By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Former Vigil dev calls Wii U a "$400 360 seven years late" - UPDATED!!

Is he right?

Yes 135 41.54%

No 190 58.46%

Total:325

for some reason he was let go...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network

just updated OP. Vigil gives some insight on why he was let go!

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

lilbroex said:
theARTIST0017 said:

Former Vigil dev sounds off on Wii U, says it’s “a $400 Xbox 360 seven years late”

August 15th, 2012 Posted in General NintendoNewsPosted by ValayWiiWii U 

Former Vigil staffer and Darksiders II developer Xander Davis was asked for his thoughts on Wii U in an interview with Not Enough Shaders.

Davis wasn’t actually involved with the port prior to his departure. However, he’s apparently heard from “people who have actually played a Wii U as recently as a month ago” that “the games pretty much suck and the tablet is pretty much a complete gimmick.” He also suggested that the console is “a $400 Xbox 360 seven years late.”

Below are Davis’ thoughts in full:

“I’ve not worked on any Wii U version of anything (luckily). But, y’know, I very early on raised my major concern about this. Anybody buying any Wii U game that’s a port is probably buying it almost exclusively and specifically for how it can play differently through the Wii U’s alleged innovated UI. I’m already a known skeptic on whether the interface paradigm is at all anything but idiotic. But if you’re gonna do it? Fine. Then, you HAVE to do it right. You HAVE to innovate on the UI. You HAVE to enhance game mechanics and gameplay in a MATERIAL way that justifies all the hassle and a $400 Xbox 360 seven years late.

“I can’t comment on THQ / Vigil specifically. However, just in general, I doubt any studio or publisher is truly giving it the kind of proper UI design and thinking it deserves. Hell, apparently this is a huge leap for regular triple-A console releases. From what I’m hearing from people who have actually played a Wii U as recently as a month ago, the games pretty much suck and the tablet is pretty much a complete gimmick. Still tethered, not wireless. Maybe publishers can pull off something clever. But won’t it just kind of be clever for a little bit, then not really worth your $60 dollars and just annoying afterwards? Kinect comes to mind. PlayStation Move comes to mind. Mother******* Wii comes to mind. But, sure, we’ll have to wait and see… I can’t comment on specifics. I can only speculate, but as a UI Designer applying experienced critical thinking to game mechanics UI and the Wii U tablet, none of it makes sense to me to truly add value to gamers, even if you try.”

Link - http://nintendoeverything.com/96435/former-vigil-dev-sounds-off-on-wii-u-says-its-a-400-xbox-360-seven-years-late/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone's been sipping on hatorade. Honestly, the Wii U 360 comparisons don't make sense to me. Even if the console itself resembles the 360 and even if you bring up the Wii U Pro Controller, the main focus is still the Gamepad which is nothing like the 360. So it amazes me that we can have developers be this ignorant and to be honest I don't know why he hates the Wii U so bad! Is it because others told him that it sucked? Why? Your thoughts and opinions please.

You should update with info from this version. It has a response form Vigil Games.

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/ex-darksiders-2-developer-bashes-wii-u-makes-a-fool-out-of-himself/

thanks for the heads up!!

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

kitler53 said:
the guy's quote is far less of a troll than the thread title would suggest.

what i got out of this is that customers will be compelled to buy a wii U because of the tablet and as such will expect games that utilize that tablet in a meaningful way. currently, the games being developed (announced) hardly use it. moving the equipment screen or having a touch screen button in place of a physical button doesn't really count because it doesn't actually innovate the gameplay.

he's not saying the gamepad can't be innovative, he's saying publishers aren't being innovative. from what i've seen announced so far i can hardly disagree. nintendoland seems to be the only game truly designed for the wii U.

clever. your post makes my OP seem attacking but whether or not he thinks games should take advantage of the gamepad or not does not excuse nor justify his words! He DID call the Wii U a late 360 which doesn't make sense anyway you look at it. All I'm saying is, yes he's entitled to his own opinion but he did troll on Nintendo a bit.

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

read “I’ve not worked on any Wii U version of anything (luckily)." and didn't read on. this is just ridiculous.

Around the Network

That is the part of the story people are going with? Really? An off hand negative comment about the Wii U...

Really it is sad how the industry works some times, but sadly not including people in the credits who aren't at the studio at ship date (usually the get a special thanks) is standard in the industry. Studios just don't keep adding people to credits as they work on them for the most part and it's usually just a list of people on the team at the end.

As for overhauling the entire UI in a month I guess that would explain the rather poor state of the UI, which feels unfinished to say the least. The long hours from what I have heard is pretty typical for crunch time on AAA games. At least he wasn't working on L.A. Noire which was on constant crunch for 3 years and 2 3rds of the people who worked on it went uncredited.

As sad as all this is, this guy seems to be disillusioned with AAA development in general, but also seems to be using the soapbox to promote his indie studio.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

It will be hilariously ironic if he sings the praises of smart glass. Now let us stop giving him attention.

So it's settled. He got hired for under 90 days; got fired for incompetence, and is now bashing Wii U because they wouldn't let him touch the Wii U version of the game he worked poorly on.

It sounds like he's in line with a typical Nintendo basher; a big unemployed loser.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

a 7 years late 360 with Mario games though!

mmmmm dont you just love the taste of sour grapes.