By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple iPhone 5 and Sony Playstation Vita comparison

iPhone 5 is actually one of the cheapest tech-ey products I've ever bought...only £79!

Around the Network
pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:
I wonder why you're even comparing Vita to the iPhone 5, a phone that isn't even the most powerful phone out there apparently. Try Galaxy SIII

Galaxy S3 (which one, the USA, 2 core, or the European one, 4 core) is maybe faster than iPhone5 in the CPU part. The GPU of the S3 is slower, in both versions.

Why are they different in USA and Europe? GPU...It's not like I'm going to game on it, hah!

The American version has a 2 core LTE chip, the European version has a 4 core HSPA+ chip. Samsung does not have a 4core SoC with LTE, so they used a 1.5 GHz MSM8960 Dual Core Krait made by Qualcomm that has LTE connectivity on it.

pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:
I wonder why you're even comparing Vita to the iPhone 5, a phone that isn't even the most powerful phone out there apparently. Try Galaxy SIII

Galaxy S3 (which one, the USA, 2 core, or the European one, 4 core) is maybe faster than iPhone5 in the CPU part. The GPU of the S3 is slower, in both versions.

Why are they different in USA and Europe? GPU...It's not like I'm going to game on it, hah!

The American version has a 2 core LTE chip, the European version has a 4 core HSPA+ chip. Samsung does not have a 4core SoC with LTE, so they used a 1.5 GHz MSM8960 Dual Core Krait that has LTE connectivity on it.

So, is the 4 core more powerful?

I wouldn't say it's more powerful. ARM has different types of licenses, you can use their logic blocks without modification, as some companies like nVidia do using untouched A9s, and you have licenses of the instruction set, and you can do your own core. Krait is a qualcomm core that is wider and out of order, so in some types of work, a dual core Krait is faster than a quad core A9, and in some works, a quad core A9 is faster than a dual core Krait. I would say that a dual core Krait or the A6 made by apple is faster than the quad core used in the European Galaxy 3, as smartphones software isn't as optimized as desktop software to use multi core architectures, and most desktop software can't use more than two cores.

iPhone 5 and PS vita may have similar power but neither of them will use their full power in games. But at least the PS vita does not get hot and crash the game after half an hour (my ipod touch does that with gta 3!)

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

pezus said:

1.4 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 vs 1.5 GHz dual-core Qualcomm Krait

The performance is almost the same if I'm not wrong.

Around the Network
pezus said:
NintendoPie said:
pezus said:
NintendoPie said:
People who are complaining about contract costs need to get over it.

Nice prediction SuperChunk!

Complaining? Most people are saying it's unfair to not count the contract costs when making a comparison like this.

Yes, complaining. It's totally fair. Why would you count the contract price? All you should count is the retail price.

1. Because it's a price you have to pay

2. Because not everyone gets it on contract

3. Because it's not even available on contract in some countries I know of

Its a price that practically everyone who has a cellphone has to pay.

Well if they wanted it to be cheaper then they should've. 

We aren't talking about what a countries might not have contracts, many do if they have  a phone service, though.

Besides, I don't think SuperChunk was really focusing on price in the fist place.

Kynes said:
pezus said:

Actually, it appears the iPhone 5 just Geekbenched slightly higher than the four core Galaxy SIII. The amazing part is that it did it with a 1ghz dual core processor which is surely more power efficient than the SIII's chip. 

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/16/iphone-5-benchmarks-appear-in-geekbench-showing-dual-core-1ghz-a6-cpu/

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:

Actually, it appears the iPhone 5 just Geekbenched slightly higher than the four core Galaxy SIII. The amazing part is that it did it with a 1ghz dual core processor which is surely more power efficient than the SIII's chip.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/16/iphone-5-benchmarks-appear-in-geekbench-showing-dual-core-1ghz-a6-cpu/

The Android uses a lot of resource just to run the OS... so there are less free resource to others programs or benchs.

But the Vita actually has proper games and dedicated software support. Instead of 99c phone games.
Plus the Vita is way cheaper.

Kynes said:
pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:
Kynes said:
pezus said:

The American version has a 2 core LTE chip, the European version has a 4 core HSPA+ chip. Samsung does not have a 4core SoC with LTE, so they used a 1.5 GHz MSM8960 Dual Core Krait that has LTE connectivity on it.

I wouldn't say it's more powerful. ARM has different types of licenses, you can use their logic blocks without modification, as some companies like nVidia do using untouched A9s, and you have licenses of the instruction set, and you can do your own core. Krait is a qualcomm core that is wider and out of order, so in some types of work, a dual core Krait is faster than a quad core A9, and in some works, a quad core A9 is faster than a dual core Krait. I would say that a dual core Krait or the A6 made by apple is faster than the quad core used in the European Galaxy 3, as smartphones software isn't as optimized as desktop software to use multi core architectures, and most desktop software can't use more than two cores.

I agree with Kynes, iPhone CPU/GPU combo puts it at the top of the super smartphone list.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|