By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Casual games - what's going on?

The reviewers job is not to determine if the game will be very popular. It's supposed to be a recommendation for their core audience to help them determine if it lives up to its genre. Anyway, beware the amazon comments that are just a bit too effusive. Shovelware + company sock puppet reviews = mess.

Around the Network

i find quite alot of casual games enjoyable that are reviewed low for ex wiiplay,thats why i dont really buy games based on reviews

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

A good reviewer will generally recgonize a game is fun even if they score it low. That's why I pay more attention to the 'closing comments' than the actual score assigned. Another factor is the value proposition involved. Casual players are hard pressed to spend $50-$70 for a game unless they really want it. If a $20 game is just as fun, if not as impressive, it may been seen as a better value for the money to them.

There are two possibilities here:

1) The hardcore gamers who review these games don't know how to review them. They don't understand what casual gamers are after and give them poor scores based on their own desires from games, completely forgetting what the target audience - casual gamers - want. 

2) Casual gamers don't have a clue. They don't know their own minds and only *think* they're enjoying these games. They need a hardcore gamer to show them the error of their ways and make them play real games like Zelda, Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem.

Personally I think it's a bit of both. If someone is new to games they may find something fun that a hardcore gamer wouldn't. The hardcore player has already played a better similar game while the new player finds it exciting and original. 

There is another.......

The publisher could be planting posts... 

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

i think it is a mix of the two--some people just dont like a game and review it badly

Around the Network

I think some of the reviews on sites like Amazon and IMDB are fake. For example in the reviews for Monster 4X4 World Circuit on Amazon's UK site the two people who gave it 5 stars write suspiciously similar.

i think this is a double case of things

Ignorance is bliss; Casual gamers haven't PLAYED the top absolute best of the line. They don't realize when controls are being used badly, or when there are frustrating events that have been dealt with better in better games.

Video games are not life; Hardcore gamers play these games as a way of defeating the challenge of it, and to experience sound visuals and story. Casual gamers DO play games sometimes just 10 minutes to half an hour at a time, maybe 1 day out of a week, and don't want something complex that they have to make a part of their life. they WANT a simple stupid distraction.

So basically, teh first poster has it exactly right.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

I see links to restaurant. They eat very well most of the time. They crave the exceptional, extraordinary. when they get it, they praise it and the guy gets stars awarded and people book a year in advance. a "casual" eater might not enjoy the food though, cause its too experimental/ not his taste. He might prefer Mc Donalds.

Same with movie reviews.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.