By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - VG24/7: "Xbox 720 release delayed due poor processor quality – report"

Xbox 720 hasn’t even been unveiled by Microsoft yet, but a fresh report suggests that the reveal itself could be delayed due to a manufacturing issue that has led to ‘painfully low’ processor quality.

Tech news site SemiAccurate has stated – by way of OXM – that Xbox 720 will house AMD manufactured processors, rather than the Xbox 360′s IBM chips. The site claims that the processors were due to enter production this December, but delays have set in.

The site also claims that AMD’s Xbox 720 processor goes by the internal codename ‘Oban’, and is being developed at several locations in the East, but that the build quality is – as the site describes it – ‘painfully low’. The site’s source went so far as to say the build quality wasn’t even up to “horrid” yet.

This could mean delays in the Xbox 720 launch – which may sound daft as we don’t even know when it’s due in the first instance – but the site also claims that proper processor testing takes about eight weeks before they are shippable. A source has told the site that Microsft is currently targeting a September 2013 launch for Xbox 720.

The report also claims that date Microsoft can submit chips for testing before the end of the year is November 8, meaning it will miss the rumoured December production schedule. SemiAccurate estimates that Microsoft needs to enter full production by February 2013 to hit the rumoured September release date.

Cheers again OXM.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/09/06/xbox-720-release-delayed-due-to-manufacturing-issue-report/

Around the Network

hmm i hope that's not true. i mean, if it's true i hope they will work on that problem before release and release the console maybe later but hopefully they will fix it early enough if there is really such a problem and can still release it when planned.

Well.. atleast they dont seem to be rushing it..

Yay!!!

As long as they don't pull another RoD drama, they'll be fine.

crissindahouse said:

hmm i hope that's not true. i mean, if it's true i hope they will work on that problem before release and release the console maybe later but hopefully they will fix it early enough if there is really such a problem and can still release it when planned.

It's not,at first,who the fuck saying they're gonna use AMD CPU?lame rumor

And please at least put "rumor" on the title

Around the Network

cool

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

D-Joe said:
crissindahouse said:

no because that's the title of the report i quoted

crissindahouse said:
D-Joe said:
crissindahouse said:

no because that's the title of the report i quoted

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/09/04/microsoft-xbox-next-delay-rumors-abound/ 

Fuck VG247 title then

D-Joe said:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/09/04/microsoft-xbox-next-delay-rumors-abound/ 

Fuck VG247 title then

sure but that's the article i quoted and everyone who will read the op will know that this isn't 100% fact. people who only read the title don't have to post in a thread i opened if there will be some of them.

This fits that other GameStop rumour that one next gen console is launching in 2014. Pretty bad for MS if true.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.