By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I've never seen the forums as dead as they are right now

Tagged games:

Why so little activity?

We banned the trouble makers 13 16.05%

School's in 13 16.05%

The industry is slow 25 30.86%

Nintendo has taken over 22 27.16%

Other (please explain) 8 9.88%

Total:81
happydolphin said:

I remember the Zelda marathon thread. I had registered to join but that was still early in my time here as a poster and I never lived up to that promise, and oddest thing it was in the back of my mind lately. I've been getting better at making promises I can keep and keeping those I make personally. Once I saw people were ahead of me I had to abandon the thread because I had no progress to post. It's too bad because Zelda is one of my most beloved series and it would have been a stimulating experience, but oh well. Anyways, I'm upset that didn't turn out like you would have expected. Do you think it would have turned out better in the other forums you're in?

I noticed alot of participation in your ME3 thread, and almost all the posters respected your asking for spoiler markers where needed. I'd be surprised to hear that that didn't go well. The threads run out of steam, is that something that's unique to vgchartz or does it also happen on the other forums you're in? Could it be possible that in those cases, maybe on vgchartz, it would be good to post a new thread on the series without having to go through the official thread? Start a more specific topic on the series and see what people say. Give it a try I'd like to see how it turns out. For example, I made that thread on Mario's appeal. Remember how Rol said that I had made a previous one very similar to it? Well, the first one had run out of steam, much like your threads. A few months later I rehashed it and look how many new opinions came out of it. I find the second one was much more of a success. What's the crime in doing that, if people say anything about it, just tell the to buzz off.

About oneupsmanship, pissing contests and spam, I personally can only talk about what I know, and that's my own behavior, in that I am guilty of all of it in different degrees, and am always working on it. How to be meaningful, how to be relevant, and how to keep your interlocutor's interest and attention. I'm not sure, it's all a mistery to me. I've found that when I least worry about what I will say is when I get the best responses. When I'm actually interested, expecting answers and asking questions, that's when I get the best conversations. So I'm not sure how much others are working on it but I personally am.

There are certain games that I like, certain games that I want to talk about, and others that I'm less familiar with that I might not talk about. Maybe what you're proposing is that people should try to post only in topics that genuinely interest them and not post on an urge on something that tics them, and take a more observant approach for games they are less familiar or happy with? I'm not sure.

As for the first para, I was really referring to the stylistical debate. Does that change your answer?

I can answer the body of this by talking about the Mass Effect thread in the other forum I participate in

That is to say, there are two Mass Effect threads in two subforums, and each has been running nonstop (with new topics posted every 4000 posts) since the first Mass Effect game came out.

You can see why i'm more attracted to a forum where this is possible.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

I can answer the body of this by talking about the Mass Effect thread in the other forum I participate in

That is to say, there are two Mass Effect threads in two subforums, and each has been running nonstop (with new topics posted every 4000 posts) since the first Mass Effect game came out.

This is a fairly small community. I imagine most of us haven't played Mass Effect for months.

But if you want to resurrect your thread, by all means, do it.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Khuutra said:

This is a fairly small community. I imagine most of us haven't played Mass Effect for months.

If I thought I would be able to get conversation going about how excellent Leviathan is or how I just got the game on Origin so I could use some help rebuilding my multiplayer manifest there, believe me, I would have tried already

Khuutra said:
Kantor said:
Khuutra said:

If I thought I would be able to get conversation going about how excellent Leviathan is or how I just got the game on Origin so I could use some help rebuilding my multiplayer manifest there, believe me, I would have tried already

How can you know unless you try? I haven't played Leviathan, but I'm sure plenty of people have.

This has never really been a game-focused forum, more a console-focused one, even back in the golden days, but if you want to discuss games, you can.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
Khuutra said:

How can you know unless you try? I haven't played Leviathan, but I'm sure plenty of people have.

This has never really been a game-focused forum, more a console-focused one, even back in the golden days, but if you want to discuss games, you can.

I did try, back with the first few multiplayer DLCs, and the Earth DLC. The Extended Cut, too. THis is not something I've failed to try.

Your second paragraph pretty much brings it all together, I guess

I find that depressing in a very real way.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Kantor said:

I did try, back with the first few multiplayer DLCs, and the Earth DLC. The Extended Cut, too. THis is not something I've failed to try.

Your second paragraph pretty much brings it all together, I guess

I find that depressing in a very real way.

But how can the forum help that, and is it something that got worse over time?

About the Zelda thread, maybe you should try lowering your expectations. For example, find a buddy online who will commit to the Zelda marathon (who knows maybe I'll PM you about this someday), and do it with him/her in the thread, and invite whoever else is interested to join. Then, you and said players could go through it together, and others could follow and maybe join in as they get interested, or join in at a different point that interests them particularly.

Sometimes it's just in how you present your threads, and what your level of expectations is. One thing is certain, you can't increase the # of posters that visit here, all you can do is work with what you know, in that some posters have insights on certain topics, and there's a level of intelligence on this forum you don't find as easily elsewhere. In other forums people may be resourceful but not as analytical. You have that here. So, the trick is to lower your expectations and feed people in smaller doses here so as to catch fish (thread posters).

If you expect 400+ posts, it's rare you'll get it so you might be dissappointed. Lower your expectations to say 100 and try to change your bait. It's been working for me. And then, don't let the numbers discourage you, just keep trying (I do that too, so I'm not just saying, I'm also walking the talk).

I don't know about you guys and those other threads--I skipped em to avoid spoilers. All I know is that the Dragon's Dogma thread was so much fun to be a part of.

Also, it seems that the forums are back alive again. Things were looking pretty bad last week when I made this thread. Now, it seems like things are okay.

d21lewis said:
I don't know about you guys and those other threads--I skipped em to avoid spoilers. All I know is that the Dragon's Dogma thread was so much fun to be a part of.

Also, it seems that the forums are back alive again. Things were looking pretty bad last week when I made this thread. Now, it seems like things are okay.

@bold. THIS!! It happens all the time, especially since I play newly released games much later than most other people.

axumblade said:
Kantor said:
Khuutra said:
Kantor said:
Khuutra said:

The biggest game-focused thread have always been like Mario Kart and Smash Brothers...

The mario kart 7 tournament thread got hit with a blue shell and crashed hard. Especially for the number of people that have 3ds's here and considering it only takes 8 people to fill an online race.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Like I suggested, merge many subforums together, there are so many of them, I think many of them are useless and no one visits them.