By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can Nintendo hold the Wii By them selves?

^well 3rd parties is definitely very preferible

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

I think that Nintendo is the company which calculate better their profit.
This is why we have so many shortages in the USA but this is why Nintendo is the better gaming company now. (http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117691936534774315-8etEC5kxRNMI1HhBRjv9RlTi_Ms_20070518.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top)

Wii Fit is rapidly beating PS3...

Playing now: Apollo Justice, Majora's Mask

Going to play: Little King Story

"As long as there is a Triforce, there will be a Zelda  As long as there is a prosperous kingdom, there will be an evil that wants destroy it And as long as there is an oppressive force running Hyrule, there will be a boy, in a green tunic, with a silver shield, and a magic blade, to stand against them."-The Legend of Zelda

With the competition out of the price range of the average consumer and Nintendo at near "perfect" form while creating new genres and releasing big sequels, yes they can hold the Wii alone ...

No, without the help of 3rd parties, Nintendo could not keep the Wii as the fastest selling system. However, since the Wii has more 3rd party support than any console, the Wii should do fine. I am not yet sure if the Wii has more 3rd party support than the PS3 and 360 combined, but it looks like that will happen.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

BornFirst. said:
But as i said earlier, wasn't it Nintendo who pioneered the DS's success the first 2 years of its life? look at the DS now. It seems the Wii seems to be following the DS's success, wii sports is the Nintendogs for the Wii, wii fit is the Brain age of the Wii.

There is one huge difference though. The wii has alot more competition, especially the 360 that has alot of 3rd party support and has sold alot of software for them. So the two situations are not equal, but it may turn out the wii will go the way of the ds anyways.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

With the competition out of the price range of the average consumer and Nintendo at near "perfect" form while creating new genres and releasing big sequels, yes they can hold the Wii alone ...

? The low end 360 is 30 bucks more. It does not have a HD, but neither does the Wii.

I find it a failing to compare the Wii to the 360 or the PS3. If the Wii is what you want, it's what you are going to get. If a 360 or PS3 is what you want, even if you got the Wii for free, your needs have not been met (well, your "wants", who needs a gaming system :p)

This is why I don't get the Wii being stacked up against the PS3 and 360. MS and Sony are fighting for the same Market share. Nintendo is in a market by themselves.

FreeTalkLive rocks! said:
No, without the help of 3rd parties, Nintendo could not keep the Wii as the fastest selling system. However, since the Wii has more 3rd party support than any console, the Wii should do fine. I am not yet sure if the Wii has more 3rd party support than the PS3 and 360 combined, but it looks like that will happen.
I think the general concensus is that wii does not have much 3rd party support, or else there would not be a need for this thread. Where did you get this information?

MrMafoo said:
HappySqurriel said:

? The low end 360 is 30 bucks more. It does not have a HD, but neither does the Wii.

I find it a failing to compare the Wii to the 360 or the PS3. If the Wii is what you want, it's what you are going to get. If a 360 or PS3 is what you want, even if you got the Wii for free, your needs have not been met (well, your "wants", who needs a gaming system :p)

This is why I don't get the Wii being stacked up against the PS3 and 360. MS and Sony are fighting for the same Market share. Nintendo is in a market by themselves.

So you really mean 360 and PS3 combined will sell most of what was sold last generation? In that case we are looking at 70 million for each? And more for the wii?

My views on it....

The Wii has reached a new market of gamers, ones who don't keep up to date with new games on the internet, who don't buy gaming magazines and who don't pop into game stores just to have a look around.

They will be the type of gamers who will be happy to play mini-games etc against members of their family again and again and not really worry about other games out there.

The only way to reach these new gamers is, IMHO, to advertise the hell out of the games, during daytime tv, womens magazines etc etc. Persuade people that this new game out will be fun for them, will keep them entertained, be lots better than the games they already have
Gaming companies seem to be living in the past a little and then just moaning when things don't go their way. Be proactive!

MrMafoo said:
HappySqurriel said:

$30 more for a system which is seen as undesireable and "gimped" by the majority of existing gamers, with most "advice" on the internet suggesting you spend the extra money to buy the "Real" system. Beyond that, most people may not comparison shop between the XBox 360 and the Wii, but people do decide they want a new videogame system and discount the XBox 360 because it is out of their price range ...