By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Wal-Mart planning to KILL Blu-Ray

Wallmart. Great in America...not much good anywhere else.

From Wikipedia (Yes-might need to take with a pinch of salt.) This is not the first time they have tried something and failed!

Competition.

Wal-Mart has struggled in other foreign markets. For example, in Germany, it had captured just 2% of German food sales following its entry into the market in 1997 and had remained "a secondary player" compared to competitor Aldi which boasts 19% share of the German market.[43] In July 2006, Wal-Mart announced its withdrawal of operations from Germany because of sustained losses. Its stores are to be sold to German company METRO AG[25] In China, Wal-Mart is "a small fish" as its strategy of "everyday low prices" has not been successful against "Chinese mom-and-pop shops that are used to cutthroat pricing."[44] In May 2006, Wal-Mart withdrew from the South Korean market when it agreed to sell all 16 of its South Korean outlets to Shinsegae, a local retailer, for $882 million who are as of late 2006 re-branding the country's Wal-Marts as E-mart. Wal-Mart had originally entered the South Korea market in 1998.[45] In the UK, Wal-Mart's ASDA subsidiary is the second largest chain after Tesco.[46] Specifically, ASDA is a distant second to Tesco in the UK grocery market, and as of 2006 the gap is widening, based on market share figures published by TNS Superpanel.

Somehow I'm not convinced that Wallmart can make a big difference based on historic attempts to take over the market in other places, unless they can shift WELL over 2 million HD-DVD players before the end of 2007. 

Good to see this site is still going 

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

oo! oo!! do me do me! Say why my post is wrong, and tell me wal-mart makes high quality products. Comeon. Tell me. I wanna have to explain why wal-mart brand products SUCK, and arent worth half of what you pay.

I didn't say you post is wrong. That's your opinion. I probably wouldn't buy it either. But people are cheap, and most people are not audiophiles or videophiles. So they are going to buy whatever is the cheapest out there.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

mancandy said:
Kwaad said:

oo! oo!! do me do me! Say why my post is wrong, and tell me wal-mart makes high quality products. Comeon. Tell me. I wanna have to explain why wal-mart brand products SUCK, and arent worth half of what you pay.

I didn't say you post is wrong. That's your opinion. I probably wouldn't buy it either. But people are cheap, and most people are not audiophiles or videophiles. So they are going to buy whatever is the cheapest out there.

Who said anything about it working?

I bought a Walmart brand car stereo. I had it exchanged 5 times, before I gave up and decided to just get my money back.

My walmart brand car speakers. I had them exchanged 3 times before I had 2 working speakers. (package of 2)

If it is electronics, and it is a wal-mart brand. (you cant buy it at another store) I will *not* buy it. And many *MANY* people I know do the same.

Also, people who dont care about quality, wont be buying HD players. :)

Also, the price tag is 299 I beleive. NOT 199. At the 300$ price, that is not much cheaper than some of the ones out there already, and that is the price sony expects BluRay players to be around holiday 2007 (possibly early 2008)

EDIT: I also just wanna say. HD-DVD has 1 thing on the amazon top 100. BluRay has 5. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

fooflexible said:
Why wouldn't they have the balls the ban blu-ray? They don't really make money on these products and despite blu-ray outselling hd-dvd that is a new trend in a very new battle. I was certain the battle was pretty much over when ps3 came with a blu-ray but if this news is true it will be a real test of walmarts power.

ohh god, the only thing left to do is LOL.

where did anyone say that walmart wont sale BR ?

You know what ?

I clicked on the link, and saw "Rob Enderle". This was enough for me to go back and say this : this piece is probably a piece of insane nonsense and stupidity, mixed up with heavy pro-MS content. Because Mr Enderle is well known to be a pro MS idiot.

Now I will go look at what this idiot has to say ...

EDIT : I was right. I'm speechless on seeing such stupidity. 

Around the Network
Hus said:
fooflexible said:
Why wouldn't they have the balls the ban blu-ray? They don't really make money on these products and despite blu-ray outselling hd-dvd that is a new trend in a very new battle. I was certain the battle was pretty much over when ps3 came with a blu-ray but if this news is true it will be a real test of walmarts power.

ohh god, the only thing left to do is LOL.

where did anyone say that walmart wont sale BR ?

I agree. This is gonna be too little, too laste for HD-DVD. Wal-mart will likely still sell BluRay. Wal-mart will likely not have much of an impact on this format war, becuase they only are getting 2million players made. That seems like a good number, but rember, there are over 4million BluRay players in the world, and only around 1million HD-DVD.

Likely there will be BluRay players in the same price this holiday season, and we will see the sales of BluRay players in the millions as well. Last year the HD-DVD and BluRay was too expensive for the general public. This year will not be the same story, BluRay might cost a little more, but people will know wich one to buy.

"If I buy HD-DVD, I can watch these 3 movies I dont really wanna see, and if I buy BluRay, I get to see SpiderMan3, and Pirates3." Those 2 titles are gonna win this holiday season. 

That order which Wallmart has done. You never know, it could be a dual player!

Good to see this site is still going 

ookaze said:

You know what ?

I clicked on the link, and saw "Rob Enderle". This was enough for me to go back and say this : this piece is probably a piece of insane nonsense and stupidity, mixed up with heavy pro-MS content. Because Mr Enderle is well known to be a pro MS idiot.

Now I will go look at what this idiot has to say ...

He seems to think the nubmer said was 199 (not 299 like it is guessed) He also seems to not realise... Wal-mart will still sell the BluRays... With the movies the people want... so the people wont buy the HD-DVD player.

Also, it's not even 100% positive it is a HD-DVD player.

As in, you could describe the BluRay player... as... 'A Blue Laser HDDVD player."

That describes both BluRay and HD-DVD. 

Kwaad, get your numbers straight. The amount of HD DVD players is at most optimistic around 300k and the amount of Blu-ray players is probably somewhere close to 3.2mil. These numbers include both standalone and console versions.

(Thus it's kinda funny that Blu-ray vs. HD DVD movie sales go in approximate 2:1 ratio)

Is wal-mart going to be selling the discs in stores or just the players?  if they are selling HD-DVD movies aswell than this could mean trouble for blu-ray. I'm not about this(not owning a player for either formats I haven't actually cared to check)but i heard that most retailers don't want to sell either format, if that's true then getting on store shelves of a store like wal-mart could give HD-DVD a significant boost. Whether or not it will kill blu-ray depends on how many people own hdtv's when this all happens, and the price of the players in question.

! think the one problem with the format war is that it is all very dependant on how many people own hdtv's, so even though blu-ray is winning it is only selling well in comparison to hd-dvd.