By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Rumor. Disney to drop BR.

HappySqurriel said:

I could understand Disney deciding to not release any of their classic animated movies to Blu-Ray until the market was more mature, or possibly to stop releasing classic movies of any type until later, but I would doubt they would stop releasing new movies.

The reason for this is simple, the "Disney Vault" is a gimmick designed to force collectors to rush out and replace their existing copy of a movie with a shiny new copy, because the new copy will only be available for a limited time. This strategy will not work well unless most people they are attempting to sell a movie to have the hardware to play the movie.

They've already announced first classics to move to BR.  This topic (sorry to OP) is below an actual rumour.  It is without any substance whatsoever.

Disney have always been strongly behind BR.  They need a new format to push their classics, etc. all over again and have very strongly backed BR.  Now, with BR effectively winning the war thanks to Warners they're suddenly going to abandon all that effort?  There is not one shred of evidence for this neither would it make a bit of business sense for them right now.

I can't see Disney doing anything but back BR and digital downloads while continuing to support DVD through to the end of its life.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Around the Network

That would be the dumbest move ever by Disney...

TheBigFatJ said:
carlos710 said:
why would they drop their BR support now that BR looks like the clear winner?

DVD outsold BR nearly 200:1 last year. DVD is the format winner.

The other thing to consider is that BD players also play DVDs. So you have 100% of your market if you sell DVDs only and it costs you nothing extra. Rather than selling BDs to about one percent of your market and DVDs to 99%, you sell DVDs to all of those people (since few people will buy a movie just because is BD).

You could say the same thing for any new format... I"m sure DVD was outsold by VHS in it's first full year

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....heh....

So, WHY exactly would Disney be this stupid?

I don't believe Disney will pull out of BR, but he was just sharing with me what the workers were talking about.  Either way, I'll wait a little more before buying BR player - just in case.

Maybe Disney is trying to get money from BR people.

Also, didn't Disney make a deal with Microsoft with their downloadable movies and T.V. programs?

Around the Network

Might have something to do with the fact that the new Apple TV is out and supports downloadable HD movies and that Disney is owned by Pixar who is owned by the same guy who owns Apple.

It just MIGHT...

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

and the hits keep comming http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/16/digital-playground-to-phase-out-hd-dvd-in-2008/

Smash_Brother, Disney OWNS pixar...not the other way around.

Disney is 100% backing bluray, now and always. Much like being one of the first parent companies of major record labels to embrace "ganster rap" in the 90's...facts, that's what they are...use em lol.

Guys...what's with the fanboys on here, who once fought for hd-dvd, now sitting around pretending their behind the old dvd format...the fight is over, stop wasting our time lol.

inFamous. said:
Smash_Brother, Disney OWNS pixar...not the other way around

No, I'm quite sure it was a merger in which the Pixar management took over Disney to rescue it from its downward spiral.

For all intents and purposes, John Lasseter is calling the shots. 

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

finalsquall said:
You Shouldn't listen to the advice given from janitors who work at Disney. J/ks But I doubt it's true. It would'nt make business sense if Blu Ray is leading. Why not go HD DVD. Eventually DVD's will be replaced.... oneday!

if that was the case than no studio would want a switch.  these companies are selling the hd movies at a massive premium. this is about money and dvd doesnt give them as much as hd.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.