By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Has de anternet efected theater sale;s? HECK NO

So it is clear Star Wars is the greatest franchise. Thank you!

Either way if we look at TICKET SALES...yes there is a major effect with this August being one of the worst ever on record.

Ultimately with the gross going higher & higher it shouldn't matter!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
Adinnieken said:
Gilgamesh said:
Adinnieken said:
You mean "affect". "Has the internet affected theater sales? HELL NO"

Also, "Internet" is a proper noun, thus it is capitalized, not lower case.

Generally speaking, while the initial belief in the early 2000's was that the Internet did have an effect on movie sales, the general conclusion was that the real issue was crappy movies. The amount of crap released over the past 10 years makes the B Movie era of the 1950's and 1960's look pale.

I'll fix the title

Perfect! :D

There is a cartoon on Reddit about two friends competing for the most comments on Reddit.  The first guy post a thread about everything Reddit loves, cats, atheism, pot, and evolution, but gets fewer than 100 comments.  The other guy posts a thread with a grammatical error and gets over 400 comments.

So what your saying is after World War II all the Nazis sign up to Reddit.

pezus said:
Many people just wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray release these days, they come so quickly after the theater run. Was that the case eons ago?

I don't think many people even had a tv back in '39 :p
The difference between VHS on a small tv and theater release was also huge. Nowadays with big screen tv's, surround sound and blu-ray you can have an equal, more convenient experience at home. Especially since theaters got downgraded from 35mm to digital 2K. I haven't gone to the theater since I built my own one at home.

The wait seems shorter nowadays, The hunger games is already out on blu-ray. It used to be a year I think. It was as much time as between the staggered US / Euro theater release. When I was still living in Europe I could usually buy the import laserdisc or dvd at the same time or even before the movie came out in the cinema.

I'm not surprised that ticket sales are down, at the cinema I'm closest too, it costs £45 to get 2 3d tickets, 2 popcorn, 2 drinks and 2 hotdogs.

Nah, you know what hurts movies? The advancements in the home theater experience/quick disc releases.

Around the Network

i would say people still want to see the big blockbusters in cinema but i can imagine that those "average important" movies suffer from it since that are movies people don't care too much about but they still want to see them when they have nothing better to do and went in the cinema then in the past.

Gilgamesh said:

So what your saying is after World War II all the Nazis sign up to Reddit.

No, I'm saying a large percentage of people who post comments are rather pedantic.