By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the Upad is $150, then doesn't that mean the console is also $150

kain_kusanagi said:
Gnac said:
kain_kusanagi said:
For me the cost of the controller feels like a total waste. I'd rather it have a regular controller and have the system cost considerably less or it have a regular controller and cost the same, but use that money to be more powerful.

I hope Mad Catz makes an Atari Joystick just for you.

I still have my Atari Joysticks, thank you very much. They worked fine back then, but I'll tell you why I don't need gimmicks like a touch pad or motion controls. It's a simple reason really. Are you ready? Here it is: Zelda OoT played better than Zelda SS and it did so with nothing but buttons and a joystick. You didn't have to hold your hand up like a child playing with a sword. Nope, the N64 controller melted away and you became immersed in the game. Playing with anything but a standard controller just constantly reminds you that you're handling a ruddy device the whole time. Especially when the damn thing need to be reset every other minute or Link can't hit anything. I love, LOVE, Nintendo games. Been playing them for ages. I've happy with innovations, but I don't like my favorite franchises changed so much I can't enjoy them as much. Zelda SS is the only game I've ever played that has gotten motion controls right and I still wished, the whole time I played it, that I could use a standard controller.

Yes, I've already had the kain_kusanagi experience from all your other posts which moan about having to use anything other than buttons.

You should ride the Gnac experience, which does not give a fuck about how you might look or feel while enjoying things.

EDIT: to address your concerns about having to reset M+, for my adoring fans (and to dispel rumours that I am a troll): You are probably expecting to point at the screen while playing SS. This is understandable, since The Wii port of Twilight Princess relied on the sensor bar. But you know what? Skyward sword doesn't. You can have your dominant arm hanging limp over the side of your armchair while making laconic movements, and still do what you want to do, such is the nature of a technology that relies on interpolation (it's a little disorientating at first, but a happy medium can be achieved). The option to recentre the pointer is made available if you think it's wrong, meaning that you don't have to hold your arm up for eight hours or stand up straight or whatever it is that people think you need to do to enjoy motion-controlled games. I only had to recalibrate when I resumed from a save state, or left the game idle for long enough that the "screen burn-in" feature kicked in.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Around the Network

why no wii u model without the upad? A $199 console would attract more buyers who buy solely based on affordable price point.

teigaga said:

Controllers are normally sold for huge profit. I doubt the wii U controller cost more then $80 to manufacture, in fact I remember a breakdown of its components coming to $50. like any accessory, its gonna be sold with a huge profit margin, for an accessory which at the moment is considered a complete luxury and with no mass market demand, expect nintendo to be selling at over %200 of its cost.

Wii U system itself probably cost just under $199 taking into account the fact that it has no HDD and is using 2008 technology.

I don't think its power consumption would be that low if it would use 2008 technology.

Gnac said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Gnac said:
kain_kusanagi said:
For me the cost of the controller feels like a total waste. I'd rather it have a regular controller and have the system cost considerably less or it have a regular controller and cost the same, but use that money to be more powerful.

I still have my Atari Joysticks, thank you very much. They worked fine back then, but I'll tell you why I don't need gimmicks like a touch pad or motion controls. It's a simple reason really. Are you ready? Here it is: Zelda OoT played better than Zelda SS and it did so with nothing but buttons and a joystick. You didn't have to hold your hand up like a child playing with a sword. Nope, the N64 controller melted away and you became immersed in the game. Playing with anything but a standard controller just constantly reminds you that you're handling a ruddy device the whole time. Especially when the damn thing need to be reset every other minute or Link can't hit anything. I love, LOVE, Nintendo games. Been playing them for ages. I've happy with innovations, but I don't like my favorite franchises changed so much I can't enjoy them as much. Zelda SS is the only game I've ever played that has gotten motion controls right and I still wished, the whole time I played it, that I could use a standard controller.

Yes, I've already had the kain_kusanagi experience from all your other posts which moan about having to use anything other than buttons.

You should ride the Gnac experience, which does not give a fuck about how you might look or feel while enjoying things.

EDIT: to address your concerns about having to reset M+, for my adoring fans (and to dispel rumours that I am a troll): You are probably expecting to point at the screen while playing SS. This is understandable, since The Wii port of Twilight Princess relied on the sensor bar. But you know what? Skyward sword doesn't. You can have your dominant arm hanging limp over the side of your armchair while making laconic movements, and still do what you want to do, such is the nature of a technology that relies on interpolation (it's a little disorientating at first, but a happy medium can be achieved). The option to recentre the pointer is made available if you think it's wrong, meaning that you don't have to hold your arm up for eight hours or stand up straight or whatever it is that people think you need to do to enjoy motion-controlled games. I only had to recalibrate when I resumed from a save state, or left the game idle for long enough that the "screen burn-in" feature kicked in.

I totaly respect that you and so many youngsters prefer motion controls. But us old-schoolers prefer good old fashioned buttons and joysticks.

BTW, I am aware of how to play Zelda SS. But it feels so wrong to point away from the TV while guiding the beetle. A reset is pretty much manditory and is needed far too often. But thats just a mini gripe. If Nintendo let us old-schoolers use standard controls while giving youngers their new fangled motion controls, then everyone would be happy. But they didn't and those of us who have been playing Zelda for a quarter of a century didn't ask for motion controls.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
why no wii u model without the upad? A $199 console would attract more buyers who buy solely based on affordable price point.

Because it's the controller needed to play the majority if not all of the games on the wiiu for the single player anyways, I'm sure nintendo don't want more crying such as the tears about the US release of the XL not featuring an AC adapter so they had to go and chuck one in over it.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Gnac said:

Nintendo is losing money! That must mean they care about us!

This post is simply epic.

Edit: Also, don't forget that HDMI cables also cost money, so it is even less we have to pay for the console!

kain_kusanagi said:
Gnac said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Gnac said:
kain_kusanagi said:

I totaly respect that you and so many youngsters prefer motion controls. But us old-schoolers prefer good old fashioned buttons and joysticks.

BTW, I am aware of how to play Zelda SS. But it feels so wrong to point away from the TV while guiding the beetle. A reset is pretty much manditory and is needed far too often. But thats just a mini gripe. If Nintendo let us old-schoolers use standard controls while giving youngers their new fangled motion controls, then everyone would be happy. But they didn't and those of us who have been playing Zelda for a quarter of a century didn't ask for motion controls.

"us oldschoolers"? really you're point of view that older people are hardcore and only children like motion control is fairly insulting and unfounded, as a 29 year old fan of gaming I fear you've not hard core gamed until you've played child of eden using the kinect, that feeling of using your right arm as an 8 shot lock on rocket launcher and your left arm as a machine gun for fending off incoming missiles, blasting your way thought insanely twisted worlds and boss's.... us oldschool hard core gamers know that's real gaming : > see how I implied if you don't like what I like it means you're young and not hardcore.... it aint nice, and for the most part it's untrue.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Gnac said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Gnac said:
kain_kusanagi said:

"us oldschoolers"? really you're point of view that older people are hardcore and only children like motion control is fairly insulting and unfounded, as a 29 year old fan of gaming I fear you've not hard core gamed until you've played child of eden using the kinect, that feeling of using your right arm as an 8 shot lock on rocket launcher and your left arm as a machine gun for fending off incoming missiles, blasting your way thought insanely twisted worlds and boss's.... us oldschool hard core gamers know that's real gaming : > see how I implied if you don't like what I like it means you're young and not hardcore.... it aint nice, and for the most part it's untrue.

Yeah, you may have over reacted just a tad bit and you deffinitly oversimplied and missunderstood my statement. I didn't say everyone who likes motion controls is a child. I did imply that young gamers like motion controls more than old gamers, which I do believe. But I never said that all motion control fans are casual none gamer babies. That was your mistake.Like I DID say I respect that people like motion controls. However I would like the same understanding for those of us that don't.
Now I do want to clearify something. I don't hate ALL motion controls in ALL games. I think motion controls are fun for games like Wii Sports or, like you mentioned, Child of Eden. What I don't like is motion controls mucking up my favorite franchises. I'd very much prefer Mario, Zelda, and Metroid be at the very least given standard control options. Nintendo can make mandatory motion controls for all their new IPs for all I care, but please leave the games that were fine the way they are. I don't want Kinect to be mandatory for Halo 4 and I don't want Move to be mandatory for Uncharted. Optional? Fine. Mandatory? no thanks.

Not gonna quote because it's a massive block :d but naw not offended by what you posted at all, just saying generalizations don't really work out too well just the line "But us old-schoolers prefer good old fashioned buttons and joysticks" is all I was going on at you about, you might be an oldschooler who feels that way, but not everyone would agree, I think the queen of england owns a wii and was quoted on loving it, and she's like... 300 years old, dont get much more old school than that :D she comes from a time when real life was infact in monochrome 8 bit graphics! I myself avoided the 2 zelda games on the Ds because they had the touch controls rammed into them and didn't allow you to use the dpad to play them at all even tho it would be the exact same game but just giving you the ability to use the dpad to move.... but I don't think everyone feels that way since I think those games were both great successes financially and critically.

No peripherals are always sold with a high profit margin, at a $150 Nintendo is probably making ~$60 profit and then the retailer will probably take another ~$40.It's the oldest trick in the book.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!