By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I think the 720 and PS4 will fail sales wise if there is no hook

@ Max

It's apparent if the Wii had the 3rd party support the 360/PS3 had the sales would be much, much higher. Nintendo basically carried the Wii with their own software. It's a pattern for Nintendo to shift development to its next console around the 4th or 5th year of its lifecycle. Nintendo was also preparing for the 3DS launch. That is why there were huge software droughts for the last 2 years and consequently sales dropped.

If the Wii U gets most of the multiplats then I wouldn't doubt it is going to be the choice console for the mass market. Assuming the 720/PS4 won't have an interesting hook.

Around the Network
Max King of the Wild said:
I love how I do the same thing as you and you say "not with the 360 and wii in the market." this is obviously the point. The 30 and wii are in the market... hency how absurd your comments on "if x didnt happen then y" but x did happen.

Also, like I said 100million people just don't dissapear. Less than half of those would need to switch to ps360 to meet last gens sales. Thats more plausible than your claims

How does that help your argument when Wii is still in the equation, which is my point entirely?

Regarding your last paragraph, see my last post.

Oosnap

Whats so appearant? The wii's third party games didn't sell that much. Thats why companies didn't want to realease on the console.

And nintendo should rethink their pattern. No reason to abandon a console thats making money because its a couple years old... this pattern really is only because they werent making money on gamecube or n64... youd expect that to change when they actually become successful

Oosnap

Whats so appearant? The wii's third party games didn't sell that much. Thats why companies didn't want to realease on the console.

And nintendo should rethink their pattern. No reason to abandon a console thats making money because its a couple years old... this pattern really is only because they werent making money on gamecube or n64... youd expect that to change when they actually become successful

Either way this gen console wise is long over due for a new gen.

To answer the OP, I think we can guarentee that the Next Box will provide a hook via Kinect 2.0 and Smartglass/Windows 8.

I'm sure Sony will have something to bring to the table.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

So that we can end on a point of agreeance, I will say that I concur with this.  I understand why they did what they did, but it doesn't excuse that they let the Wii die a slow, agonizing death in 2011-12.  They let a lot of Wii-only owners down in that regard.

Around the Network
OoSnap said:

What new will Microsoft and Sony bring to the table?

Nothing. They'll release the same old systems, with the same old controllers. They don't even try to add anything new. They say their consoles aren't incremental upgrades but that's all they are. They just up the power and demand more money from the consumer every now and then, abandoning their old hardware and alienating everyone who bought it.

What Sony and Microsoft don't understand about system power is that the people who care about graphics and power are on PC. Why would they settle for second best? So yes, the 720 and PS4 will be stronger than the Wii U. Not something for Sony and Microsoft fans to rejoice about though. All it does is up the production costs for Sony and Microsoft, and ultimately make their consumers pay more money for an inferior product.

Not to mention, when the 720 and PS4 come out there will be a price cut on the already cheap as hell Wii U... Put two and two together guys. It's easy to see who has the upperhand in generation 8 already.

duckypwns said:
OoSnap said:

What new will Microsoft and Sony bring to the table?

Nothing. They'll release the same old systems, with the same old controllers. They don't even try to add anything new. They say their consoles aren't incremental upgrades but that's all they are. They just up the power and demand more money from the consumer every now and then, abandoning their old hardware and alienating everyone who bought it.

What Sony and Microsoft don't understand about system power is that the people who care about graphics and power are on PC. Why would they settle for second best? So yes, the 720 and PS4 will be stronger than the Wii U. Not something for Sony and Microsoft fans to rejoice about though. All it does is up the production costs for Sony and Microsoft, and ultimately make their consumers pay more money for an inferior product.

Not to mention, when the 720 and PS4 come out there will be a price cut on the already cheap as hell Wii U... Put two and two together guys. It's easy to see who has the upperhand in generation 8 already.

Some People love good graphics but can't afford a good PC that will last 2-3 years (+$1,000), so a they settle with a beef console that lasts 5+ years at 1/2 - 1/3 the price.

And since we don't know squat about the other next gen consoles, its pretty arrgoant to say they won't.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Some of the ninty fans seems to forget that when the wii release the casual market was untouched. Thats was one of the reason why it was so succesfull. Of course price and timing was also a factor. But they wont be as succesfull as they were with the Wii simply because of the fact that both Microsoft and Sony will catch more on the casual gamers as they already did this gen.
The casual game market isnt untpouched anymore. That will hurt Nintendo.

And for the Wii U. I am not totally convinced that it will be succesfull the first year because of several reasons.

1. The game line up is pretty bad right knwo. 90% of the games are ports from older games. And we see what happened to the Vita sales wise. Vita had the same troubles (to many ports, to less unique games)

2.Graphically it only match X Box360 and PS3 with a small margin ( right knwo there isnt any game anounced that look better than the prettyst games of X 360 and PS4 )

3.X Box 360 and pS3 are still selling very well and have a lot of games to offer. So why would a normal gamer guy buy a Wii U for Assassins Creed 3 when i get it on my pS3

4. As innovative as some hardcore ninty fans found the tablet controller ( in fact i dont see whats so innovative is about as i can play a 3DS and have more or less the same feature
there are many gamers (casuals and hardcore) which find the new controller ( Tablet) to big, to unhandly and so on and so on. The people arent convinced right now and Nintendos lack of information doesnt help either.

5. With X Box 360 and pS4 right around the corner there wil, be a lot of rumours and infos that will convinced many gamers to wait a year more.

So in the end the hardcore nintendofans will buy the Wii U but that doesnt automatically mean that all the other gamers does the same.

They will sell better than the wii u, that is for sure.

OoSnap said:

I think the mass market will find the new consoles boring without a new control scheme or a new form of gameplay. I know gamers on forums love awesome graphics but the fact is the mass market could care less. Just look at the sales of the Wii and Nintendo handhelds. At least Wii U has the touchscreen gamepad and asymmetric gameplay. What new will Microsoft and Sony bring to the table?

I don't know what you're trying to say. PS360 have sold more than Wii. So the general public do seem to care about awesome graphics.