Will you be upgrading?

Yes 9 31.03%

No 13 44.83%

Why? 7 24.14%

Total:29
_crazy_man_ said:
JEMC said:
_crazy_man_ said:

For a guy that knows nada about these kind of things.....

What would be a better choice?

A GTX 580 or a GTX 660Ti

I plan for it to last 2-3 years.

Given that they are priced somewhat similar (well, at least here in Spain where they are between 20-30 €), I'll go with the 660Ti. It's faster, uses less power and almost everyone is selling them with a factory overclock and a 3rd party cooler that should make it quieter and cooler.

Just wait a few weeks until the price gets more stable across stores and manufacturers and, hopefully, a little lower.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input.

Where would you suggest buying this beauty?

I usually buy my computer parts from Microcenter but they do not seem to be carrying 660Ti's atm.  Any suggestions?  Cause from what I've seen so far there has been no mention of 3rd party coolers or overcloaked from the sales on the interwebs.

I'm afraid that I can't help you deciding where to buy it as I'm from another country.

Regarding overcloacked cards and 3rd party coolers, well, the easiest thing is to look for reviews on the web. They usually mention if the card is a vanilla(regular) or overcloacked card and, as they usually test power consuption, heat and some even the noise, you will be able to know more about the several cards out there.

In the OP there's a link to Endgadget where you'll find links to several reviews.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
_crazy_man_ said:
JEMC said:
_crazy_man_ said:

For a guy that knows nada about these kind of things.....

What would be a better choice?

A GTX 580 or a GTX 660Ti

I plan for it to last 2-3 years.

Given that they are priced somewhat similar (well, at least here in Spain where they are between 20-30 €), I'll go with the 660Ti. It's faster, uses less power and almost everyone is selling them with a factory overclock and a 3rd party cooler that should make it quieter and cooler.

Just wait a few weeks until the price gets more stable across stores and manufacturers and, hopefully, a little lower.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input.

Where would you suggest buying this beauty?

I usually buy my computer parts from Microcenter but they do not seem to be carrying 660Ti's atm.  Any suggestions?  Cause from what I've seen so far there has been no mention of 3rd party coolers or overcloaked from the sales on the interwebs.

I'm afraid that I can't help you deciding where to buy it as I'm from another country.

Regarding overcloacked cards and 3rd party coolers, well, the easiest thing is to look for reviews on the web. They usually mention if the card is a vanilla(regular) or overcloacked card and, as they usually test power consuption, heat and some even the noise, you will be able to know more about the several cards out there.

In the OP there's a link to Endgadget where you'll find links to several reviews.

I found one I like.

But should I get a warranty?

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

_crazy_man_ said:

I found one I like.

It's up to you, if you feel you need it to put any fears to rest then do it.

How much is it?

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
_crazy_man_ said:

I found one I like.

How much is it?

It was $33 for 1 year and $60 if 2 years.

Tho I decided to buy from PNY which has a 5 year warranty with no cost as long as you register with em.

Ended up being $312 with ground mail.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

_crazy_man_ said:
JEMC said:
_crazy_man_ said:

I found one I like.

How much is it?

It was $33 for 1 year and $60 if 2 years.

Tho I decided to buy from PNY which has a 5 year warranty with no cost as long as you register with em.

Ended up being $312 with ground mail.

Not a bad deal. They cost about the same here, 310-330 €. And that 5 year warranty is a very good selling point.

And lol for those $60 for 2 years extra warranty. I'd take the regular 2-3 years and get a 670 instead!

I hope you enjoy your new card.

Around the Network

I bought an AMD 7870 a few months ago for a similar price and it runs slightly faster than the 660Ti according to TomsHardware. A good card but a little bit too late unless you like NVidia specific features imo.

7870s are already appearing cheaper than this card anyway. I think AMD are slightly ahead in this price and performance bracket.

I only got my computer in June and it has the Nvidia 550 Ti graphics card and that's plenty for me, when i only really play Call of duty World at war and Minecraft. I might upgrade for Grand theft auto V though, if it's necessary. But for my now, my computer can run all games out and probably all those coming out in the next year or so, without any problems

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

How does this think stack up against the 560 Ti.

lilbroex said:

Anandtech has a very handy tool to compare different products. Here's the comparison between the 2 cards:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547?vs=647

JEMC said:
lilbroex said:

Anandtech has a very handy tool to compare different products. Here's the comparison between the 2 cards:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547?vs=647

seems this is only marginally better in DX11 games for nearly 3 times the cost. Everything else, the 560 Ti seems to be better at. I shall certainly be passing this one up.