By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anyone else feel bad when they kill a bug, insect, etc?

Tagged games:

Do you?

Yes 8 44.44%

No 5 27.78%

Depends on the bug 5 27.78%

Total:18
Jay520 said:
hatmoza said:

I've also killed a fair share of lab mice. It was shitty at first but then you get used to it. It was for science after all.

How did you kill them? Please don't tell me via squashing...

I just mentioned how in my above post -before even seeing this posts.

See post above.

EDIT: Cervical dislocation- you hold the mouse/rat down. One hand pressed on the base of the mouse's head, right before the neck, and you yank its tail back with the other hand.

For what it's worth, it's considered a quick and painless death.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

Around the Network

I guess if it's for science, it's cool.Though I personally wouldn't be able to handle it mentally

hatmoza said:
Busted said:
This is something very complicated... i could write a book,it has to do with society, and the superiority complex that most humans have, but to make the long story short in my opinion if someone considers a bug's (or any living being) life ''meaningless'' then a human's life should be no different for you, but people is so fucked up man... sometimes it's just scary what they value, and how they compare and/or relate some things, i don't want to start a rant because i'm not going to stop so this is it. All of that becomes 100x worse if such person is religious.

I disagree. Killing other organisms doesn't automatically mean we think their life is meaningless. Killing other organisms is an evil necessary in my opinion.In the name of learning anyway.

You say "any living thing" ... really? I work in a lab 4 weeks a day growing, burning staining bacteria, ultimately killing them in the end? Does that make me a bad person? Like I said in a previous  post. Colleges and I killed countless lab mice... by cervical  dislocation - detaching the spine from the brain. Does that make me a bad person? I can tell you one thing though. I don't think their lives were meaningless. 

The real world's a scary thing.

I didn't say that it makes anyone a bad person, i said that if someone goes by that, killing something as you please then a human life should mean nothing for you and that's not the case with 99% of the people that kill's bugs and animals without remorse. I did not say that that's bad or anti-natural, just that it has to do with how society has evolved because of religion or whatever reason at such level that humans are raised with a superiority complex that makes us value human life over most of the things yet -you can kill anything else there's no problem! :D- and i personally don't like that... yet again, if i start i won't stop, that's it. Be nice :)

Ants, flies, spiders, and anything that stings/bites HELL NO I KILL THE FUCKER!! But sometimes I do if its like a ladybug or like a daddy long legs that does nothing harmful to me whatsoever. We get a lot of daddy long legs in our cottage so I usually just pick them up and toss them outside but don't kill them. Spiders on the other hand I massacre with no remorse whatsoever because they crawl all over the place like assholes and I'm afraid they'll bite me in my sleep. Oh and they put up webs which I always manage to walk through. 

Busted said:
Jay520 said:

Busted said:

All of that becomes 100x worse if such person is religious.

wait... WHAT!?!?

elaborate PLEASE

Oh man... i could but please don't make me do it...just

--Thou shall not kill.

Bible also says God put humans above other animals and that everything there is for human use (i.e. Cows are there for human consumption, etc.). I can't tell if you're even serious, but if you are...thou shalt not kill only goes for other humans...it's not about animals. 

Around the Network
Busted said:

--Thou shall not kill.

I'm no biblical reader or anything like that, but I'm pretty sure that was referring to people. As it condones it eating meaty animales.

Marks said:
Busted said:
Jay520 said:

Busted said:

wait... WHAT!?!?

elaborate PLEASE

--Thou shall not kill.

Bible also says God put humans above other animals and that everything there is for human use (i.e. Cows are there for human consumption, etc.). I can't tell if you're even serious, but if you are...thou shalt not kill only goes for other humans...it's not about animals. 

Exactly! if you are religious you are practically FREE to do that and it's just something that i personally do not agree with. That's why i said it's 100x worse.

Busted said:
Marks said:
Busted said:
Jay520 said:

Busted said:

wait... WHAT!?!?

elaborate PLEASE

--Thou shall not kill.

Exactly! if you are religious you are practically FREE to do that and it's just something that i personally do not agree with. That's why i said it's 100x worse.

Oh okay I see what you mean. I misunderstood what you were saying. 

Marks said:

Ants, flies, spiders, and anything that stings/bites HELL NO I KILL THE FUCKER!! But sometimes I do if its like a ladybug or like a daddy long legs that does nothing harmful to me whatsoever. We get a lot of daddy long legs in our cottage so I usually just pick them up and toss them outside but don't kill them. Spiders on the other hand I massacre with no remorse whatsoever because they crawl all over the place like assholes and I'm afraid they'll bite me in my sleep. Oh and they put up webs which I always manage to walk through. 

Toss them outside? That's problem worse than killing them! Do you know how dramatic your toss is for an insect? A toss for you may be like falling out of an airplane for the spider. Chances are, that spider didn't die, but he's fucked up. And that's fucked up! You probably broke like three of his legs or fucked up one his eyes. Now he has to walk around with three limp legs and he's probably blind in one eye. And of course, all the other creatures are going to take advantage of him: Bullying him, Taking his girlfriend, Stealing his food, Stealing his web, etc You might as well should have killed him. At least he could have died with dignity. Now, he has to live in shame. thats fucked up

Jay520 said:
Marks said:

Toss them outside? That's problem worse than killing them! Do you know how dramatic your toss is for an insect? A toss for you may be like falling out of an airplane for the spider. Chances are, that spider didn't die, but he's fucked up. And that's fucked up! You probably broke like three of his legs or fucked up one his eyes. Now he has to walk around with three limp legs and he's probably blind in one eye. And of course, all the other creatures are going to take advantage of him: Bullying him, Taking his girlfriend, Stealing his food, Stealing his web, etc You might as well should have killed him. At least he could have died with dignity. Now, he has to live in shame. thats fucked up

Not toss it like a baseball or something, just like a drop from waist height. And 99% of a daddy long legs is...well...his legs, so he has some pretty damn solid shock absorbers and is no worse for wear. Plus at least I'm not one of those kids who pulls the legs off of them.