By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Does Obama deserve to be re-elected?

Does Obama deserve to be re-elected?

Yes 77 42.78%

No 78 43.33%

Undecided 25 13.89%

Total:180
insomniac17 said:
gergroy said:

And yes, those voting 3rd party are wasting their vote. Voting for the losing guy with no chance is the equivalent of staying home and not voting. Personally, i most likely am staying home as I live in utah and the results of my state are already decided. If they didnt have the electoral college system i might be more inclined to vote. I dont know why they dont do popular vote...

You have a very bleak outlook on voting 3rd party. For me, it is a statement against something that I don't approve of. If I vote for Romney or Obama, I am saying that I approve of whichever one I pick. But I don't. Therefore, I won't vote for either one. Part of the reason why 3rd parties never do well is because everyone thinks that it's throwing away your vote. You should vote for who you think will do the best job, not just the lesser of two evils.

Thats a very small part of the reason.  The main reason that 3rd paries dont do well is because they dont have a credible campaign.  3rd party candidates can be successful, it just hasnt happened since the 90s and ross perot.  Ross perot was leading both clinton and bush at one point before he self destructed, and it is because he had a real effort.  

The reason why 3rd parties like johnson arent successful is they dont have money and spend most of the time complaining about lack of coverage instead of actually doing something about it.  

Now, come voting day and a 3rd party candidate is actually polling well then i would consider that candidate an option.  Otherwise, it is throwing away your vote and your chance to have the lesser of the two evils.  Instead, you will just get the bigger evil for 4 years.

Around the Network

No way. The majority of everything promised has never happened or was just making empty words for votes. While most in politics do this, he was a major offender on a larger scale. And this whole class warfare has got to stop.

NintendoPie said:
None of them deserve it.

They all seem to be somewhat horrible in their own ways.

What's horrible about Gary Johnson? 

is there a communist party to choose ?

Andrespetmonkey said:
NintendoPie said:
None of them deserve it.

Talking about Mitt and Obama here as they seem to be the one's who'll be the Candidates. (Or the most popular among all of America.)

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
NintendoPie said:
None of them deserve it.

Oh... and since I don't want to edit that again:

They are all bad in some sort of way, no Candidate has ever been perfect.

NintendoPie said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
NintendoPie said:
None of them deserve it.

Talking about Mitt and Obama here as they seem to be the one's who'll be the Candidates. 

Alrighty. Johnson is a candidate too, but you wouldn't know it sadly, mainstream media hardly ever covers him.

gergroy said:

Thats a very small part of the reason.  The main reason that 3rd paries dont do well is because they dont have a credible campaign.  3rd party candidates can be successful, it just hasnt happened since the 90s and ross perot.  Ross perot was leading both clinton and bush at one point before he self destructed, and it is because he had a real effort.  

The reason why 3rd parties like johnson arent successful is they dont have money and spend most of the time complaining about lack of coverage instead of actually doing something about it.  

Now, come voting day and a 3rd party candidate is actually polling well then i would consider that candidate an option.  Otherwise, it is throwing away your vote and your chance to have the lesser of the two evils.  Instead, you will just get the bigger evil for 4 years.

Lack of coverage is a large problem, and quite honestly not entirely their fault. It is significantly harder for 3rd parties to do well because the Republicans and Democrats didn't like what happened with Perot, and made it harder for them to get coverage. And if people don't know who they are, how can they raise more money to compete? I think they're right to complain about the lack of coverage. But I also think that they do try to do something about it. It's just that without coverage, it's really hard to do.

The best example is the difficulty of getting into the presidential debates. Many people watch those, but if there are only two candidates in them, then how are the rest supposed to get their position out there? It's exclusion of other candidates based on an arbitrary number. The only limitation for getting into the debates should be based on if it's even possible for a candidate to earn enough electoral votes to win.

And ending up with a worse evil might not be bad. Maybe we need to fail badly for people to wake up and realize that things are not going well. At the very least, if you get a horrible person in for 4 years, there's a better chance of getting someone at least slightly better in the next election.

ps3_jrpg_gamer said:
is there a communist party to choose ?

there is actually!! http://www.cpusa.org/

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

insomniac17 said:
gergroy said:

And yes, those voting 3rd party are wasting their vote. Voting for the losing guy with no chance is the equivalent of staying home and not voting. Personally, i most likely am staying home as I live in utah and the results of my state are already decided. If they didnt have the electoral college system i might be more inclined to vote. I dont know why they dont do popular vote...

You have a very bleak outlook on voting 3rd party. For me, it is a statement against something that I don't approve of. If I vote for Romney or Obama, I am saying that I approve of whichever one I pick. But I don't. Therefore, I won't vote for either one. Part of the reason why 3rd parties never do well is because everyone thinks that it's throwing away your vote. You should vote for who you think will do the best job, not just the lesser of two evils.

under the American system, it is throwing away your vote. If there are 5 candidates, with one getting 23%, three getting 20%, and one getting 17%, Mr. 23 gets all the marbles, and the votes of 77% of the population are rendered utterly meaningless. So it is natural that we try to accumulate as broad of political parties as possible, leading to our milquetoast Right-wing and Left-wing parties, because you need a candidate with as broad appeal as possible, for fear that the other guy is slightly more popular.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.