By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Official PR Spin for December

@fast--that was a joke--it was a christmas gift

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Its a different situation world wide..

Anyhow, out of all three companies sony made the most profit.

Seriously Leo-J, just stop. I don't think even Diomedes would state something so blatantly false. Nintendo makes the most profits by far. Its not even close. Both Sony and MS are using revenue because since their consoles cost more money it makes them look better. Unfortunately for them, Nintendo is not only selling more units than them, Nintendo has been profiting off of every unit sold since they've launched each of their hardware platforms.

Interesting if expected reads.

MS going for competitors, Sony and Nintendo focusing on their own news (Japansese culture is frowns on direct competition mentions, etc.)

I also note that (while no doubt true) MS avoid anything to do with latest trends and December period, when Nintendo HW and games showed what 2008 could well be like) focusing instead on averaging things out to claim they did best in the year for software sales (which given their install base at start vs Wii and PS3 shouldn't be a surprise).

Overall typical bombast and I would argue somewhat misleading going into 2008 - but hey thats the way for MS

Nintendo sticking to facts (which are so good why spin them I guess?). They are in the number one position globally by a long way right now and know that unless MS pulls of a miracle they will be number one in US by end of 2008.

Sony focusing on more recent gains, since that's the only good spin for them. At least they're not trying unreasonable spin. They need to concentrate quietly on producing better results in US and wait until they have something worthwhile to shout about.

I do love the MS attitude of 'leading the industry'! As a European that sounds to me like talking about the Baseball World Series... 'You mean the US World Series?' In 2007 Nintendo led the industry thank you... spin is one thing, but let's stick to the facts.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Sony's PR is the definition of cherry-picking stats.

--thats my new daughter

Around the Network

Oh Microsoft. No need to get so flamey.

Nintendo kept their mouth shut.

Sony...actually said what happened. Bravo.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

naznatips said:
Haha my favorite is Microsoft's "Spent more dollars" method of comparison.

ROFL I almost forgot about that one, lol.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

@DKII: Which one isn't? I don't see Nintendo saying they have lost software-wise revenue with Xbxo360, also don't see MS saying anything about how fast they are losing ground to Wii and how hard it will be to stay on top next year. Interesting that they compare December and average X360 sales to PS3 sales but omit Wii, however when giving total sales they remembered to say that Wii LTD sales are lower than X360 sales.

I think that every company had something good to say and it's not surprise they sticked to it and didn't mention things

Zucas said:

There attacking of the PS3 and Wii I see is more out of desperation as from all I see in this NPD part is their world falling around them.  I mean all these big games released, and hardware wise they can't even tackle the Wii which was in limite supplies.  And knowing their sales everywhere else, this is scaring MS and they know they have to put down the comp to stay alive.  I've seen a lot of their latest PR reports like this to be nothing but works of desperation to keep the interest up.

Jeez, what planet are you from?! MS being desperate?? Seriously, you don't know anything you talk about.

Neither MS or Sony are trying to beat Wii since way back in time. Wii is unbeatable. Everyone knows that, but you're saying MS "can't even tackle the Wii".

And the X360 is still outselling the PS3 big time in the States despite 2 rapid price drops by Sony. In WW sales they are equal, but MS is hardly desperate since they've chosen the current situation themselves by chosing not to counter the latest Sony price drop. MS strategically has left lots of unused potential for price drops for later (probably for the spring and/or GTA4). Everything is going just as MS have foreseen.

Slimebeast said:

Zucas said:

There attacking of the PS3 and Wii I see is more out of desperation as from all I see in this NPD part is their world falling around them.  I mean all these big games released, and hardware wise they can't even tackle the Wii which was in limite supplies.  And knowing their sales everywhere else, this is scaring MS and they know they have to put down the comp to stay alive.  I've seen a lot of their latest PR reports like this to be nothing but works of desperation to keep the interest up.

Jeez, what planet are you from?! MS being desperate?? Seriously, you don't know anything you talk about.

Neither MS or Sony are trying to beat Wii since way back in time. Wii is unbeatable. Everyone knows that, but you're saying MS "can't even tackle the Wii".

And the X360 is still outselling the PS3 big time in the States despite 2 rapid price drops by Sony. In WW sales they are equal, but MS is hardly desperate since they've chosen the current situation themselves by chosing not to counter the latest Sony price drop. MS strategically has left lots of unused potential for price drops for later (probably for the spring and/or GTA4). Everything is going just as MS have foreseen.

'Just like MS have forseen'... makes them sound like Emperor Palpatine!  I doubt MS are desperate, but if they ever want their console to be the leader in any generation they're going to have to solve the casual gamer market - otherwise Sony and Nintendo can play tag taking number one globally each gen while MS take the hardcore US, UK and Oz gamers.  I guess MS might be happy with that but they'll always be number two at best each gen with than demographic.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...