By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Wal-Mart planning to KILL Blu-Ray

You have to remember guys, it's a marathon, not a sprint! Toshiba knows this and they're in this for the long haul. They shouldn't worry at all that blu-ray is outselling them, all other winning formats started slow but really got some steam once the big movies came out.

I predict blu-ray will lead up till 2009 but then HD-DVD will take over as the fad dies ;) 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
Hus said:
fooflexible said:
Yeah this is starting to not seem the big exclusive deal they are making it out to be. But what I find funny, is all the Sony fanboys who think blu-ray has the format war in the bag because it's selling 2 to 1. Do you same people think Nintendo has the console war in the bag because Wiis are selling 2:1 against ps3s? I'm sure you don't. And I'm sure you'll give an eloborate answer as to why that's different. But all these arguements are purely based on what everyone wants to see, and not honest evaluations of whats going on.

i find ignorance funny.

Br is exclusuvly backed by Disney and Fox, that would be as if Square and EA decided to back only one console.

Hus if anyone is ignorant on this site it's you. For crying out loud you never responded in the other thread where I specifically pointed out how you miss quoted an article just to make your point. Disney first is hardly a win in this war. most disney videos are bought for the kids to watch, I don't think people are bothering to get their kids high def videos. I have two kids myself and seriously wouldn't waste the money. Fox is a plus but nonetheless isn't the end all of all things. While if Square and EA didn't support a system the system would suffer, it's debatable if it is more significant then being dropped by the biggest store in America. Granted it doesn't exactly sound like thats the case here, so I'll reserve judgement. But for the record I've said and will say again I still don't see hd-dvd winning the war. And not for nothing for a Nintendo fan I've always given Sony credit where credit is due, but since you Sony fanboys don't seem to think that means anything maybe I shouldn't bother.

I would like to address a couple issues

Munkeh - Walmart is all about $$, the reason why HD DVD was chosen is because no cheap asian manufacturer is allowed to produce Blu ray players, unlike the HD DVD

Hus - your a tard

Kwaad - Walmart will probably still sell Blu Ray disks.. just not the players, again the reason why it's selling HD DVD players is because they're cheap (or suck as you stated)

Quartz - Your right, Walmart's not so big in other continents, but HD DVD as the most support from european studios, Japan is Bluray's only fortress (what is it like 98% Blu ray?). Also, won't be dual player because it has to be cheap!

Diomedes1976 - It's fuc&ing Walmart! They'll create their own userbase!!

ookaze - People who bought the expensive HD DvD's already have Bluray/HDDVD players. You don't think that Walmart will be selling cheap (sucky as Kwaad would say) HD TV's?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

For those who don't think Wal-mart can decide the war, it sells 40% of the DVDs in the USA. They are also well known to low-ball everyone they deal with whenever they can.

the header for this thread is misleading.  wal-mart doesn't plan to "kill" blu-ray, that part is an opinion.  that being said, it's something people should realize in a header like that.

just coz walmart would be selling low cost HD-DVD players in no way means they'll stop selling blu-ray players.  in fact, they could just as easily annouce the week after that they've contracted another company to make cheap blu-ray players.

the relevent question is, is it a good business decision to put emphasis on HD-DVD over Blu-Ray?  my personal opinion is that, for Walmart, yes.  low prices are key for walmart; not just comparable low prices, but absolute low prices, and that's the draw for their target customers.  if a blu-ray disk is $5 more, to wal-mart it means there's an opportunity to sell HD-DVD disks at $5 less, and have the customer spend the $5 on something else.

that's the discussion that should be going on, not calling names and accusing others for being ignorant.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

This does sound like BS to me. But if it is true (ignoring the "killing off" of BluRay), then BluRay could be in for some stiff competition.

From what Ive read, this has always been a significant difference between the BluRay / HDDVD camps. Toshiba doesn't mind to FLOOD to market with low-cost HD-DVD players - in fact they probably see it as essential. Sony on the other hand, wants to keep prices of BluRay players higher - to make a reasonable margin off them.

If the price of stand-alone HD-DVD drives comes down to $199US, and is out (in quantity) for Xmas - things get real interesting indeed. Price of stand-alone drives for the 360 should come down, better chance of having an embedded unit. And it puts more price pressure on the PS3 - as all of sudden, the "real" value of a BluRay player is much less than Sony would like it to be.

(it also makes a mockery of selling either stand alone device for $999US less than 12 months before). 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

For all the the freaking kiddies - walmart will still sale standalone Br players.

and the price means next to nothing, Sony already plans a $300 Br player by the end of the year.  (you can get a Br player for 480 right now)

so crap quality hardware from some nobody, or Sonys hardware.

lol tough choice.

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-13678-2+millions+of+Blu-Ray+players+for+Walmart.html

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/20/the-wal-mart-299-hd-dvd-player-on-the-way/

there was a mistake Walmart will support Blu Ray not HD DVD 

Hus said:

For all the the freaking kiddies - walmart will still sale standalone Br players.

and the price means next to nothing, Sony already plans a $300 Br player by the end of the year. (you can get a Br player for 480 right now)

so crap quality hardware from some nobody, or Sonys hardware.

lol tough choice.

Just curious as to how old you are and level of education hus?

ill take the cheap hardware over sonys anyday, its more reliable

hatzop said:

http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news-13678-2+millions+of+Blu-Ray+players+for+Walmart.html

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/20/the-wal-mart-299-hd-dvd-player-on-the-way/

there was a mistake Walmart will support Blu Ray not HD DVD

That is still unclear if you actually read the sources you provided carefully...

Good to see this site is still going