By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Rumor. Disney to drop BR.

It would be really funny if Disney dropped BR for one of the other HD formats out there right now that most people haven't heard of. that would really shake up the format war.

I would laugh about it because I haven't started taking place in it yet even though I have a HD DVD drive built into my brothers lap top.

PC Gamer
Around the Network

Pixar/Disney are going to be two of the forces behind Apple's new HD movie downloads.

Why would they continue giving people the option of BR?

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

tokilamockingbrd said:
maybe they realize how fake that BR makes their movies look... seriously, I was watching Pirates 3 in BestB and It was so clear it made the movie look fake... In order to stop this the production cost on movie will soar... I went and bought the movie on DVD when I saw how bad it looked...

Were you being serious or sarcastic? If you were serious, I would HAVE TO agree with you. When something looks TOO real, it turns people away. Sometime realism can actually hinder what a consumer wants in a broadcast or production on TV, movie, and yes, video games at times. When something is too real, it borders between make-believe and realism. Something that is too realistic has psychological affects on a person and can hinder life and fantasy, making anything you view confusing.

Seeing a movie in a movie theater is a treat, especially the new digital movie theaters. I remember seeing Pirates: At World's End in a digital theater. MY GOD, it was so real; the sound and picture quality almost rivaled an IMAX, but not the sheer size of the theater itself. Just seeing Davy Jones and Jack Sparrow swordfighting on The Dutchman in the theater really did spook me a bit. It was so real because of the clarity and sound. It did intrigue me on how good that movie theater improved with technology. Sure there's excitement in seeing something so breathtaking, but you have to remember that a movie (nearly 99% of the time) is fictional because it was filmed and not live-action such as a play or concert.

I could easily see Disney discontinuing BluRay support for a year or so, it's probably a losing venture at the moment and most of their audience won't be buying BluRay players for a couple years, if ever.

Coca-Cola said:

Hoping if anyoe here have heard this.

A firend of mine that works at Dinsey called me last night and told me not to buy BR player yet.

It seems that a rumor is going around in his office that Disney is planning to drop all movied for BR. They are not choosing HDDVD, but continue to release movies on DVD.

Of course there is no link to this.

Anyone here work at Disney and heard the same rumor?

If this is true, then what will happen to BR? Will other studios follow?

One thing is clear tho, HDDVD is on it's way out.

We sure have heard a lot of these stories recently...

Around the Network

i doubt they will drop BR

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

EHSTEVE said:
That would be the dumbest move ever by Disney...

unless microsoft gives them a bucket load of money

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Coca-Cola said:

Hoping if anyoe here have heard this.

A firend of mine that works at Dinsey called me last night and told me not to buy BR player yet.

It seems that a rumor is going around in his office that Disney is planning to drop all movied for BR. They are not choosing HDDVD, but continue to release movies on DVD.

Of course there is no link to this.

Anyone here work at Disney and heard the same rumor?

If this is true, then what will happen to BR? Will other studios follow?

One thing is clear tho, HDDVD is on it's way out.

Are you freaking retarded? Why the hell would Disney drop Blu-ray and HD DVD? Are you like mentally challenged or what? Why would a company known for its great movies on Blu-ray and everyone wanting their movies in H, why on earth would they drop all High Definition support?

So the rest of you are saying that Disney isnt making enough money on their blu-ray releases? Try walking around with a CEO for a week, you'll find they want every penny they get, you really think that they will give up that 63 million even if its a fraction of what they make over merchandise, DVD's, and all that other crap, I dont think so.

Seriously, did you think about it at all before you posted? Disney makes plenty off of Blu-ray to continue to support it..

Oh my god..... Drop all HD support.... You're just.... Oh my god

PooperScooper said:
I think this is total crap.

BTW REVENUE = 169mil Blu-ray - 103mil HDDVD for Warner.

Forget the revenues, what's the number for the profits? I'm curious. :)

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Smash_Brother said:
inFamous. said:
Smash_Brother, Disney OWNS pixar...not the other way around

No, I'm quite sure it was a merger in which the Pixar management took over Disney to rescue it from its downward spiral.

For all intents and purposes, John Lasseter is calling the shots.

http://www.news.com/Disney-buys-Pixar/2100-1026_3-6030607.html

Disney bought Pixar, Pixar took over the animation studios of Disney. That is all.

And Jobs is on the board of directors.