By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anyone else feel bad when they kill a bug, insect, etc?

Tagged games:

Do you?

Yes 8 44.44%

No 5 27.78%

Depends on the bug 5 27.78%

Total:18
Jay520 said:
Marks said:

Ants, flies, spiders, and anything that stings/bites HELL NO I KILL THE FUCKER!! But sometimes I do if its like a ladybug or like a daddy long legs that does nothing harmful to me whatsoever. We get a lot of daddy long legs in our cottage so I usually just pick them up and toss them outside but don't kill them. Spiders on the other hand I massacre with no remorse whatsoever because they crawl all over the place like assholes and I'm afraid they'll bite me in my sleep. Oh and they put up webs which I always manage to walk through. 

Toss them outside? That's problem worse than killing them! Do you know how dramatic your toss is for an insect? A toss for you may be like falling out of an airplane for the spider. Chances are, that spider didn't die, but he's fucked up. And that's fucked up! You probably broke like three of his legs or fucked up one his eyes. Now he has to walk around with three limp legs and he's probably blind in one eye. And of course, all the other creatures are going to take advantage of him: Bullying him, Taking his girlfriend, Stealing his food, Stealing his web, etc You might as well should have killed him. At least he could have died with dignity. Now, he has to live in shame. thats fucked up

I don't know if you're being completely serious but I'll reply to this.

I'm really no expert on insects but I do know the exo skeleton of insects in general do a pretty darn good job protecting their internal organs.So they really  aren't easily hurt or killed from 'tosses'.

Another thing is mass and surface area ratio. Insects accelerate slow compared to say a human. Put simply, they don't hit the ground as harder and it will take a greater force to damage them.

I would be concerned about the insects becoming an easier prey to birds if they are thrown out in the open.

I have a video on my phone of about a half dozen birds eating ant flies off my windows in the wee hours of the morning. We get weird seasons of bugs in Cleveland because of the lake effect. Anyways. It was early hours of the morning and my light was on -attracting these ant flies. I swear the birds had the feast of a lifetime.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network
Marks said:

Not toss it like a baseball or something, just like a drop from waist height. And 99% of a daddy long legs is...well...his legs, so he has some pretty damn solid shock absorbers and is no worse for wear. Plus at least I'm not one of those kids who pulls the legs off of them. 

Fair enough, but this part caught my attention

Marks said:

Plus at least I'm not one of those kids who pulls the legs off of them. 

This reminds me of a troublemaker in my neighborhood that broke in this old lady's car after she mistakenly left the door unlocked. When the old lady confronted the boy, the boy said, "at least I opened the door and didn't break the window."

Yes, I try not to kill any bug, except for cockroaches or mosquitoes. If I am walking and see an ant, I don't step on it. Especially if it is carrying food.

When I was as a child I was told that if I killed an ant, a giant one would come and crushed me, so I started being very careful haha.

I don't feel that killing bugs would make me feel better, so I don't do it.

hatmoza said:

I don't know if you're being completely serious but I'll reply to this.

I'm really no expert on insects but I do know the exo skeleton of insects in general do a pretty darn good job protecting their internal organs.So they really  aren't easily hurt or killed from 'tosses'.

Another thing is mass and surface area ratio. Insects accelerate slow compared to say a human. Put simply, they don't hit the ground as harder and it will take a greater force to damage them.

I would be concerned about the insects becoming an easier prey to birds if they are thrown out in the open.

I have a video on my phone of about a half dozen birds eating ant flies off my windows in the wee hours of the morning. We get weird seasons of bugs in Cleveland because of the lake effect. Anyways. It was early hours of the morning and my light was on -attracting these ant flies. I swear the birds had the feast of a lifetime.

I'm just messing around. Though it did used to wonder how much damage was caused when insects fell from 'high' distances. 

I don't mind killing insects that have any presence in my personal space. We animals care about certain animals more than others, and value certain lives more than others. Of course most of us won't see it as a criminal act when we kill an insect, even while we protect the animals we love. It's just the way of life.

As a side note, death is a very natural part of living that I feel like many of us try to run away from as if it's a terrible unnatural thing that needs to be purged.

Around the Network
hatmoza said:
Jay520 said:
Marks said:

Ants, flies, spiders, and anything that stings/bites HELL NO I KILL THE FUCKER!! But sometimes I do if its like a ladybug or like a daddy long legs that does nothing harmful to me whatsoever. We get a lot of daddy long legs in our cottage so I usually just pick them up and toss them outside but don't kill them. Spiders on the other hand I massacre with no remorse whatsoever because they crawl all over the place like assholes and I'm afraid they'll bite me in my sleep. Oh and they put up webs which I always manage to walk through. 

Toss them outside? That's problem worse than killing them! Do you know how dramatic your toss is for an insect? A toss for you may be like falling out of an airplane for the spider. Chances are, that spider didn't die, but he's fucked up. And that's fucked up! You probably broke like three of his legs or fucked up one his eyes. Now he has to walk around with three limp legs and he's probably blind in one eye. And of course, all the other creatures are going to take advantage of him: Bullying him, Taking his girlfriend, Stealing his food, Stealing his web, etc You might as well should have killed him. At least he could have died with dignity. Now, he has to live in shame. thats fucked up

Very true! One of my favourite things to do since I hate spiders is throw them into the lake (we get pretty big dock spiders) and after a few seconds a fish will swim up and eat it! Your thing about birds eating insects reminded me of that. 

I don't really go that far out of my way to prevent stepping on insects on accident. I do try to keep my distance if the bug looks dangerous, and I figure since I would like to major in Zoology, I should develop a friendship with my creepy crawly buddies. But there is nothing that scares me more than a little bug coming out of nowhere and scaring the crap out of me. I love insects, they are so cool, but they are scary when you don't expect them. The only insect that I kill without hesitation are mosquitoes that go after me. Survival of the fittest, man. The slow mosquitoes die, and don't reproduce, and the fast mosquitoes survive and make more fast mosquitoes. I actually have found a bucket full of water in my backyard with mosquito larvae. You know what I did? I dumped out those bitches on the grass!

But even then, there are such an insanely large amount of insects, that you could spend your whole life on a mission to kill as many insects as possible, and the overall population of insects would barely flinch.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash