By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Billionaires trying to buy our elections through the supreme court ruling, "corporations are people."

Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

I'd be more concerned with what a candidate's donors demand of him post-election than how those funds influence the actual election.  Cabinate seats, tax subsidies, and so on.  Of course, this problem is compounded post-election through lobbying.

And the amount of time candidate's waste pandering to donors in general is also an issue.  This article discusses that somewhat:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/08/27/120827fa_fact_mayer?currentPage=all&mobify=0

Who cares what a candidates donors demand of him post election?  Considering the money doesn't help him win the election why would he listen?

You've got the entire cauation wrong here.

Afterall, to use an example, pro life groups aren't donating money to Barack Obama.  Pro life groups could gift Barak Obama 2 trillion dollars.  It's not going to change Barak Obaman's stance on abortion.  He's going to say thanks!  when the election then spend 4 years making their lives hell.

Pro choice groups are donating money to Mitt Romney and Romney's super Pac because Mitt Romney ALREADY holds those values.

That congressmen may vote a way congruent to there donors intrests isn't a sign that they are influenced by their donors, it's a sign that their donors voted for them because they believe in the same policy!

As for the article, I don't see the problem. First off, again it's baesd off of the premise that money actually matters for Obama. (which it doesn't)

and secondly Obama could of spent no time at all with most of those people, and the truth is they still  likely would of gave him money, so long as his policy interests are clear and in unison with them.

What this seems like is an article complaining that if you want people who disagree with you on everything to give you money you have to spend 5 minutes making them feel appreciated...

But this raises the question of why candidates are so often doing things that are at odds with what is best for their constituents and which only provide a benefit to themselves via the money recieved by lobbying groups.

Corn subsidies, military spending, privatized prison system, war on drugs, and so on.   SOPA would be on that list if the technology industry hadn't helped raised awareness to the bill via WIkipedia, Google, etc.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

But this raises the question of why candidates are so often doing things that are at odds with what is best for their constituents and which only provide a benefit to themselves via the money recieved by lobbying groups.

Corn subsidies, military spending, privatized prison system, war on drugs, and so on.   SOPA would be on that list if the technology industry hadn't helped raised awareness to the bill via WIkipedia, Google, etc.

A) Because those are what's bset for their constitutents.

1) The politcians who are pro corn subisdies, 75% of the time are in districts that happen to grow corn.

For example, Obama is a HUGE guy for corn subsidies, because he's from a corn producing state.  This helps their individual distrcits and states.

The other 25% come from areas where citizens extremly worried about global warming.

Corn subsidies being used for Ethanol production

2) Military spending is supported by  a bunch of people because they have military bases, factories in their communtities, or have the ability to gain those things.  Additionally, a LOT of Americans support increased military funding.  Most tend to most of the time.

3) Privatised Prison systems.   It's cheaper the public prison systems and the only people it might negativly effect are prisoners, people are for this because it means their taxes stay lower.

4)  War on drugs.  Most people are for the war on drugs.  Public opinion has shifted notably in like... the last 3-4 years but not nearly as much as you'dt think.

5) SOPA.  See how many pro-sopa people there were on THESE boards, where there shouldn't be any, or people who still insist piracy = stealing etc.  Again, most people are for anti-piracy methods, and relativly strict ones.     Ironically, if anything the STOP of SOPA would of been a better arguement. since it was an actual case where politicians changed their minds rapidly.   Though they really didn't, they just dropped this unpopular bill, and are waiting for another queit bill to pass.

B) Lobbying groups don't give senators and congressmen money.  Lobbiests are paid sweet talkers with inside connections that try and explain to congressmen why their ideas are good ones. 

For example, say I was Barak Obama's tennis partner.  Standard Oil might pay me to talk to Obama about why their new oil subsidy is great, and he'll talk to me because i'm his tennis buddy.

Might that change his opinion?  Sure, still it's not through any nefarious means, unless you consider paying someone to make your point for you nefarius.  The worst parts outside actual bribery which is illegal, is someimtes they'll make their points at expensive events.

Which, I don't see being a big factor for most congressmen considering what they are paid anyway.

omg they're gonna spend 1 billion dollarz attacking obama aiieeeee

How many billions would they have to spend to get you to vote for Romney? Would I be correct in guessing that no amount of ads would get you to do that? So, who gives a fuck?

Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

A) Because those are what's bset for their constitutents.

1) The politcians who are pro corn subisdies, 75% of the time are in districts that happen to grow corn.

For example, Obama is a HUGE guy for corn subsidies, because he's from a corn producing state.  This helps their individual distrcits and states.

The other 25% come from areas where citizens extremly worried about global warming.

Corn subsidies being used for Ethanol production

2) Military spending is supported by  a bunch of people because they have military bases, factories in their communtities, or have the ability to gain those things.  Additionally, a LOT of Americans support increased military funding.  Most tend to most of the time.

3) Privatised Prison systems.   It's cheaper the public prison systems and the only people it might negativly effect are prisoners, people are for this because it means their taxes stay lower.

4)  War on drugs.  Most people are for the war on drugs.  Public opinion has shifted notably in like... the last 3-4 years but not nearly as much as you'dt think.

5) SOPA.  See how many pro-sopa people there were on THESE boards, where there shouldn't be any, or people who still insist piracy = stealing etc.  Again, most people are for anti-piracy methods, and relativly strict ones.     Ironically, if anything the STOP of SOPA would of been a better arguement. since it was an actual case where politicians changed their minds rapidly.   Though they really didn't, they just dropped this unpopular bill, and are waiting for another queit bill to pass.

B) Lobbying groups don't give senators and congressmen money.  Lobbiests are paid sweet talkers with inside connections that try and explain to congressmen why their ideas are good ones. 

For example, say I was Barak Obama's tennis partner.  Standard Oil might pay me to talk to Obama about why their new oil subsidy is great, and he'll talk to me because i'm his tennis buddy.

Might that change his opinion?  Sure, still it's not through any nefarious means, unless you consider paying someone to make your point for you nefarius.  The worst parts outside actual bribery which is illegal, is someimtes they'll make their points at expensive events.

Which, I don't see being a big factor for most congressmen considering what they are paid anyway.

I'm inclined to think the bolded is a case of politicians influencing their constituents, by using their political soap boxes to espouse the threats of other nations and whatnot.  If people were told "look, we pay more on defense than the next 20 countries combined, and we're in a great position, so maybe we could spend some of this money elsewhere" they might have a different opinion.  But they're not.  Instead we get unneccessary sabre rattling about Iran.   And the whole Iraq debacle.

Same for healthcare, where people like Rick Santorum tell their voting base that the Dutch euthenize old people left and right, and they all gasp in disbelief.   The politicians, of course, have reason to support such ideas given influence from the industries they end up protecting with such statements, or so I'd assume.  I doubt they tell their constituents such BS because that's what they want to hear or something.

I mean, the disdain for things like a heavily regulated healthcare industry ala Japan or a single-payer system like Taiwan don't happen because these other systems legitimately aren't working as well as ours, but rather because people are constantly fed misinformation about such systems.  Like Paul Ryan's recent quote about government healthcare.  Or the e-mail my dad forwarded me claiming Japan has no welfare system whatsoever, and further claiming their lack of such a system directly lead to their swift recovery post-WWII.

I'd also argue that the decades long propaganda campaign against drugs via the War on Drugs has significantly influenced voters to support the continuation of the war.

And then there was that story a couple of months back about the reporter that sat in on a meeting beetween a congressmen and a lobbyist, and the congressmen straight up said "how big of a check will you cut me if I vote for this?"  Googling generic terms like lobbyist and congressmen isn't turning any articles, however.

I can't help but feel that in many situations, a corporation influences a congressmen, who in turn influences their own constituents, and in others a corporation directly influences the voter.  And in many more the congressmen's simply voting on an issue their constituents probably won't care about or ever even hear about, and thus they know it won't really effect their chances for re-election either way, but it still negatively influences the voter.

Given your post in the Russian thread, I guess you'd feel that congressmen seemingly not voting in our best interests all goes back to our FPTP system?  That, while a lot of people may not support increased military spending, most people do, and that manifests itself in both major parties?  

I suppose that could partially cause the problems I'm talking about.  The major parties adopting a platform probably creates a sort of feedback loop where that then influences parts of the population to support such positions when they otherwise might not, simply because they are unaware of decent alternatives.  Thus if, for example, the Green party gained some significant presence on the national stage, we'd also see an increase in support for something like single-payer healthcare as Green politicians talk about its benefits in speeches, etc.

So following this line of thinking, in the end it would all boil down to what politicians are runnning, and the current limit on which politicians do well has to do with FPTP instead of corporate influence.

badgenome said:
omg they're gonna spend 1 billion dollarz attacking obama aiieeeee

How many billions would they have to spend to get you to vote for Romney? Would I be correct in guessing that no amount of ads would get you to do that? So, who gives a fuck?

Most of the few people that actually do vote in the USA aren't usually the brightest and can be easily swayed (or they just party line vote).  If we actually had decent politicians and a system that actually works then I believe you would see a voter turn out of more than 60% of the total voting population.  USA has pretty much zero leaders and we are like a chicken with it's head cut off.  In my view elections are pointless in USA.  Political ads just like prescription drug ads should be banned.  The only thing there should be is debates.

Around the Network

Wooh, I have random pictures to post too!

:D

sethnintendo said:

Most of the few people that actually do vote in the USA aren't usually the brightest and can be easily swayed (or they just party line vote).  If we actually had decent politicians and a system that actually works then I believe you would see a voter turn out of more than 60% of the total population.  USA has pretty much zero leaders and we are like a chicken with it's head cut off.  In my view elections are pointless in USA.  Political ads just like prescription drug ads should be banned.  The only thing there should be is debates.

Non-voters are even less informed than people who do vote. If the people who already vote are so stupid, why should we worry that not enough people are voting? If anything, we need fewer and better voters. I think a basic civics test should precede voting, and if you fail, the machine kicks your vote out.

Then again, if most people choose to be stupid, we get the government that we (collectively) deserve. So maybe it doesn't matter all that much.

Rhetorical differences aside, the practical differences between the two parties are vanishingly small, and that's the real reason that elections are usually an exercise in pointlessness.

Allfreedom99 said:
Kasz216 said:

Oh, another good data point is the last election.

Obama outspend John McCain 2 to 1.

That got Obama an "overwhelming" 51% of the popular vote vs McCains 48% of the vote.

2 to 1 spending, and Obama won by a 3% margin.

Did Obama "Steal the campaign".

Hell no. I'm actually surprised it was that close quite honestly.

Romney is going to lose... and he's going to lose by quite a bit.

Kasz, I have some thoughts about this, but I was just curious as to your reasoning of this conclusion?

Have you been keeping track of polls in swing states and the electoral map?

The current situation would require Mitt Romney to win almost every swing state to get 270 EVs, but Obama's up in most.  Prior to Wisconsin becoming a proper swing state with the Ryan pick (before it was consistently up 6+ points for Obama), Obama had to only win a single swing state to take the election.

Based on current poll aggregates, I'd say this is the most likely electoral map, leaving Wisconsin and Florida as toss-ups until further data comes in:

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=sAc

Prior to the Ryan pick, I would've put Wisconsin for Obama and still left Florida up for grabs.

But the point is, even if Romney takes both Wisconsin and Florida, he still only has 244 votes.  

So let's say these are the total states (real swing states, not "swing" states like Pennsylvania):

Ohio
Iowa
Virginia
North Carolina
Colorado
Wisconsin 
Florida

If Romney takes them all but Florida, he still loses.  If he takes them all but Ohio, he barely wins.  Obama just has to take any two of those (three if one of those is Iowa) to win.  And Ohio has been leaning pretty heavily for Obama, with Iowa, Virginia, and Colorado all also favoring Obama:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/author/nate-silver/

Demographics are really fucking up the Republican path to 270.  Ten years ago Pennsylvania was an actual swing state, and states like Virginia and North Carolina were solid red.   Because of increasing urbanization both Virginia and North Carolina are now winnable by Democrats, and former swing states like Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico are becoming more and more blue due to the increase in Latino voters.  New Mexico is no longer a swing state, and it's arguable the same has happened to Nevada (they don't get polled all that often).  It won't be long before Colorado isn't a swing state and Arizona goes from red to purple.

I'd imagine Texas will be pretty purple in the next 10-15 years as well, barring a major (and seemingly necessary) shift in Republican politics.

badgenome said:

Non-voters are even less informed than people who do vote. If the people who already vote are so stupid, why should we worry that not enough people are voting? If anything, we need fewer and better voters. I think a basic civics test should precede voting, and if you fail, the machine kicks your vote out.

Then again, if most people choose to be stupid, we get the government that we (collectively) deserve. So maybe it doesn't matter all that much.

Rhetorical differences aside, the practical differences between the two parties are vanishingly small, and that's the real reason that elections are usually an exercise in pointlessness.

I could just see the outcry on that.  I believe the NAACP would compare it to Jim Crow laws even if it was a test that a 12th grader should be able to pass. If you can't solve basic math, science, English, etc questions then you probably don't need to be voting.  How about if you failed on obtaining a GED then you can't vote.  If you can't vote if you committed a felony then you shouldn't be able to vote if you are completely stupid.

I think they should at least take the party line voting out of the electronic machines (where you can just select vote for all Republicans or Democrats).  That is USA laziness at its best and shows how most people vote (look into the actual candidates).  Sure it wouldn't stop the pure party line voting but at least you'll make the person click on every single vote.  A national holiday on election day which most democracies have would probably improve voter turn out. 

makingmusic476 said:

Have you been keeping track of polls in swing states and the electoral map?

The current situation would require Mitt Romney to win every swing state to get 270 EVs, but Obama's up in most.  Prior to Wisconsin becoming a proper swing state with the Ryan pick (before it was consistently up 6+ points for Obama), Obama had to only win a single swing state to take the election.

Based on current poll aggregates, I'd say this is the most likely electoral map, leaving Wisconsin and Florida as toss-ups until further data comes in:

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=sAc

Prior to the Ryan pick, I would've put Wisconsin for Obama and still left Florida up for grabs.

But the point is, even if Romney takes both Wisconsin and Florida, he still only has 244 votes.  

So let's say these are the total states (real swing states, not "swing" states like Pennsylvania):

Ohio
Iowa
Virginia
North Carolina
Colorado
Wisconsin 
Florida

If Romney takes them all but Florida, he still loses.  If he takes them all but Ohio, he barely wins.  Obama just has to take any two of those (three if one of those is Iowa) to win.  And Ohio has been leaning pretty heavily for Obama, with Iowa, Virginia, and Colorado all also favoring Obama:

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/author/nate-silver/

Demographics are really fucking up the Republican path to 270.  Ten years ago Pennsylvania was an actual swing state, and states like Virginia and North Carolina were solid red.   Because of increasing urbanization both Virginia and North Carolina are now winnable by Democrats, and former swing states like Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico are becoming more and more blue due to the increase in Latino voters.  New Mexico is no longer a swing state, and it's arguable the same has happened to Nevada (they don't get polled all that often).  It won't be long before Colorado isn't a swing state and Arizona goes from red to purple.

I'd imagine Texas will be pretty purple in the next 10-15 years as well, barring a major (and seemingly necessary) shift in Republican politics.

This right here is why I hate the electoral college.  If I vote for someone that doesn't win the state then my vote is worthless.  If the swing states really only matter then voting in a non swing state is worthless.  I will go out and waste my time this election just to cast my vote for Gary Johnson since I believe he would be the only one that would actually do shit differently.  My vote will be worthless and I can already tell you who will win my state...  Romney

PS.  I live in Texas right now