008? Just sit and wait, and we will see how much ps3 will do. And ps2 numbers were increased to 250k in march, so don`t worry, it`s impossible for PS3, right? =))

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

I was replying to a ridiculous statement with an equally ridiculous statement. As for the comment about not enough threads - what? I read hundreds of threads for every time I post (literally).

As for your numbers. Fine, oh wise and brilliant analyst. Make some closer predictions. You predict 15 million this year. What do you predict for holidays? When do you predict the surge that will put them at or around 1 million consoles per month? What do you predict for the coming months. If your correlation is so accurate, it should provide at minimum ball park figures to this information.

Which markets do you see being the linchpin to the PS3s increased success? A rapid uptick in the Americas, or a burst in Europe, or an explosion in Japan?

The problems with your predictions is that you don't make any predictions that are testable within a reliable time period. You don't support your arguments beyond a very loose correlation. You admit that the PS2 is supply constrained while the PS3 is not even remotely, but with a little hand waving claim that the situations are the same. How?! Correlation is not a sign of causation, and does come close to provide proof.

So please, enlighten us all as to what will cause the PS3 to explode in sales continually throughout the year to reach these numbers? Will they finally be resolving those dreaded supply constraints? Or is it the momentum they are riding after crushing the gamecube Wii and Xbox Xbox 360 during the holidays?

Or is it the overwhelming developer support in comparison to the other systems?

Its easy to go into conspiracy theory mode and find positive reinforcement to your beliefs, but that does not make it reality. Doing good research means looking at the data first and then drawing conclusions from it, not having an ideal solution first and then cherry picking data that picks your predetermined outcome.

However, if and when you are proven wrong, I'm sure you will accept that your reasoning was flawed and that your methods were incorrect, and that you will eat a slice of humble pie right?

Crazzyman is a funnyman.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

___O_o______ said:
wow fishyjoe.
It seems like your one of those people who try to be a smart-aleck and think your funny.
you seem to blatantly ignore the fact that crazzyman is just going to post ps3 vs ps2 sales, and tout "cherry picking" crap everywhere. reread the first post and see what people should be here and post. Please.

He doesn't think, he KNOWS. And he is.

Around the Network

Wasn't PS2 in 2000 only released in Japan fully and only just releasing in America and Europe/Other. Pretty sad on PS3's part when you include those notes. Well if this is how you sleep better at night then I'm not stopping ya.

Fastrabbit09 said:
crazy's problem is that he has a viewpoint (ps3 will do well) and searches out data that can support it

the better method is to look at the data and draw conclusions from it

looking at all the data out there wouldn't lead someone to conclude that ps3 is gonna pwn

yea that the same reason why alot of people believe that the wii 3rd party support will be Meeehhh.....

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

I don't really believe in sales trends with video games.

and ps3 has more problems and flaws that give it a lower chance of succeeding like ps1 and ps2.

CrazzyMan said:

CrazzyMan if we wanted to go by your rules for this thread, you'd have to leave as well.
@Darc Requiem, so you basically admit that you are retard?
You aren't interested in discussing sales numbers of Sony products.
actually I AM(otherwise i wouldn`t include those messages in the beginning of the thread), that`s why i created this thread. NOT for ARGUING, BUT for discussing SALES.
It`s hard to do now, but with more sales data coming, i think it will be easier. =)
As soon as anyone rightfully points out the inaccuracy of your numbers you want them to leave.
The numbers are ACCURATE, it`s MY FREE WILL to compare 2001 PS2 sales with 2008 PS3 sales. IF you don`t like it CREATE OWN THREAD and do comparison.
You post factually inaccurate information and expect no one to call you out on it.
NUMBERS DON`T LIE. Atleast THESE are most accurate that we have for today.

@truthiness, if you have nothing to say, then what point even to reply? Ha Ha. Not enough threads? =))

I hope we done with arguing on this point, and next page will be dedicated to Sales Discussion. =)

CrazzyMan, just stop.  You do nothing but erode your position with each post.  I could resort to calling you a retard but I will not insult the mentally challenged by comparing them to someone such as yourself. They deserve better frankly. Numbers can be made to fit any argument when you take them out of context, which you ALWAYS do. You constantly compare PS2 and PS3 sales numbers without taking into account the differences in the PS2 and PS3's launch. You can't discuss anything with a person such as yourself. Discussion requires an honest debate over facts. You are incapable of an honest and true debate. You constantly compare out of context statistics. When you are are called on this fact you either try to justify your misstatement of the facts at hand or you just flat out ignore your misstatements. Your blatant dishonesty throughout this forum is why no one of merit takes any of your postings seriously.

@truthiness,

You admit that the PS2 is supply constrained while the PS3 is not even remotely, but with a little hand waving claim that the situations are the same. How?! Correlation is not a sign of causation, and does come close to provide proof.
1) 2008 is 2nd ps3 year since launch. 2001 was 2nd ps2 year since launch. NOT since SALES. FACT.
2) In 2001 were released BIG games like MGS2, GTA3, FFX, DMC, GT3. Games like MGS4, GTA4, FFXIII, DMC4, GT5 also aimed to 2008.

With these 2 MAIN statements i decided to compare PS2 and PS3 sales, and to see how close/far PS3 sales will be in 2008 compared to ps2 sales in 2001.
So please, enlighten us all as to what will cause the PS3 to explode in sales continually throughout the year to reach these numbers? Will they finally be resolving those dreaded supply constraints? Or is it the momentum they are riding after crushing the gamecube Wii and Xbox Xbox 360 during the holidays?
In my opinion:
1) pricecuts, (ps2 had 299$ for whole year).
2) BRAND games releases.
3) new bundles.
4) variety of genres.
5) new level of HD gaming.
However, if and when you are proven wrong, I'm sure you will accept that your reasoning was flawed and that your methods were incorrect, and that you will eat a slice of humble pie right?
OR will be BIG PWNAGE for all unbelievers, right? =))
You constantly compare PS2 and PS3 sales numbers without taking into account the differences in the PS2 and PS3's launch.
@Darc Requiem, just admit, that you are Sony hater, That you don`t believe in PS3 success and LEAVE this thread. Thank you.
I already explained 100 times, why i taked these 2 years. Deal with that.
Last time for you:
1) 2008 is 2nd ps3 year since launch. 2001 was 2nd ps2 year since launch. FACT. NOT since SALES WW.
2) In 2001 were released BIG games like MGS2, GTA3, FFX, DMC, GT3. Games like MGS4, GTA4, FFXIII, DMC4, GT5 also aimed to 2008.

With these 2 MAIN statements i decided to compare PS2 and PS3 sales, and to see how close/far PS3 sales will be in 2008 compared to ps2 sales with it`s 16 mln. in 2001.
NOW you can LEAVE.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far