By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: Wii U will sell under 40 million units

Sal.Paradise said:

Brutal bump

yeaouch,. but hilarious.   i found my post and i was pessimistic but not nearly pessimitic enough.   :P

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
bananaking21 said:
man-bear-pig said:
UPDATE: Current Wii U sales: 3,906,796. 36,093,204 to go...

im not seeing any updates. im just seeing some bragging

After the horde of Nintendo fanboys decimating him for this thread, I think he's earned some bragging rights. 

he certainly does. its a strong prediction and he saw the WiiU having low sales when most believed it wouldnt, heck even our own benV was WAY off!! but i would like to note that the gen isnt over and WiiU has been on the market for just a year, it can still turn things around. (even though personally i dont think it will do so to a point where it would sell over 40 Million)

MegaDrive08 said:
I'll go I'll go 55 million

No Nintendo console has ever reached anywhere near that without decent third party outside of the Wii.

Metallicube said:

Looks at Wii U lineup...
2D Mario
Dragon Quest
Monster Hunter
Black Ops 2
Assassin's Creed 3
Wii Fit
Lego City Stories
Just Dance

(probably...)
Smash Brothers
3D Mario
Zelda
Metroid

Yeaaah.. somehow I don't see only 40 million sales happening, sorry..

80-90 million IMO

80-90 million in what 20 years?

BenVTrigger said:
Unfortuantly for those of you disagreeing with me I have a rediculous accuracy when it comes to these things mostly to do with the fact that I see real numbers every day and dont carry any personal feeling into numbers.

And anyone saying 40 million or less are very wrong. Casuals are the ones doing much of the current pre-orders

Golden post.

NintendoPie said:
man-bear-pig said:
NintendoPie said:
Fact: It'll sell more than 40 Million units.

That's not a fact...

A fact is something that is true. That's a true statement, so it is a fact.

That's not a fact :(

To be honest this thread is more depressing than amusing. The hype for next gen and the Wii U was so strong back then. Makes me worried for both new systems.

Around the Network
Rustynail said:
snowdog said:
I couldn't disagree more. I'm personally expecting it to shift 10-15m units before the PS4 and 720 are released, and due to Nintendo's (surprising!) forward thinking regarding the console's architecture combined with the U having a standard rendering pipeline this time around it won't have any problems getting multiplatform titles after the PS4 and 720 are released.

It's launching (whether launch or launch window titles) with several system sellers aimed at a variety of different demographics - NSMB U, Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover, ZombiU, Rayman Legends, Aliens Colonial Marines, Dragon Quest X and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. We may have to wait a little longer for Dragon Quest X, I haven't kept up with the details of that one but the others are either launch or launch window titles.

Lol, when looking back at this, 10-15 million? And 720? Where did you get that from? I didn't know Microsoft would ever call their console Xbox 720, that sounds plain stupid.

To be fair, this was before MS actually named it.  And honestly, 720 sounds better than Xbox One.  Of course, I doubt they would have called it that, as it would have just pointed people's attention to the fact a lor of their games are 720P, while the PS4's are mainly 1080P.

@ OT

Damn, even I wasn't pessimistic enough.  I said 60M.  There's still a chance that Nintendo gets their act together and really pushes the Wii U, but I think the damage is already done.

Seece said:
Metallicube said:

Looks at Wii U lineup...
2D Mario
Dragon Quest
Monster Hunter
Black Ops 2
Assassin's Creed 3
Wii Fit
Lego City Stories
Just Dance

(probably...)
Smash Brothers
3D Mario
Zelda
Metroid

Yeaaah.. somehow I don't see only 40 million sales happening, sorry..

80-90 million IMO

And who are these 80m - 90m people going to be exactly??

What kind of question is that?

And I'll man up, that was a dumb prediction, and I was way off the mark. At the time, I did not assume Nintendo was going to up and abandon the Wii audience/Wii philosophies and regress so heavilly back to the Gamecube style niche games. As of now, seeing what I've seen, I'd say anywhere from 30-50 million, depending on if Nintendo decides to return to the Wii/ oldschool type games that made the Wii the success it was.

By the way, was this REALLY necessary to bump?? This was a harmless prediction, it's not like I was trying to rip on the other consoles or something. And considering how the Wii U's predecessor performed, could you really blame me for this opinion.. Way to rub salt in the wound. And now I'm sure I'm gonna hear it from other people calling me out for this, now that you've brought it to the surface. I'm sure you've never been wrong in your life..

Thanks, guy! I really appreciate it.

Epic bump lol.

The people in here enjoying the Nintendo fans looking like fools and/or the failures of Wii U need to take a good long look in the mirror and wonder where they are at as people and where their priorities lie..

Its too early to tell, for any of the consoles. My early prediction for it is SNES numbers of around 50 million, but I think it all come down to how early/late Nintendo pulls the plug on it.