By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EuroGamer: How Powerful is the WiiU Really?

nuckles87 said:
Soundwave said:
Conegamer said:
Soundwave said:
Conegamer said:
From what I've seen, and what most non-anonymous sources seem to agree, is that its between 1.5-2x the power of the current gen. I'd be surprised if the PS4/720 are much more powerful.

Remember, Ninety designed this with 3rd parties; it's their system.

I think this is naive. I'm sure Wii U will be fine for Mario/DK/Kirby/etc. but what would be the reasoning for MS/Sony to make consoles just a tad more powerful than the 360/PS3 that they already make?

Sony's already said there's no point in releasing a PS4 if it's not a big leap over PS3.

This is basically going to be the Wii-PS3-360 all over again. Nintendo needs the touchscreen controller concept to come up big for them.

Its not naive, it's a cost issue. Sony cannot afford to release a console several times more powerful than the PS3, and if they do, most devs won't use most of it so you won't see the difference.

Look at the rumour thread; all rumours price all consoles closely with all consoles similarly powered. Expecting a $600 beast is naive.

it'll be closer to PS2-Xbox-GC IMO.

A modern $200 consumer priced GPU blows away a PS3/360, especially in a closed console environment.

PS3/360 are nothing special, this is ancient tech nowadays, you don't need a $600 system to blow those away. The only reason the PS3 was $600 anyway was because of the Blu-Ray disc format. The 360 launched at $299/$399 seven years ago.

Not true at all.

The blu-ray drive was only $125 of the PS3's $840 asking price:

http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20061117PR200.html

To put things in perspective, total loss on the $600 model was $241, so even without ANY blu ray drive at all, the system still would have lost over $100 per system at the $600 asking price.

Sony can't sell their next system for this price, and they certainly can't take these kinds of losses with their current financial situation, especially now that they've lost their market dominance.

The guy forgot when the PS3 was launched at $600 the GPU based (GeForce 7800) was $350 to $400... only the GPU.

Around the Network

Don't really trust all of this "sources", I'm going to wait until the thing comes out for the definitive specs

Nintendo and PC gamer

pezus said:

Why is everything in italics? Fixed

Underlined: Enlighten us, since I assume you're more than the ignorant fools you speak of and it would be easy for you to tell us how

Bold: Quitting their gaming business is among the last things Sony would do. 400 dollars in 2013/early 2014 will be more than enough though, since Nintendo have to factor in the expensive tablets to their price (and it will most likely launch at $299). Sony don't have to worry about Blu-Ray anymore, or the expensive development of the Cell. If they just stick to their guns and get a powerful CPU+GPU in there that are easy to develop on, they will have their success.

You see, 3rd parties are clearly not moving over to Nintendo, so we have to assume they are waiting for PS4+720 and I'd bet my behind that MS would not want to have Nintendo as the direct competitor. They are in this for Sony.

I thought Italics was an error of my browser...

Underlined: Simple, any company can make a console for like, 1500$ and it will be superior to anything Microsoft and Sony put out at 400$. Even someone with a gaming rig that consists in any modern kepler GPU has no reason to downgrade to a X720 or PS4.

BOLD: Sony had massive losses with the PS3, PSP was left in the dust by third parties some good years ago. I don't need to mention PSVita, I wonder if they will ever recover from that one, and now they will repeat this with PS4?

I don't think so. The next most powerful console I dare to say is Microsoft. But like I said, nothing that touches a modern gaming rig.

Between the 2 routes, which one is Sony taking ?? And bear in mind that they might be doing their own take on the Wii U Gamepad, and if so, I'm expecting a console just as the same as the Wii U.

FrancisNobleman said:
pezus said:

Underlined: Enlighten us, since I assume you're more than the ignorant fools you speak of and it would be easy for you to tell us how

Bold: Quitting their gaming business is among the last things Sony would do. 400 dollars in 2013/early 2014 will be more than enough though, since Nintendo have to factor in the expensive tablets to their price (and it will most likely launch at $299). Sony don't have to worry about Blu-Ray anymore, or the expensive development of the Cell. If they just stick to their guns and get a powerful CPU+GPU in there that are easy to develop on, they will have their success.

You see, 3rd parties are clearly not moving over to Nintendo, so we have to assume they are waiting for PS4+720 and I'd bet my behind that MS would not want to have Nintendo as the direct competitor. They are in this for Sony.

Underlined: Simple, any company can make a console for like, 1500$ and it will be superior to anything Microsoft and Sony put out at 400$. Even someone with a gaming rig that consists in any modern kepler GPU has no reason to downgrade to a X720 or PS4.

BOLD: Sony had massive losses with the PS3, PSP was left in the dust by third parties some good years ago. I don't need to mention PSVita, I wonder if they will ever recover from that one, and now they will repeat this with PS4?

I don't think so. The next most powerful console I dare to say is Microsoft. But like I said, nothing that touches a modern gaming rig.

Between the 2 routes, which one is Sony taking ?? And bear in mind that they might be doing their own take on the Wii U Gamepad, and if so, I'm expecting a console just as the same as the Wii U.

I agree. People seem to be forgetting Sony can't just do another 'PS3' or 'Vita' with the PS4. They've only lost money this gen. Shareholders won't allow a repeat of current events.

Microsoft is in the best position as they've been doing quite well for most of this gen. They've managed to establish quite an installed base with the 360. Whether that installed base will shift to the XBox 8 remains to be seen but in any case, Microsoft could be the only one producing a console that's going to cost more than it makes at launch giving them the performance advantage next gen.

The guy forgot when the PS3 was launched at $600 the GPU based (GeForce 7800) was $350 to $400... only the GPU.

That's the price of the desktop gpu. With costs like shipping and advertising factored in. And a considerable profit margin.
The cost of the RSX was considerably lower as it's a custom chip based on existing hardware and it's the product in a multi-year deal.

pezus said:
FrancisNobleman said:
pezus said:

Underlined: You said any ignorant fool could make a console more powerful console than modern PCs. That is what I am questioning you about. Then you contradict yourself by saying "nothing that can touch a modern gaming rig".

So what do you think Sony will do? They can't just release an underpowered console. There has to be a gimmick that catches on or massive first party games for that to happen. 

I expect them to go the same route as the Vita. Powerful machine at an affordable price tag. Obviously more powerful than the WiiU, not enough for an Wii-PS3 situation though.

Around the Network
pezus said:

Underlined: You said any ignorant fool could make a console more powerful console than modern PCs. That is what I am questioning you about. Then you contradict yourself by saying "nothing that can touch a modern gaming rig".

So what do you think Sony will do? They can't just release an underpowered console. There has to be a gimmick that catches on or massive first party games for that to happen. 

I meant they could do a console on par with the most modern GPUS, my bad. Imagine a console that has the same performance as a 2500$ pc rig. That's what I meant, sorry for bad phrasing.

Yes, sony can release an underpowered console, they did it with the PSone, which was behind the N64, and they did it with the PS2, which was behind the Gamecube and Xbox.

It's funny how just one gen can twist people's mind or at least the most young/unexperienced gamers. Wii is the only console Nintendo released that was underpowered and al of a sudden they are a company that doesn't invest in hardware. Sony makes once, a home console that is the most powerfull and all of a sudden they are the ultimate gaming powerhouse.

Doesn't work like that, that's why I'm saying that I'm not expecting PS4 to be in the same ballpark as the X720.

PS2 << Gamecube << Xbox

Wii U << PS4 << X720

thats my bet.

Mr Khan said:
TheShape31 said:
A shade better than last gen. Sounds like another 3-year system from Nintendo. Beyond that, the hardware won't be competent to keep up with the various demands of next-gen gaming. Just like the Wii it'll be fun for a bit, but then it'll be time to move onto a more capable system.

a 3-year system? What does that mean?

The hardware within the Wii was relevent for about 3 years before the games started to look comparatively embarrassing to the competition's.  The same thing is likely to happen in the way of the Wii U.  It will be behind the curve beyond its first 3 years, and sales will likely drop off as they did with its predecessor.  The Wii U will be seen a few years from now as a previous gen machine with a next gen peripheral, just like the Wii has been for the past few years.

I bet Wii U will have strong sales for a few years, then lose favor with the general consumer like the Wii.  Who knows, it may even outsell the competition and end up in first place for the second generation in a row.  But the system must see a huge consumer demand, similar to that of the Wii, if Nintendo expects that to ever happen again.  Right now there's a lot of consumer confusion, so hopefully next month they can iron that all out.

WIll the real Nintendo please stand up and tell us the specs straight out?  It's getting pretty tiring hearing back and forth arguments over how stronger the system is stronger than PS3-360 and/or if it can stand up to PS4/720.  I feel like this newest "report" from Eurogamer doesn't really tell the whole story, especially if they quote some "anonymous" developers.

TheShape31 said:
Mr Khan said:
TheShape31 said:
A shade better than last gen. Sounds like another 3-year system from Nintendo. Beyond that, the hardware won't be competent to keep up with the various demands of next-gen gaming. Just like the Wii it'll be fun for a bit, but then it'll be time to move onto a more capable system.

The hardware within the Wii was relevent for about 3 years before the games started to look comparatively embarrassing to the competition's.  The same thing is likely to happen in the way of the Wii U.  It will be behind the curve beyond its first 3 years, and sales will likely drop off as they did with its predecessor.  The Wii U will be seen a few years from now as a previous gen machine with a next gen peripheral, just like the Wii has been for the past few years.

3rd parties never cared, whereas Nintendo stopped caring after 2010 (or earlier depending on the school of thought you subscribe to) which is the source of the drop in sales, not because of the tech.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
TheShape31 said:
Mr Khan said:
TheShape31 said:

3rd parties never cared, whereas Nintendo stopped caring after 2010 (or earlier depending on the school of thought you subscribe to) which is the source of the drop in sales, not because of the tech.

I don't know, I seem to think that NIntendo put all their focus on other things once they realized that consumer demand had dropped off.  Sort of a "well, nothing we can do about this, time to move on", and their focus went strictly to Wii U and 3DS.  Even with major Nintendo games that came out within the last few years, sales dropped off regardless.  I just get this gut feeling that with the same philosophies being put into their next console that the same thing will happen.