By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamers bombard Platinum Games with hate-filled messages over Bayonetta 2 on Wii U

Torillian said:

It's also a numbers game.  Out of the totality of people that played Bayonetta (roughly 2m) how many people have actually said stupid things on the internet?  Let's be generous and say there were 2000 separate people that said something stupid about the Wii U exclusivity.  That's still only .1% of the total so it absolutely makes sense that when you only talk to 15 you can easily find a group that are all acting completely rationally about the whole situation just like the bulk of Bayonetta fans are acting rationally about this one.  But on the internet you have a place where that .1% can all come together and make a big mess of things.  Anonimity brings out people's stupid, but I agree that it was there all the time and probably in the same amounts too.  And I definitely disagree with the idea that the N64 period was some magical time where people were smarter about these kinds of things, they just didn't have a forum to present their stupidity to the world.

Trucks agreed with me, that the internet breeds stupidity. So even if stupidity existed before, it's worse today because people feed on it through anonymity and the soap-box nature of the internet, which in turn makes them more stupid. It's like anything, you feed it, it gets worse (or better, depending on what it is).

So I stand by my analysis that things were more magical back then. You will always have trolls, but my discussions on video games were more interesting (though less insightful I'll admit) than they are today online.

I can still remember chats I've had IRL about games like OoT, MGS and FFVII at the time which had much more meaning than some of the things I discuss online today. It's not a rule, but it's there for me. It could be where I was raised, or other things in my experience personally, but I would find "that's just your experience" hard to believe.

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

Anonimity brings out the stupid in people. So yes, Internet is the perfect place for stupidity to breed but it's my opinion that these people were just as stupid before.

This is very true, I would know, that's what I used to be like.

I always used to think of the internet as a way to voice my opinions and vent anger without a filter and I used to think it was OK because everyone else did it. I don't think of myself as stupid back then, I just didn't care about other people and what they thought of me.

"Nintendo sucks for reviving Bayonetta 2. They should have revived it as a PS3/360 but no Wii U" - The idiots who bitch about Bayonetta 2 being Wii U exclusive.

Other than the death threats (really people?) and the misguided blaming of Nintendo, I'm okay with the outraged comments that I read. And like Torillian said, it's a small group of people complaining all at once.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

adriane23 said:
Other than the death threats (really people?) and the misguided blaming of Nintendo, I'm okay with the outraged comments that I read. And like Torillian said, it's a small group of people complaining all at once.

I guess you agree that it's neither Nintendo, nor Segas or Platinum games fault? I think the game was up for grabs for anyone who would be interested, it just happened to be Nintendo.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Around the Network

^ I think so too.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

Chandler said:
adriane23 said:

I guess you agree that it's neither Nintendo, nor Segas or Platinum games fault? I think the game was up for grabs for anyone who would be interested, it just happened to be Nintendo.

Yep, it was a business decision that was in the best interest for each party. Nintendo needed a a mature game in their lineup, Sega wants to focus on their main titles (tears for Vanquish and Binary Domain sequels), and PLatinum games didn't want to see their promising franchise go to waste.

I am the Playstation Avenger.