By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Does hype ruin a game?

Tagged games:

Does hype ruin a game?

Yes 11 64.71%

No 3 17.65%

Yes, but because I get all the info I could. 2 11.76%

I go on an info blackout, so no. 1 5.88%

Total:17

Sounds to me like you've spoiled the surprises for yourself rather than too much hype.

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
Sounds to me like you've spoiled the surprises for yourself rather than too much hype.

Maybe, but if all you see are aticles and trailers of games you like, then you'll probably look. I'm jut saying that yes I shouldn't look and read, but maybe the developers should try to hold off of some secrets/reveals until after launch? I try to avoid spoilers personally, but trailers always show the key moments to get you excited?!

Three Words: Duke Nukem Forever

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

it does.... thats why i have a media black out on the last of us (just watched the three trailers) god of war ascension and beyond two souls.... i dont wanna know ANYTHING! having not known anything about red dead redemption and playing it was such an amazing experience, it would have ruined a lot for me if i did know info about the game.

Yes I have to agree too much info can ruin the enjoyment of a game the same thing applies to movies also. I try to avoid reading too many reviews or watch too many previews of games I'm interested in.

Around the Network

yes. too many games got ruined because it was hyped.

If I'm getting excited for a game, the thing I most worry about is that I don't want to find out too much about it. I still want surprises.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

What you're describing isn't necessarily hype, it's impatience to learn more about a game. It's perfectly possible to be hyped for a game and try to avoid researching it too deeply before you play it. This can cause its own problems in that it can make a game more disappointing, but the kinds of games that generate that amount of hype tend to be excellent anyway.

Allow yourself to watch the reveal trailer, the launch trailer and anything shown at an E3 keynote, and nothing else. You'll enjoy games far more.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective