By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Game division made $375m profit (FY 2011)

Missleading titles are not allowed because people talk about the title rather then the topic, as the topic has to deal with the title misleading the topic of disscussion.... O_o

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

Around the Network

It's like Sony went around and kicked everyone's dog. Seriously, did these people exist 10 years ago?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Kresnik said:
mitlar37 said:
skilllz said:
there is a difference between operatring income and net income ... so probably sony did NOT make a profit ... stupid thread !!!

This. But since this is a Sony dominated forum your comment will probably be conveniently overlooked :)

Sony Corp. 2011 fiscal year ending March 31, 2012     Operating Income  -$860 million    Net Income  -$5.8 billion       See the (massive) difference?

So I believe this thread:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=144920&page=

and the $1.2 billion loss is more like it.

Cherry-picking at it's finest.

I know Turkish put a deliberately mis-leading thread title, but seriously, it doesn't take 10 seconds to read through the OP and see what he means. 

And even then, the thread title does clearly state "Game Division" and you come in here throwing around numbers for Sony Corporation as a whole.

And finally, the OP clearly says:

"Game - Operating Income - 29,302 (million yen)"

Even using your figures, which show Sony Corporation as a whole down $860 million, you think it's "more like it" that the game division on its own lost $1.2 billion last year?

I know everyone wants to remind us constantly at the moment that Sony Corp. are doing badly - which they are - but taking 10 seconds to just actual think before you post to make sure you're staying relevant to the topic really isn't hard =/

Learn to read then get back with me.

WII Code: 1732 3363 1704 6441

Good for the gaming division i guess?

Chark said:
It's like Sony went around and kicked everyone's dog. Seriously, did these people exist 10 years ago?

They did exist, except they where abusing Nintendo when they were on their playsations. Now they some moved to be xbox gamers who abuse Sony.

Nintendo fans jsut have been use to the abuse for so long it doesnt have the same impact anymore with all the doomz day threads each week it is like one of those ebd of the world predictions that never keeps pannin gout.

Around the Network
Cobretti2 said:
Chark said:

They did exist, except they where abusing Nintendo when they were on their playsations. Now they some moved to be xbox gamers who abuse Sony.

Nintendo fans jsut have been use to the abuse for so long it doesnt have the same impact anymore with all the doomz day threads each week it is like one of those ebd of the world predictions that never keeps pannin gout.

Ah so all the douchebags went to Xbox, I kid I kid. Were there really that many Nintendo haters back then? I mean, I know the internet (communication) has advanced dramatically and people have aged sinced then, but was it really bad? Any old fogeys that can chime in on this?

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Cobretti2 said:
mike_intellivision said:
Since the OP did not clarify, Sony's FY11 ended 31 March 2012.

Sony made money on gaming for the fiscal year ending 31 March 2012. But it has lost money on that division the last two quarters.

More importantly though, the entire company is awash in red ink and the gaming division is looked upon as a profit center in the current structure. So losing money is not a good thing.

Mike from Morgantown

The end of financial year, is that what the Japanese use to mark it? or is that an assumption people are using because in their country it is 31 March 2012?

Only reason I ask is because in Aus end of financial year is 30 June 2012.

Companies -- and governments -- are free to set their own fiscal years. For example, in the US, 46 states have a FY that ends 30 June. But the federal government FY ends 30 September. (I don't remember when the other four states end their years).

What is confusing is that the Sony fiscal year uses the name from its beginning point, rather than the end point that most people are used to seeing. However, given that nine months of this year were in 2011, it makes some sense to name it that way.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Chark said:
Cobretti2 said:
Chark said:

Ah so all the douchebags went to Xbox, I kid I kid. Were there really that many Nintendo haters back then? I mean, I know the internet (communication) has advanced dramatically and people have aged sinced then, but was it really bad? Any old fogeys that can chime in on this?

Not many people cared about Nintendo. Around the year 2000 it was Sony vs Sega ps2 vs dreamcast lol.

Of course Sony lost money this year. With those fucked up titles the published so far, and the Vita disaster. What would you expect. I wouldn´t wonder if the only two profitable Sony games of this year would be Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Tokyo Jungle. But there is some hope left, the Super Smash Bros.: Knock off come in october maybe it will be able to compensate the loses. Altough I doubt that, Sony should release The Last od Us this year to make profit.

>User was moderated for this post by Amp316

AndrewWK said:
Of course Sony lost money this year. With those fucked up titles the published so far, and the Vita disaster. What would you expect. I wouldn´t wonder if the only two profitable Sony games of this year would be Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Tokyo Jungle. But there is some hope left, the Super Smash Bros.: Knock off come in october maybe it will be able to compensate the loses. Altough I doubt that, Sony should release The Last od Us this year to make profit.

What fucked up titles are you speaking of?  Reported for flaming, get some style dude, this is boring.