By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Father in rural Germany finds his young son likes to wear dresses; does the same

NintendoPie said:
crissindahouse said:
Cobretti2 said:
Look intention is great but it is wrong.

Because when the kid goes to school he will have to wear a uniform. The school will not let him wear a skirt/dress so what is the father going to do then? He will be forced to put his foot down and tell his son he needs to wear pants.

we talk about germany

I doubt, if this trend of him wearing dresses continues, that his work-place would allow it, either.

yeah but seriously, just because someone likes to wear something in his freetime doesn't mean he can't wear something else in his job, or do you think everyone loves to wear a suit even in summer who has to wear that in his job or that every doc loves to wear white^^

Around the Network

ah wow, didn't know no school uniforms.

When we reach year 11-12 here, some school don't have uniforms. University is normal clothes.

THe reason they have uniforms in younger years, is so that everyone looks the same. Then no one can pick on poor people for having shit clothes compared to them. Personally i did not care growing up, but I guess I could see the reasoning behind how it might impact some people.

ganoncrotch said:
Torillian said:
that's a pretty cool thing for the dad to do for his son.

Whether or not he should be enforcing societal norms is a debate but I don't think "he'll get bullied unless you make him stop" is a reasonable argument. Lots of people including myself got bullied quite a lot for getting good grades and looking nerdy, I wouldn't want my parents to tell me to dumb myself down and get a tan just to appease a bunch of assholes in high school.

I got a fair bit of that at school too and like I agree with you I didn't change because of it just maybe had slightly fewer mates than most at school but still got on with it.... but at the same time I think there is a small difference between me being at school with a gameboy in my pocket and rathering sitting down lvling my team for the elite 4 during school gym time and saying that it's perfectly fine to where a dress as a growing man.

People can try and shield their children all they want both at home and now going into schools fairly heavily that everyone is a winner and we're all equal, but the sad fact is this just isn't the case, some people come out of the school system now with their attendence awards and 8th place medals and are just dumped into a world where they are not really winners, but rather diluded losers. It's just going to make the shock worse and worse the more people try to convince their child that everyone in the world is a nice person with an open mind to everything.

Yeah one is more severe, but part of this whole sexual identity rights movement is taking steps like this in my mind.  Not forcing your kid to do what you think is right to protect them or because you don't like it.  

Disagree with your second paragraph though, just because the world isn't filled with nice people with an open mind doesn't mean his father should follow that trend.  If anything a father should be the most nice and open to their children's likes and dislikes.  Even if the world thinks he's crazy he should be able to take comfort in the idea that his dad is behind him no matter what he decides.  

kain_kusanagi said:
Teaching gender equality is good. But teaching your kid that there's no difference between male and female is just plain stupid and a little dangerous.

If he was my son I might let him wear kilts, but not to school. I'd explain the differences between genders while instilling the value each gender has. Equal but different. Boys aren't better than girls, but boys are different from girls and vice versa.

Seems like a logic leap to me to say that he's not teaching his kid the difference between males and females, all he's doing is letting his son where the clothes he likes and supporting him in that by doing it as well.  Wasn't that long ago that it was perfectly normal for young boys to wear dresses up to a certain age.  Wearing a dress does not define the female gender, so letting your boy wear one doesn't necessarily mean you can't teach them the real meaningful differences between the genders.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
NintendoPie said:

I doubt, if this trend of him wearing dresses continues, that his work-place would allow it, either.

Then he simply change his goddamn clothes. And just because certain workplaces don't approve of his preferences doesn't make them 'wrong'.

Still, he could always start his own company and make his own rules if this would be that important to him, which I highly doubt.

But I thought the whole point of this was to point out that this kid thinks wearing dresses is important for him? At least important enough for his dad to take notice and to support him over it.

I have no problem with people wanting to be different (I could be considered "different" since I hate football and like to take care of my skin and such), but there's always a line. 

Around the Network

That's still no excuse not to wear shows

Torillian said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Teaching gender equality is good. But teaching your kid that there's no difference between male and female is just plain stupid and a little dangerous.

If he was my son I might let him wear kilts, but not to school. I'd explain the differences between genders while instilling the value each gender has. Equal but different. Boys aren't better than girls, but boys are different from girls and vice versa.

Seems like a logic leap to me to say that he's not teaching his kid the difference between males and females, all he's doing is letting his son where the clothes he likes and supporting him in that by doing it as well.  Wasn't that long ago that it was perfectly normal for young boys to wear dresses up to a certain age.  Wearing a dress does not define the female gender, so letting your boy wear one doesn't necessarily mean you can't teach them the real meaningful differences between the genders.

The article says he is teaching his kid gender equality. It's a terrible movement that has parents given their kids gender neutral names and hiding their gender from family and friends.

Our species has two sexes for a reason. We have similar but different bodies. Gender roles aren't bad by nature. If something isn't fair then fight it, but don't try to change human nature.

If men really want to wear a skirt they can wear a perfectly acceptable kilt. If a kilt isn't enough than it's not the dress they like, it's the girly aesthetic.

NintendoPie said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
NintendoPie said:

Then he simply change his goddamn clothes. And just because certain workplaces don't approve of his preferences doesn't make them 'wrong'.

Still, he could always start his own company and make his own rules if this would be that important to him, which I highly doubt.

But I thought the whole point of this was to point out that this kid thinks wearing dresses is important for him? At least important enough for his dad to take notice and to support him over it.

I have no problem with people wanting to be different (I could be considered "different" since I hate football and like to take care of my skin and such), but there's always a line. 

wearing some kind of clothes is important for many people, some woman always wear high heels, some guys always love to wear a hat but that still doesn't mean that they can wear other clothes without a problem in the job if it is necessary.

so, if a woman who always wears high heels has to wear normal shoes as nurse or whatever and she can do that without a problem, why should that kid have problems to wear "normal" clothes if necessary?

NintendoPie said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

It's not about what the kid 'think' is important, but what he evidently prefer, and how far his dad is willing to go in order to support him (which is admirably far, in my opinion).

Sure, there is a line, but I think it's far, far away from what shapes your clothes may have.

There would/will be many real-life problems this kid would have to face if his dad didn't teach him in some way about genders. Like which was said before, certain things about a gender shouldn't be swap-able.

Many kids like to wear their mom's clothes or play with girly things while they were younger, but if the dad/mom doesn't talk to him about "gender-specific" things then there will be obvious problems.