By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 2 is NOT a WiiU exclusive and here's why!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Dulfite said:
Bayo 2 (imo) will go on to sell 1mil LTD which should be more than enough to be profitable. If you make a game that can't reach profit unless it hits 1mil or more then you are probably crazy unless it's an mmo lol.

Bayonetta sold more than that and wasn't considered profitable. Nintendo is taking the dive for this game.

Im not so sure, we all know Nintendo are very shrewd and work within certain budgets. With this game almost ceasing to exist, i reckon Nintendo would have got it at a very good price. The game engine and certain builds were already in place, i dont think its as costly as people may think.

Around the Network
zippy said:

Im not so sure, we all know Nintendo are very shrewd and work within certain budgets. With this game almost ceasing to exist, i reckon Nintendo would have got it at a very good price. The game engine and certain builds were already in place, i dont think its as costly as people may think.

That is very true, but the cost of development as each generation begins will also rise, but once again NIntendo is making a similar game with similar tech to last generation (slightly more powerful). The profit expectations should actually be more than that of the last game. Nintendo is taking the fall for these games to try to woo gamers who play third party over to their console since they failed to get an adequate amount of third party.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
zippy said:

That is very true, but the cost of development as each generation begins rises, but once again NIntendo is making a similar game with similar tech to that generation (slightly moe powerful). The profit expectations should actually more than that of the last game. Nintendo is taking the fall for these games to try to woo gamers who play third party over to their console since they failed to get an adequate amount of third party.

Yeah, i hope it works out for them, if they make good profits off Bayonetta 2 or Devils Third, it might spur them on to fund more of these kinds of projects, or spin offs considering how well Hyrule Warriors has done. I dont think Nintendo will ever get any meaningful 3rd party support even if they have the correct hardware. Funding interesting exclusives is the route they should take, providing they stick to sensible budgets.

It's like the OP doesn't know what a contract is LOL. Nintendo paid money for the exclusive, if SEGA releases the game on other platforms then Nintendo will probably sue.

EDIT: Wow, this is a 2 year old topic.

"There is only one race, the pathetic begging race"

Could call the game Bayonetta 2 best version or whatever
For ps3 and 360 but the game is a flop and probably flop on the other systems anyways

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
zippy said:

That is very true, but the cost of development as each generation begins will also rise, but once again NIntendo is making a similar game with similar tech to last generation (slightly more powerful). The profit expectations should actually be more than that of the last game. Nintendo is taking the fall for these games to try to woo gamers who play third party over to their console since they failed to get an adequate amount of third party.

I'll be frank, the rise of cost of development for most companies is due to inneficiency more than anything else.  It's not like there's a polygon or texture res tax :P .  And more advanced tools that make development easier are being made available more and more readily for less cost.  The problem is a lot of these studios are bloated in terms of size, are lorded over by draconian execs and marketing divisions, and given stringent orders essentially on what to make.  All these things (excessive micromanagement, stifled creativity, and bloated size) are text book examples of inefficiency-breeding mistakes.  Add to that the absurd ammount of money spent on marketing for many games and the often inflated sallaries for the upper level people in the company and you have a serious proglem on your hands. 

Plus, keep in mind that different companies have different definitions of meaningful profit.  I doubt Bayonetta 1 returned in the red, but the profit probably wasn't high enough by their standards. 

Nem said:

SEGA owns the franchise. That means they can make how many Bayonetta games as they want (wich apparantly they dont want anyways), but the code of Bayonetta 2 belongs to Nintendo. Nintendo payed for it.
So, no. SEGA cant make a Bayonetta 2 sigma or whatever, because they have no rights to the code of Bayonetta 2, they only have rights to the brand. This means they would have to develop a new game from scratch, wich was what they didnt want to do in the first place, or Nintendo would have to be willing to sell them the original code.

Things like "changing a pixel" wont roll. A game is a set of code. Just because you change a pixel, 99% of the code is still the same. SEGA could try and do that, but it would not only ruin their good relations with Nintendo as it would end with a lawsuit in wich they would have to compensate Nintendo for it.

Well, that was the 2012 theory. I've gathered more intel since and wrote a second article

http://ryuz4ki57inenglish.wordpress.com/2014/09/28/as-expected-bayonetta-2-is-a-huge-flop-on-wiiu/

The most important thing is linked to what you said : It's OK if Sega decides to make develop its own code of Bayo 2, we agree on this? It so happens that Kamiya revealed that Bayo 2 development was stopped while the project had already advanced on other platforms. in others words, there are work-in-progress versions of Bayonetta 2 in PG's hard disks, that belong to Sega. All Sega has to do is tell PG to take those versions again and to finish developing them. This is a possibilty no one can deny.

yep could work.

Bajablo said:
ryuzaki57 said:

Here's what happens : Sega knocks at Platinum Game's door and says "ok guys I know you're losing millions with that WiiU only Bayonetta 2.  ...

Only they didn't loose a cent since nintendo funded the thing.

They didn't loose anything from developing it because it wasn't platinums money that was used. (not from the start, never)

I meant opportunity cost

Sega canceled Bayonetta 2. They have no interest i continuing this. Nintendo surely have the exclusive rights for Bayonetta and successors, like they have for Fatal Frame.

Sega is loosing no money with Bayo2... but they list money with Bayo1 on PS360.