By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Wal-Mart planning to KILL Blu-Ray

http://news.digitaltrends.com/talkback184.html

What does this Mean?

It means that any studio wanting Wal-Mart’s support after year end had better be selling HD DVD movies. Wal-Mart won’t be promoting Blu-Ray and, after year end, will increasingly focus their marketing on getting people to buy into HD DVD players and the related HD DVD movie from them.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Around the Network

let's see what the position is later in the year, by then Blu-ray cold be out selling HD-DVD 4:1, at the moment it's only selling at 2:1. Honestly, I don't understand why they are doing this, at the moment blu-ray is winning. But if we look at later in this year, Spiderman 3, Shrek 3 and Pirates 3 will be out. Spiderman, probably the biggest one, will only be avaliable on blu-ray, so why not focus on blu-ray as tht film will be such a big seller

add me

Munkeh said:
let's see what the position is later in the year, by then Blu-ray cold be out selling HD-DVD 4:1, at the moment it's only selling at 2:1. Honestly, I don't understand why they are doing this, at the moment blu-ray is winning. But if we look at later in this year, Spiderman 3, Shrek 3 and Pirates 3 will be out. Spiderman, probably the biggest one, will only be avaliable on blu-ray, so why not focus on blu-ray as tht film will be such a big seller

If this story is true, then a year from now Blu-Ray will be gone. No studio is stupid enough not to print to HD-DVD if this really does go into effect. Wal-Mart could care less if Spiderman 3 is a big seller, they call the shots. Like the headline says, Wal-Mart just handed HD-DVD the win.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Think about it. It makes sense for them. It comes to cost. hd-dvd movies are cheaper to make, hd-dvd makers and backers are now desperate, Wallmart can sweep in and make the deal of a life time knowing they are one of the few people that could actually change their fate. Sony is the one pushing blu-ray they're the one taking a loss on the ps3, do you think Sony wants to take another cut to bring Walmart in, while they are already winning? heck no. They'll call Walmarts bluff.

Honestly I think this is quite cool to watch as someone who doesn't care either way, it's sort of a war of the giants. Sony seemed powerful enough to turn the tides, but is Walmart even more powerful? I tell you what, come christmas when people see $199.99 players and they just bought a hd tv, it's going to be hard to pass up. Not to mention movies that came out on both have all been reviewed better on the hd-dvd player. If this plan works for Walmart Sony may be forced to lower the price of the ps3. Or Walmart will have to back off. But honestly when you read the article and also this goes for any consumer electronic store they really don't make that much money on selling movies it's their to bring in foot traffic. So Walmart has nothing to lose. It will definitly be interesting.

LMFAO, more bs based on that rumor.

wallmart has said nothing, seeing as Br out sales 3-1 you think they will choose to lose out on those profits ?

Around the Network
mancandy said:

If this story is true, then a year from now Blu-Ray will be gone. No studio is stupid enough not to print to HD-DVD if this really does go into effect. Wal-Mart could care less if Spiderman 3 is a big seller, they call the shots. Like the headline says, Wal-Mart just handed HD-DVD the win.

LOL 

PS3 will use Br for the next 7 years, Br aint going anywhere. 

You guys cant be serious. This is a idiot reviewing that "Blue-Laser HD-DVD player for 299" crap.

Walmart dont have the balls to put a storewide ban on BluRay.

Expect BluRay players to be in the same price range tho. So this really isnt that decisive of a blow. Especially consider wal-mart is making this product. I would ***NOT*** Buy it.

(If I just bought my HDTV, and I was short on money and I really really really wanted a HD-DVD player or BluRay player. I would wait 2-3 months before I could afford... a non-wal-mart brand one. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Hus said:
mancandy said:

LOL 

PS3 will use Br for the next 7 years, Br aint going anywhere. 

You obviously don't know what Wal-Mart is. They are the biggest retailer in the world. They are can sway markets. They take small businesses and large businesses (Toys'R'Us) out. What Wal-Mart says, companies do.

What does your statement mean? So what if PS3's use BR? what's your point? PSP uses UMD, how's that going?

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

mancandy said:

You obviously don't know what Wal-Mart is. They are the biggest retailer in the world. They are can sway markets. They take small businesses and large businesses (Toys'R'Us) out. What Wal-Mart says, companies do.

What does your statement mean? So what if PS3's use BR? what's your point? PSP uses UMD, how's that going?

oo! oo!! do me do me! Say why my post is wrong, and tell me wal-mart makes high quality products. Comeon. Tell me. I wanna have to explain why wal-mart brand products SUCK, and arent worth half of what you pay.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Why wouldn't they have the balls the ban blu-ray? They don't really make money on these products and despite blu-ray outselling hd-dvd that is a new trend in a very new battle. I was certain the battle was pretty much over when ps3 came with a blu-ray but if this news is true it will be a real test of walmarts power.