By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Former Vigil dev calls Wii U a "$400 360 seven years late" - UPDATED!!

Is he right?

Yes 135 41.54%

No 190 58.46%

Total:325
Galaki said:
kitler53 said:
 nintendoland seems to be the only game truly designed for the wii U.

The WiiU is designed for Nintendoland. That's how Nintendo works.

Software ideas dictating hardware design... yes exactly

However, not just limited to Nintendo Land which was a later idea from Animal Crossing guy that got fast tracked up to poise as the launch title because they didn't have anything as compelling as Wii Sports for the everyone crowd at launch. They still dont have a Wii Sports appeal title for Wii U, but at least they are also launching with Mario and much better 3rd party support than any past Nintendo console launch.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:

People, read the original article! It's a very frank and open-hearted and extremely interesting interview about the gaming industry from a developer's point of view. And it gives his statements about the Wii U a context that makes sense (spelled bitterness and frustration, which we're all guilty of from time to time).

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/08/15/darksiders-2-interview-with-xander-davis-about-thq-and-vigil/

Yeah, i can understand bitterness if anyone can. It's not right, but it's understandable.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

happydolphin said:
kitler53 said:
the guy's quote is far less of a troll than the thread title would suggest.

what i got out of this is that customers will be compelled to buy a wii U because of the tablet and as such will expect games that utilize that tablet in a meaningful way. currently, the games being developed (announced) hardly use it. moving the equipment screen or having a touch screen button in place of a physical button doesn't really count because it doesn't actually innovate the gameplay.

he's not saying the gamepad can't be innovative, he's saying publishers aren't being innovative. from what i've seen announced so far i can hardly disagree. nintendoland seems to be the only game truly designed for the wii U.

So that's what he meant then when he said WiiU games "sucked". He means the devs did a poor job at using the tech. Hmm, I feel dumb not to have understood that from the start.

At the same time though, it really isn't a 400$ xbox that's late. Maybe the games we see for it right now give that impression, but we know it's much more capable. Also, there are many people who didn't play xbox360/PS3 games (Oni and I rounded that out to 20m Wiis exclusive to households), so the improved graphics and Nintendo brand name are enough to warrant a sale.

I see where he's coming from but on that I still disagree, the WiiU's gamepad doesn't make it or break it, the console in and of itself has a value: better graphics and a promising software ecosystem.

@full interview. I agree, everyone should read it it's very interesting.

i can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not but that is what i got out of it from reading the full context.  and sure there is value in the system without or without the gamepad - there are probably at least 15M people that would want one even if the only game that ever releases is NSMB wii U.  The power is obviously better too but much like xbox to ps2 or whatever ... if publishers make their games to a target specification.  if they treat wii U as a ps360 system as far as multiplats are conserned we'll not see that power flexed often.  it will be interesting to see when MSony announce their next gen consoles how much difference their is/isn't because right now that probably the single biggest influence still unknown for how publishers treat the wii U.

My question ... if he does not believe in the tablet interface, why does his new company specialize in iOS and Android?

Another question ... if he does not like the lack of security in these jobs, why is his new company seeking free-lancers (which have even less security)?

Folks, the guy has no direct knowledge, no experience on the console, and does not like the concept of a tablet interface for consoles. Yet some people will want to take his description as "gospel" -- without taking into account the full interview or its context.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

kitler53 said:

i can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not but that is what i got out of it from reading the full context.  and sure there is value in the system without or without the gamepad - there are probably at least 15M people that would want one even if the only game that ever releases is NSMB wii U.  The power is obviously better too but much like xbox to ps2 or whatever ... if publishers make their games to a target specification.  if they treat wii U as a ps360 system as far as multiplats are conserned we'll not see that power flexed often.  it will be interesting to see when MSony announce their next gen consoles how much difference their is/isn't because right now that probably the single biggest influence still unknown for how publishers treat the wii U.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

Also, I'm reading the other posters' comments and they remind me that certain games are taking advantage of the WiiU, mostly Ubi's games.

When it comes to the power thing, I think it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Nintendo is releasing a new console, they're essentially catching up in terms of graphics it's no secret. But had they not upgraded, people would say "they're in their old ways", but when they do upgrade, it's "too little too late". So while I understand that some people may see the WiiU as too little too late, for certain consumers (and there is a market) it's more than they've ever had. So, I don't see why he puts so much emphasis on that, especially when Nintendo did up the graphics over last gen, so saying it's a 400$ xbox360 is a gross understatement. It makes him sound like Pachter.

Then again, this is part of a bigger and deeper interview, so maybe we shouldn't attribute so much importance to his opinions on the WiiU after all. Maybe he's just ill-informed. I doubt the WiiU is on the top of his consideration list right now, and he probably is mostly unaware of its state of affairs tbh.

Around the Network

I won't say that he's right, but rather that he's possibly right.

My take is that, when you're talking about multiplatform titles, early games are going to really try to use the Wii U tablet interface, but then that's going to kind of fade away. Ports will be ports, with most games not being substantially different on the Wii U than on the PS3 or 360. In that regard, it really does become just another part of the current generation. The Wii U might be more powerful, but games designed to play on all three platforms aren't going to take advantage of that.

The difference, of course, will be with Nintendo designed titles and third-party exclusives. If you're buying a Wii U for those, then you will likely be very happy. If you're buying it to play multiplatform games, however, and you already own a PS3 or an Xbox, then it's possible that the Wii U isn't a very worthwhile investment.

It's going to depend on the developers. As with any other system, the games are the important part.

I probably won't buy one. That's not a knock on the Wii U, it's just that I'm not personally a fan of Mario games or the platformer genre, and I'm not convinced that the tablet interface is going to add enough gameplay value to cross-platform games that it would justify buying another system -right now-. If that turns out to not be the case, then awesome, but that's simply how I'm thinking presently.

Now that I read the whole article, I can say I feel very bad for the guy. I always had a tought in the back of my mind when those lay-off became a bloody marathon left and right and what he said confirmed my theory.
I wish the best of luck for you, ol' chap!
But still, you don't have to bad-mouth about companies who are not even remotely tied in the lay-offs...

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

So he's really angry. Hates the lack of innovation, but only wants the "core" setup, which lacks of any innovation in human interaction?

Me thinks he just doesn't like change as it makes his UI job a lot harder. Obviously his points on WiiU specifically can be thrown out the window as he has had no experience with it or games being developed for it.

Mr Khan said:
Slimebeast said:

People, read the original article! It's a very frank and open-hearted and extremely interesting interview about the gaming industry from a developer's point of view. And it gives his statements about the Wii U a context that makes sense (spelled bitterness and frustration, which we're all guilty of from time to time).

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2012/08/15/darksiders-2-interview-with-xander-davis-about-thq-and-vigil/

Yeah, i can understand bitterness if anyone can. It's not right, but it's understandable.

I appreciate how you reveal your bitterness in an open-hearted way in posts about your career, social situation and such stuff. It's really cool.

This story is evolving. And the source is not looking good.

http://www.destructoid.com/darksiders-devs-speak-out-on-not-being-credited-update--233138.phtml#ext

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV