By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: Too Big to Fail?

To be honest with you, I am thoroughly fed up about these doom and gloom articles about Nintendo. Firstly, Nintendo is strong financially, has NO debt and has more than 10 billion U.S. in cash reserves, and investments. With such a strong balance sheet, Nintendo is not coming to an end or pulling a Dreamcast any time soon. Secondly, Nintendo have the most influential if not most memorable and strongest Intellectual Properties out of all the gaming industry: Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Donkey Kong. And they own them all (or partially, Pokemon), need I to say more. Thirdly, the Wii was weaker than its counterparts (PS3, Xbox 360) and was believed to be a failure, and yet it delivered, almost 100 million sold. Lastly, Nintendo's selling point is not how powerful their systems are, it is about innovation and has been the basis of their company since its debut. In the end, I am a proud owner of Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii and enjoy all platforms as they all bring something different, but this bickering of Nintendo dying has to stop. It's just childish and unjustified.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
Their recent loss was very small and time and time again they prove critics and analyst wrong. 3DS is booming in Japan and is doing well in the West. Hype is getting big for the wii U and does it really need to sell as well as the wii to be successful?

Also I would like to add that I did not read more than ten words of the OP. Just being honest, like zero would expect of me.

I read about 15, so I beat you, albeit they weren't consecutive words but random ones sprinkled throughout.

This article isn't worth our time. While it's unlikely that the Wii U will sell close to what the Wii did (which is unfortunate) (but who knows, maybe it will set the world on fire...) it will still at least be a profitable success for them and they'll continue chugging along making fantastic games as they always do.

This gloom and doom is driving me insane too.

This garbage is worse than Turkish my thread.

>user was moderated for this post [RH]

I missed the smell of rubbish Nintendo articles. Hope no one paid this guy to write this, it quickly devolves into uninformed fanboy reasonings. It can be dismantled in a couple points:

- Nintendo turned the 3DS around last year, and it's not losing money anymore. It is marginally relevant.
- Nintendo doesn't announce price/date/specs at E3. They didn't do it with the 3DS or the Wii either. Any attempt to spin this into a "disaster" is moronic.
- "Wii U is only as powerful as PS360" is an outright lie at this point. It's using modern parts, it's more powerful by default. Saying Wii U won't get third party games that don't exist on consoles that haven't been announced is silly, and shows a lack of understanding on why Wii missed out.
- All comparisons to Sega and the Dreamcast are automatically null and void. You are not clever. You are not cute. You just don't know your gaming history.
- Pretending that Vita or smartglass are viable alternatives is disingenuous at best.
- No, you are not a Nintendo fan if you didn't know NSMBU was a "full-fledged Mario game." No need for the lies.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Noel_Kreiss said:

To be honest with you, I am thoroughly fed up about these doom and gloom articles about Nintendo. Firstly, Nintendo is strong financially, has NO debt and has more than 10 billion U.S. in cash reserves, and investments. With such a strong balance sheet, Nintendo is not coming to an end or pulling a Dreamcast any time soon. Secondly, Nintendo have the most influential if not most memorable and strongest Intellectual Properties out of all the gaming industry: Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Donkey Kong. And they own them all (or partially, Pokemon), need I to say more. Thirdly, the Wii was weaker than its counterparts (PS3, Xbox 360) and was believed to be a failure, and yet it delivered, almost 100 million sold. Lastly, Nintendo's selling point is not how powerful their systems are, it is about innovation and has been the basis of their company since its debut. In the end, I am a proud owner of Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii and enjoy all platforms as they all bring something different, but this bickering of Nintendo dying has to stop. It's just childish and unjustified.

So spaces would be nice, but well said.

Around the Network

Don't worry, Ninty ain't goin' down anytime soon.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

zero129 said:

As far as they system specs go, there is sadly little information available. We do not have specific numbers to quantify how powerful the system is. The games revealed at E3 appear to be on par with the Xbox 360 and the PS3 as far as graphics and performance are concerned. There are rumors of the Wii U being more powerful than these current-gen systems, but there are no games, demos, or numbers to prove it. Everything we've seen as far as possible Wii U games are either ports that look identical to the other systems' versions or original games that look to be firmly in the realm of this aging console generation's expectations.

I'm really tired of the whole "it looks as good as current gen" shit.

Did everyone forget the 360/PS3 launch?  Remember how they looked dispite being vastly more powerful than the Xbox/PS2? 

None of these games were built from the ground up.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

It's been a while since I posted, but I sometimes only care to see if any non-nintendo fans think Nintendo will be profiting again soon.

lilbroex said:
Noel_Kreiss said:

So spaces would be nice, but well said.

Lol! Sorry about that! I was just reacting, I'm really tired of these articles. They are just pointless. Next time I'll take a breather and seperate my points in paragraphs! Thxs for the tip friend!

_crazy_man_ said:
zero129 said:

As far as they system specs go, there is sadly little information available. We do not have specific numbers to quantify how powerful the system is. The games revealed at E3 appear to be on par with the Xbox 360 and the PS3 as far as graphics and performance are concerned. There are rumors of the Wii U being more powerful than these current-gen systems, but there are no games, demos, or numbers to prove it. Everything we've seen as far as possible Wii U games are either ports that look identical to the other systems' versions or original games that look to be firmly in the realm of this aging console generation's expectations.

I'm really tired of the whole "it looks as good as current gen" shit.

Did everyone forget the 360/PS3 launch?  Remember how they looked dispite being vastly more powerful than the Xbox/PS2? 

None of these games were built from the ground up.

Fully agree. Everyone  also seems to keep ignoring these. I love to see someone try to pull of these off on the 360 and PS3.

I still remember all of the people who were claiming these were CG. They look just that good.

Just look at the detail on the windows and other ojects on the side.