By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U will outsell PS4 or 720 by 40 million units. Prove me wrong.

enrageorange said:
Immortal said:

Perspective. 50m in itself means nothing, being decades ago. SNES was actually a pretty decent success; it maintained more than 80% of its predecessor's sales, with much, much stiffer competiton; in fact, the fifth generation was probably the most competetive ever, with the Sega Genesis managing a very comparable 40m.

Also, if we bring handheld sales into this (I don't see why not; it's the same industry), Nintendo's non-"innovative" GBA managed over 80m against less than 120m for GB. The thing here is that Gameboy sales include GBC, which was a fairly big deal graphically, meaning a significant amount of people probably upgraded, making the userbase not more than 80-90m at best. Also, GBA was killed very prematurely (its successor launched three and a half years after it) when it was barely hitting its stride, so it probably would've done a lot more.

Looking at this kind of precedent, I'd say it's very likely that WiiU will do about as well as Wii, since competition is likely to be much weaker, given Sony's financial state and the Vita, and there's no reason for WiiU to be killed prematurely by a successor.

Thats why I mentioned consoles specifically. Nintendo has a stranglehold on handheld gaming. Yes the psp sold tremendously well, but i firmly believe the sales were due to it being a popular multimedia device, not a popular gaming device. Hence why the vita is doing so poorly now that everyone has moved on to smartphones,  and hence the abysmal tie-ratio, despite it being a "core console gaming experience." Yes people will argue its due to pirating. But the 360 suffers heavy pirating and yet it has the highest attach ratio this gen. Heck even the "kiddy friendly ds" which is also amazingly easy to pirate on has a higher attach ratio.

The Wii U faces much stiffer competition if this gen is any indication of the future. The 360 and PS3 are going to end up having sales quite close to the wii when all is said and done. The 360 has made big headway in attracting some of the wii's casual audience. All three future consoles are going to feature some sort of motion control and tablet esque connectivity from the get go. The one big advantage the Wii U has is that its launching a year early. But if it ends up being much weaker than the nextbox and ps4, and third parties aren't able to just port the same games to it, I think its going to sell considerably less than the wii considering how fierce competition is for the casual audience currently.

You still haven't answered my main point. In video game sales history, innovation has never been necessary to hold onto your old audience. Consoles like the SNES and the PS2 and handhelds like the GBA have easily managed to hold the audience captured by their predecessors. Normally, something has to go wrong in a big way in order for the same people to not buy your console again next generation. The idea that Wii owners are casual hipsters without brand loyalty who are easily going to be pulled away by other things, while a plausible hypothesis, has little evidentiary basis. It's mostly based off "core" gamers' wishes so that they can feel superior to the "worthless casuals that Nintendo has been wasting time with".

Although Nintendo does have a stranglehold on handhelds, I can't see how that makes much of a difference. If they need innovation to succeed with home consoles, why shouldn't they with handhelds?

I don't see why you think Nintendo is gonna have stiffer competition either. In the sixth generation, it was 20m Nintendo consoles against some 180m non-Nintendo consoles, meaning that the competiiton was very, very threatening. In the seventh generation, it'll be something like 105m Nintendo conoles against around 180m non-Nintendo consoles. In comparison, the competition has become a hell lot weaker. Also, this time, Sony is in a dire financial situation and the PS brand has lost its magic. It took PS3 billions of losses (and even PS2 could sell at a loss at first) to get anywhere and Sony can't afford that again, meaning that it'll really take a miracle for PS4 to do well at all. MS could indeed be tougher, but I doubt it'll be enough to compensate for the lack of competition from Sony. For third party support, the difference between WiiU and the PS4720 doesn't look to be as huge as between Wii and the HD consoles. Even if it is, it'll just mean that the PS4720 will be a hell lot more expensive than WiiU as well, giving Nintendo more or less the same advantages as this generation.

Sure, there's more competition for the "casual" market, this time around, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. There was a lot more competition for the "mature" market created by the PS1 in the sixth generation, but Sony easily dominated it with the PS2 anyway.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
SaviorX said:

Its simple.

Nintendo will own Japan, MS won't.

In America, Sony will be too busy fixing Vita. Plus, they have no exclusives and they are still releasing new PS3 entries of their biggest IPs (GOW MGS)

Europe? Nintendo will reach into more markets like they did for Korea this gen. Watch when they invade China.

Wii U will eclipse 115m. Take that for what you will.

Considering both the PS3 and 360 will end up between the 85-100m range, I dont see WiiU doing 40 million more than them. That would mean WiiU coming close to PS2 wich will never happen, even Wii couldn't.

There is no way the wiiu will do better than the wii. The wii boomed in sales because every man, women and child wanted one for it's low price and cool controls. it's most definitely not the same situation this time around and I don't see it being a major success. Why buy a wiiu when you can buy a 360/PS3 for less and have access to way more first party and third party titles.
I'd say the PS4 and 720 will do better than the wiiu as they will likely display a notable jump in graphical quality and features, but that really depends on how Sony and MS approach the next generation.

Before we prove you wrong you must prove that what you say is right.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

SaviorX said:

Wii U will eclipse 115m. Take that for what you will.

lulz, whatever you say johnjucas.

Around the Network

of course those who dislike Nintendo will say no it won't and those who like Nintendo will say its possible

I think it is possible because I don't know that it won't because I don't have the ability to see the future like some Sony fans have

after all Nintendo was just lucky with Wii and DS

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

115 million might be a bit much but I think Nintendo will totally dominate the japanese market with the Wii U and I think that is what the console is primarily built for.

Ongoing bet with think-man: He wins if MH4 releases in any shape or form on PSV in 2013, I win if it doesn't.

Microsoft to me is a big question; I don't think they will be successful in Japan, and I would be surprised if they were as successful in Europe next generation as this generation; but I think they could probably be bigger in North America next generation due to them being an American company, and Americans being all patriotic/nationalistic and stuff.

Microsoft, if they don't screw it up, seems to have a good idea of what the next generation should be; the one way they could screw up is pricing. I think if they over-tech their console, and overprice it, it will do heavy damage to their market.

Sony... I honest don't think Sony has had a very good idea of what they're doing; they seem very confused about the videogame industry - and the company seems to be in chaos and on the verge of collapse right now. They still think that making powerful systems and slapping their brand on it is the way to success; when that was failing them, they began to heavily copy other companies in both hardware and software. I can see Sony continuing this confused strategy into next generation. In terms of marketshare; Sony relied heavily on the PS2 reputation to get what massively declined market share they did get this generation. I can see a lot of people not wanting another Sony console; and the Vita is strong evidence that Sony brand appeal has largely evaporated.

Either way, for Nintendo, it seems to be a much easier road this generation. If the 3DS vs Vita is any indication, Nintendo should see increased success in the next generation. Nintendo won't have the same sort of software droughts in the early system lifecycle, many of the top games on PS3 and Xbox 360 will also be on Wii U over the next year. Then after a year, the exclusive lineups will kick into full gear, and it might be hard for anyone else to catch up after that.

I think Wii U could outsell Xbox 3 by a large percentage; but PS4 it should outsell by at least 3 fold, otherwise they are doing something wrong.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Microsoft, if they don't screw it up, seems to have a good idea of what the next generation should be; the one way they could screw up is pricing. I think if they over-tech their console, and overprice it, it will do heavy damage to their market.

Microsoft also have the curse of the third console to overcome.

Sony, Nintendo, and Sega all had disappointing 3rd consoles.

Scoobes said:
Jumpin said:

Microsoft also have the curse of the third console to overcome.

Sony, Nintendo, and Sega all had disappointing 3rd consoles.

It's a very ironic hurdle. Short version: hubris. It wil be interesting to see how Microsoft takes it.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.