By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Let's talk about the expendables 2. *Spoilers* *Spoilers*

I want this thread to be for people that have already seen the movie. I thought it was a pretty decent movie. I personally did'nt think it was as good as the first one. It was refreshing seeing jean-claude van damme on the big screen again. He played a pretty good villian,but he did'nt get enough screen time and the fight between him and stallone,was good,but way 2 short. It was also a letdown,that Jet li was only in the first part of the movie. The chuck norris part,was pretty enertaining,but he was only in an extended cameo type roll. It was probably the funniest part of the movie. Most of the humor falls flat. I loved the fact that they made fun of dolph throught the movie,because i've never been a big fan of his. I thought crews had a few decent parts,but his character just felt like back groud character for the most part. courture get's shafted the most,as far as screen time goes. It's let he's just there for the ride. Scot atkins and jason statham have a pretty good fight at the end of the movie. Chris hemsworth plays a young sniper that joins the team,that get's killed bye van damme,which set's off the whole motivation for the team,to get revenge. arnold and bruce have slightly bigger roles,that actually do important things in the movie. Overall,I thought it was a pretty decent action flick,with some of the humor falling flat and it slightly drags in the second act. So a 3/5. So,what does everyone else think???

Around the Network

I guess,I'm the only one that saw it. lol

spurgeonryan said:
You are, but I have seen it in Spirit. They worked their butts off getting Van Damme in this film and then they go and make his screen time really short? We go to see these movies for the older stars. Not to see Crews who is still kind of big and has never really been an action star as far as I can tell. Couture and the other fighters are not action stars and I could care less about. Statham is in every action movie there is. So does anyone really want to see more of him? Norris looked good in this movie. He has aged well is what I am saying. Why not put him in more. Arnold has not aged well, and we see willis in a big movie three times a year so I could live without him as well. Lungren, even though I am not too fond of him, could have been on longer from what I hear. Stallone should have been in the whole movie quite a bit. Van damme is great as a bad guy. Has played a bad guy a lot during his career.

My biggest complaint is that Van damme did not get the screen time he deserves. out of all the Straight to DVD action stars his movies are of the highest quality out of Seagal and Snipes, and whoever else. He showed the world that just because he is out of the big cinema action movies he will still work as hard as he can to entertain you.

Fuck you Stallone for doing this to Van Damme! They know that people want him, but then give him small parts. Like Dung foo Panda 2. They sure did throw Van Damme's name out there in all of the trailers, but when the film came he only had maybe 3 lines.

that was only his third time playing a bad guy,as I've seen just about all of his movies,even the terrible black eagle. 

I personally liked it much better than the original. It was much funnier, there was less of the silly gratuitous swearing, and Schwarzenegger was absolutely badass. He has always been my favorite action star, and I am extremely glad he is getting back into movies.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
spurgeonryan said:
Black eagle. No retreat no surrender, expendables 2, replicant, until death, grumpy brother in double impact, J.C.v.D, wake of death, etc

I am the resident van damme expert here. Nice try. :P

I would'nt count double impact are the replicant. until death,he turned into a good guy. I don't recall him playing a bad guy,in wake of death. 

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Sleaze bag in part of maximum riskwhere he played a twin again (you can never havetoo much van damme in a movie), the quest he ran a gang of theives, he was not too nice in monaco forever, I. Think in kung fu panda 2 he double crossed Po at some point as well.

okay,let me re-word what I was trying to say. I was talking about him being the main villian,in the movie,not being a bad,shady character are a bad character,that redeems himself. I was talking about being the main bad guy throughout the whole movie. 

I really enjoyed it, I went to see it for the action and theres a lot of action I also liked the bits of humor. The story was one of the most predicable storys ever in a movie

Overall, a good movie, but its not much better than the first, which I also enjoyed.

The opening 15 minutes is stunning, it really set the bar high but the action in the movie never reaches the heights of the opening sequence.

The action was bigger, but much less violent than EX1. The humor was better, especially from Dolph, despite the movies darker tone.

Its short running time really hurt the movie though. The last fight should have been much more epic. A good 10 minutes longer including the Sly VD fight scene.