By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Google should remove emulators

I was wondering if anyone else noticed that Google doesn't give a shit that they have tons of free and paid emulators on their market.  This is obviously illegal and Google is making money off of the paid emulators.  Hell, there was even a SNES emulator in the top 50 paid game apps when I checked earlier today.  Does anyone else care or think that Google should be sued over this?  I believe Nintendo and Sony should team up and sue Google for providing illegal material to their consumers while collecting money off the paid emulator apps (not really wanting a money outcome but to have them taken off their market).

Edit- For those stating that emulators are legal.  Yes, they are but downloading the illegal ROMs and playing them on the emulator isn't.  What do you think most people do with emulators?  Do you think they just play custom made games and not the classics?  I highly doubt most emulator users actually use their emulators legally.   Make fun of my thinking all you want but I believe emulators shouldn't be allowed on a legal market when most of it is used for illegal purposes.  Anyways, we can at least turn this thread into a discussion about emulators and inform people such as myself that have a limited knowledge on this topic. 

Around the Network
BasilZero said:

Arent some of those apps user generated? There's fake Pokemon Yellow games and other stuff such as that. User discretion is advised..

They are all user generated apps but I believe they should just sue Google for allowing them on their market in the first place.  Just like Apple should be sued for allowing a fake Pokemon on their market.

Yes. The world needs more lawsuits

Oddly i agree. If no-one were making any money off this stuff it would be one thing, but Apple and Google are tacitly promoting this stuff, and allowing people to make money off it.

I imagine the lawsuits would be a bonanza for pretty much every major publisher.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Emulators are not illegal... only the roms and those emulators do not provide roms.

Around the Network

The lawsuit would probably cost Nintendo more than the settlement would be worth after Google's army of high priced lawyers dragged the case out for a couple of years.

BasilZero said:
superchunk said:
Emulators are not illegal... only the roms and those emulators do not provide roms.

The existence of emulators arent illegal but dont you think the distribution of emulators and making money off of the distribution is?

Quite a few people have backups of their actual games. Emulators are the only way to play those.

Personally, idc. They are only for consoles many generations dead and frankly, its robbery what console manufacturers sell those old games for digitally.

BasilZero said:
superchunk said:

The existence of emulators arent illegal but dont you think the distribution of emulators and making money off of the distribution is?

Nintendo and Sega don't go after the countless HW emulating consoles sold in the past few years.  So either it's not illegal or they just don't give a shit.

Paid emulators are also legal. The console maker has numerous patents, but that won't cover something else that does the same thing (which the emulator is, seeing as it has no hardware not in the original phone). The NES is now even old enough that the patents would be expired, meaning anyone can copy it (even the original system) if they wanted to.

3DS - 2277 - 6636 - 6675 WiiU - Vectorferret
(Write on wall or PM if adding)

Meh, copyrite laws shouldn't be lasting over 25 years anyways (True anything snes and up should be off the store).