By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do some people get mad when a game goes multiplat? Or they took my games!

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

There are a few types of exclusive games: console exclusive, console-PC exclusive game and timed exclusive game.

The latter two being microsoft's pointless inventions.

A game is either exclusive, that means is being made with a certain hardware and certain capabilities in mind and for a certain audience which dictates how several aspects of the game will take form, or it is not an exclusive.

Around the Network

It differentiates the systems. If every system has the same games it would be retarded. And no matter what anyone says, it always stings to have a game you thought was exclusive *on your preferred system* go to another console as well.

KylieDog said:
oniyide said:

Since this gen is coming to a close, i was pondering something that confused for some time.  It seems some people get really mad when a game that was exclusive or announced as such goes multi.

FF13, people did not like when that was going to 360, some are still mad.

This kind of change, seeing a game when exclusive and again when multplat is a fair reason to complain.

You are aware that those early FFXIII photos were target rendered CG right? The 7950 GPU in the PS3 could never put out graphics like that in real time, ever. There was never a change made. I can't believe that there are people who still think that Square went back and downgraded the graphics of FFXIII for the PS3 when they ported it to the 360.

Vanilles necklace is completely round. That is near if not completely impossible to do even on current GPUs with Tesselation.

oniyide said:
lilbroex said:
Fanboyism 90% of the time. People like to brag about there exclusives as a mark of superiority. It really burns when after all of that bragging and dissing the other systems features and capabilities, an improved version comes out on another system.

I generally don't see that as much from the Nintendo side though. No one really cared when No More Heroes, Resident Evil4 , the Resident Evil Chronicles games or Little King Story got ports to other platforms.

Then wouldnt it make more sense to NOT brag in the first place and just cut the fanyboyism out?

Really? I see it more from Ninty than anyone else, followed by Sony and not that much from MS. Just check the walls for NMH, Nba Jam, HOTD Overkill, Goldeneye, DeadSpace. Course there are some games they dont care about like JD and the ones you mentioned

The only one of those they really complained about was NBA Jam and that was because they were shafted on features for no reason before the game even hit the market. The content issue is the generally the only thing they will complain about.

Anyone who complained about the others was part of a small minority that is not the least bit representative of the average Nintendo fan.

oniyide said:
theprof00 said:
oniyide said:

thats just it though, a 1st party has a different mission than a third party. Its the first party job to wow us and get us to buy there hardware, that is not a 3rd parties responsibility. They need to get there game in as much hands as possible, and they are not going to do that sticking to one console

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, can you rephrase?

You agree that a first party's job is to get people to buy the system, ie, make a game so good that people plunk down 300$ for both the game and the system.

When im talking multiplats im strictly talking 3rd party games. 1st party shouldnt even come into the picture because those belong to whatever manufacturer the console is. But that has nothing to do with 3rd parties, they are not trying to sell a system

After rereading the OP, I see what you're saying. Understand that I was simply responding to the poster who said games shouldn't be multiplat 'period'.

To respond, because I think you have some valid points, the thing about exclusivity is that there are some very legitimate reasons for a 3rd party studio making exclusive games. First, it builds hype better than multiplat announcements. This will in turn sell more units, because you will likely also get the fanboys involved.

Second, it helps create branding, which if you're a developer who makes RPGs, you know to go to the console who is known for an RPG library. This gives the dev a much better feel for the market. (for example, with final fantasy, they've sold what, 2m units on 360? They overestimated how many they would sell because they looked at the overall install base rather than the branding)

Third, the console owner is more likely to help out the dev with some funding and coding help, along with other benefits such as advertising campaign, bundling, etc. More deals are worked out when exclusivity is on the table, than without.

Fourth, exclusive games tend to be able to avoid comparitive console shots, avoiding later "lazy dev" accusations, and port status.

Generally, a good rule to follow is, if you are a third party, you should consider exclusivity if:
a) You are a rather small company, or are a large company releasing a brand new IP
b) Your sales are hard to determine, ie, you don't know the size of the market for your niche game
c) Your game fits into a "branded" category
d) You are new to programming with said console

The pros are that you tend to save money, get more deals with the publisher, establish a foothold in the market, get hype for your game, you also tend to sell more units on the exclusive console than you would on said console going multiplat. We once did a research on it I believe and it came to a 10-20% boost.

The cons are that you don't sell as many overall games, you don't get the coding experience, and it can be slightly riskier (though offset due to deals with publisher)

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Jazz2K said:

When I play a game it's the game I'm playing not the console. The console only allows me to play it. If I have fun it's because the devs are talented not because the console is different from the others. The proof is that there are great games on any console and because of people's fanboyism they refrain from playing some games because it's on the "rival's" console. Also someone that doesn't have money to buy all consoles misses on great games, myself for example I can't justify buying a 300$ PS3 just to pley a few games... 

WHat it seems like you're trying to hard to ignore about my point, is that amazing games are made in order to be competitive. First parties go balls out to bring you the best game, because that company wants you to buy their hardware. Without hardware competition, you would not have the same level of games. Just look at multiplat now. The biggest game is one that virtually has remained unchanged for 5 games (though I would argue it's actually gotten worse).

What you say would be considered offensive to many. Just because a game is is exclusive doesn't make it amazing. This generation proved that 3rd parties had a lot of talent. Games like Mass Effect series are in my book better than anything available on either platform and so are Darksouls, Bayonetta and many more.

Just because COD (if that's what you're talking about) is the biggest 3rd party seller doesn't mean 3rd party games are not as big as "your" exclusives. PC games compete with one another, companies want to sell their games so they do what they can it has nothing to do with being exclusive or not. Halo 4 goes in competition with COD this year, it's not going agains't PS3 still COD sells 360s and so does Halo. But the games are what people want, the console is what allows them to play.

Movie companies go all out to make as much money as they can and videogame companies are the same except that some of them recieve an amount of money to make it exclusive it doesn't mean the devs become superior the day they become exclusive... that weird thinking.

Feeling ripped off when your choice of console (if you're limited in those you can afford) was based on an exclusive that jumped.

Also, wanting a console to have a certain flavor and seeing that diluted in the marketing of other platforms.

Let's not lie people, It's because of people are a fan of a company and not gaming in general.

Jazz2K said:
theprof00 said:
Jazz2K said:

When I play a game it's the game I'm playing not the console. The console only allows me to play it. If I have fun it's because the devs are talented not because the console is different from the others. The proof is that there are great games on any console and because of people's fanboyism they refrain from playing some games because it's on the "rival's" console. Also someone that doesn't have money to buy all consoles misses on great games, myself for example I can't justify buying a 300$ PS3 just to pley a few games... 

WHat it seems like you're trying to hard to ignore about my point, is that amazing games are made in order to be competitive. First parties go balls out to bring you the best game, because that company wants you to buy their hardware. Without hardware competition, you would not have the same level of games. Just look at multiplat now. The biggest game is one that virtually has remained unchanged for 5 games (though I would argue it's actually gotten worse).

What you say would be considered offensive to many. Just because a game is is exclusive doesn't make it amazing. This generation proved that 3rd parties had a lot of talent. Games like Mass Effect series are in my book better than anything available on either platform and so are Darksouls, Bayonetta and many more.

Just because COD (if that's what you're talking about) is the biggest 3rd party seller doesn't mean 3rd party games are not as big as "your" exclusives. PC games compete with one another, companies want to sell their games so they do what they can it has nothing to do with being exclusive or not. Halo 4 goes in competition with COD this year, it's not going agains't PS3 still COD sells 360s and so does Halo. But the games are what people want, the console is what allows them to play.

Movie companies go all out to make as much money as they can and videogame companies are the same except that some of them recieve an amount of money to make it exclusive it doesn't mean the devs become superior the day they become exclusive... that weird thinking.

You're missing the point once again, and I have no idea what you're talking about regarding 'offensive'.

You talk about some ideal that all consoles should play the same games, but you really haven't fleshed that idea out. What you end up with is a hardware war rather than a software one, and then you have every company with some extra cash making one as well. I can't even begin to explain to you how bad that idea is, because I'm not sure you're interested in listening.

Your comparison to movies is laughable, and the only weird thinking is your own. You obviously are extremely misinformed about exclusivity. Look it up, there are many devs who attest to exclusivity and explain reason for reason why exclusivity is a good idea. Examples include getting optimization, funding, help programming, expert advice, liberal game engine use, etc etc. So yes, your game does stand to improve quality the minute you go exclusive because the console publisher is willing to lend its system designers to assist you with the code, workarounds, and optimization.

I'm sure you're used tgo arguing the merits of exclusivity among whatever group it is that you discuss things with, and the group think has you thinking that you all siply know better than the industry, but take it from someone who has done the research and done the arguing, exclusivity serves a very good purpose.

TomaTito said:
oniyide said:

Dead Space extraction, for a game that alot of people hated, they were even more mad when it went to PS3, strange

Are you talking about EA's "mature" test that failed stopping further developments, which was then was given for free on the PS3 when you bought the real sequel? I can see a few people getting mad due to the test issue surrounding this game.

ugh, it wasnt "free" it wasnt like I could go on PSN and just DL it. YOu still had to buy DS2. Its no different than exclusive content that has been going around this gen, and if you wanted just that game its still 15 on PSN