By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS and 3DSXL - Worth the Purchase?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oep3yFDmDkE

1. Do you own a 3DS/3DSXL?

a. If yes, when did you buy it?

b. How happy are you with your purchase?

c. What inspired you to make a purchase?

2. If not, is there any chance of you buying one in the future?

a. What would need to happen for you to buy one in the future?

b. Would you be more likely to buy a 3DS or XL?

I got a 3DS for last Christmas, so I suppose I didn't really "buy" it, but I'm very happy with it nonetheless :) This thread was inspired by the video linked above and embed below.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Got mine the weekend that Zelda OoT 3D came out. I don't think I could be happier with the device (well, the online could use a bit more refinement). It's insane how much the thing has grown on me --and I loved it when I first got it!

I'm holding off on an XL until it comes in a color I actually like. Plus, I'm still not 100% convinced that I want to go with a bigger system. I haven't seen it in person, yet.

Yes. Flame red 3DS

December 2011

9/10 - Only thing missing is some key japanese localizations. It's not (yet) a problem, cause the support is there and it's big so far.

The DS being my favorite system ever. But what made me buy it was Super Mario 3D Land and Zelda Ocarina of Time, mostly

Yes, buying one ASAP, because after the DSi XL I became spoiled. I don't like having two red 3DSs around, but I prefer the red more than the blue one, so red it is.

1a) Do you own a 3DS/3DSXL?

Yup, a Cosmo Black one. Bought it sometime in Spring 2011.

1b) How happy are you with your purchase?

7/10 so far. Score is expected to rise when Luigi's Mansion, SSB and other titles release. Also when I finally get around to buy Mario Tennis Open.

1c) What inspired you to make a purchase?

The combination of portable near-Gamecube graphics, glasses-free 3D and Ocarina of time remake. Also the exitement of upcoming titles like Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land and various demos.

Around the Network

1. Yes

a. A few days after launch

b. Quite happy. Things were slow at first, but by a year later, it had replaced the DS as my most commonly played game machine.

c. The promise of future software, as opposed to any one game.

Love and tolerate.

Had one for a few months and just sold it on ebay a week ago

It was cosmo black and I got it used for like 110.00 bucks, pretty good deal. Got Mario 3D Land for 25 bucks used, pilot wings for like 7 bucks, and nsmb from the ds for like 15 bucks. Basically about 160 dollars worth of stuff - good deal.

3D Land was waaaaaay to linear for a 3d game and thus lacked much replay value (I got everything, 100 percent completion in like 5 days). nsmb was simply not as fun as nsmbw, and the Pilot wings game seriously sucked.

Plus I realized that handhelds probably are not for me (never got a handheld ever and have been console gaming since the early 90s when I was a kid). The time I used the handheld the most was at home and it wasn't that convenient to bring it other places. Plus the 3d effect seemed rather insignificant. I sold everything all together, all back for 130.00 bucks. So pretty good trade off since I only lost 30 bucks to try the "experience."

Yes just bought a blue 3DS XL!

Like 3 days ago!

Happy so far!

I really needed my Mario fix!

Wasn't interested in the 3DS but I found an awesome deal on the 3DS XL and I couldn't resist!

robzo100 said:
Had one for a few months and just sold it on ebay a week ago

It was cosmo black and I got it used for like 110.00 bucks, pretty good deal. Got Mario 3D Land for 25 bucks used, pilot wings for like 7 bucks, and nsmb from the ds for like 15 bucks. Basically about 160 dollars worth of stuff - good deal.

3D Land was waaaaaay to linear for a 3d game and thus lacked much replay value (I got everything, 100 percent completion in like 5 days). nsmb was simply not as fun as nsmbw, and the Pilot wings game seriously sucked.

Plus I realized that handhelds probably are not for me (never got a handheld ever and have been console gaming since the early 90s when I was a kid). The time I used the handheld the most was at home and it wasn't that convenient to bring it other places. Plus the 3d effect seemed rather insignificant. I sold everything all together, all back for 130.00 bucks. So pretty good trade off since I only lost 30 bucks to try the "experience."

Out of curiousity, would you consider 3D Land more linear than, say, the Galaxy games?

(BTW, Pilotwings really did kind of suck.)

Love and tolerate.

Boutros said:

Yes just bought a blue 3DS XL!

Like 3 days ago!

Happy so far!

I really needed my Mario fix!

Wasn't interested in the 3DS but I found an awesome deal on the 3DS XL and I couldn't resist!

I gotta get on the road but send me your friend code.  I'll add you and I'll send you mine.  There's also a 3DS community thread around here, somewhere.  Add as many people as you can (but be warned that some of those people aren't on the site anymore so try to only add active memembers).

And most importantly, AVOID CYBER NINJA.  He is not human.  No matter how good you are at any game, he is better.  He will damage your ego!