By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - High school teacher gets 5 years after group-sex with students

Tagged games:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/08/18/former-texas-high-school-teacher-gets-5-years-after-group-sex-with-students/

A former Texas high school teacher was convicted Friday after having sex with five 18-year-old students at her home.

It took the jury less than an hour to conclude that Brittni Nicole Colleps, 28, of Arlington, was guilty of 16 counts of having an inappropriate relationship between a student and teacher. The second-degree felony is punishable by two to 20 years in prison per count.

The teacher had sex with the students at her home over two months in 2011, authorities said.

Colleps is married and has three children. She turned herself in after a cellphone video of one encounter that involved multiple students emerged. That video was shown a trial.

Three former students who testified Thursday said that they did not consider themselves victims and did not want to see their former English teacher prosecuted. The three were football and track athletes.

Arlington police Detective Jason Houston testified that charges were filed because "18 or not, it's a crime" for a teacher to have sex with her students.

It seems strange to me that consenting adults having sex would result in a prison sentence for the teacher just because they are her students. I mean, I know it's against the law to have sex with a student if you are a teacher, but it just seems odd... I mean, if anything, the students were taking advantage of her, not the other way around. Darn bureaucrats!

What do you guys think?

Around the Network

All I can say on the matter is that it is difficult to maintain a professional relationship with attractive people and when you are in a position of power/authority, temptation is extremely hard to resist.

I can definitely understand those laws. The students' grades would probably be affected by bias in many of these cases. And even if not, the educational parts will be affected one way or another.

Whats the problem if they were all 18?

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

I can definitely understand those laws. The students' grades would probably be affected by bias in many of these cases. And even if not, the educational parts will be affected one way or another.

yeah but the punishment is a little too brutal in my opinion.

Around the Network
shakarak said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

*reads the thread title again*

Wow, yeah. That's ridiculous.

I wish I had a teacher like that!

They probably thought it was legal since they were all 18

Indeed, being 18, i don't think the degree of punishment shouldn't be this severe, but then this is an odd case. It's one of those things were even though the act itself my be okay, the precedent of allowing the act to occur could be slippery, so it can't just be let go...

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
shakarak said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

*reads the thread topic again*

Wow, yeah. That's ridiculous.

If she's convincted on all five counts she's lookinat a minimum of 10 years maximum of life. But somehow she got 5  hm.