By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - One of the things that I believed collapsed the Final Fantasy franchise - Music

BasilZero said:
Chark said:
BasilZero said:
Chark said:

It's not really related but I don't think music is related to the topic either. I just had to post something like this.

I'll be honest, I didnt fully understand the Junction system in FFVIII, maybe in my future playthrough I will understand it a bit more than when I first played it 10 years ago.

As for music wise, FFVIII's music was possibly the best thing about it, next to storyline, gameplay cant say the same though....

What about the card game and the sidequests? Items? Characters? The world? I thought those were all great.

I liked the Card game system in IX more.

Sidequests were ok.

Items were ok, but the way you get money in the game was a bit of a turn off, taking quizzes/tests didnt help much to motivate me.

Characters were fine (ties in with storyline as I mentioned earlier was one of the best aspects)

The world was ok like any other Pre-FFX world.

But the slow pace of the gameplay (well slow to me), the raggedy graphics of the sprites and some aspects of the environment in certain locations were bad. The Junction system was meh to me, and the fact that the enemies strength depends on the overall levels of whoever you use in party was a bit of a turn off as well.

Regardless of that, I'm still gonna play the game again, will be recording it as well, but probably not anytime soon since I'll be recording all of the FF games in order (the mainline series anyways).

Good, you should give it another try. From the sound of it you didn't get to the end? The world was felt very explorable with things like optional GFs, caves, islands closest to hell/heaven. MOOMBAS!

I didn't mind differences in enemy strength, they were going for more balanced battles. Honestly the game is hard is certain points, but I find if I just super up Squall the game is really easy (learn how to junction STR). The battle was faster paced than FFVII.

The game does take a while to get used to, but I really loved it after that. And that card system is way better than IX's. Deal with it. lol

Oh and for OP, it's subjects like these that were lost in FFXIII that resulted in the decline of Final Fantasy, at least for the fanbase. Music quality doesn't hold a candle to the loss the series had by lacking some of these qualities.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
Chark said:

Good, you should give it another try. From the sound of it you didn't get to the end? The world was felt very explorable with things like optional GFs, caves, islands closest to hell/heaven. MOOMBAS!

I didn't mind differences in enemy strength, they were going for more balanced battles. Honestly the game is hard is certain points, but I find if I just super up Squall the game is really easy (learn how to junction STR). The battle was faster paced than FFVII.

The game does take a while to get used to, but I really loved it after that. And that card system is way better than IX's. Deal with it. lol

Oh and for OP, it's subjects like these that were lost in FFXIII that resulted in the decline of Final Fantasy, at least for the fanbase.

Oh I did get to the end, I even finished the game.

Yeah I do admit the battles were tough especially the one against Diablos until I switched out one person for a weaker level member ;p

Well imo, kinda liked IX's card system a bit more, played so many hours on IX's system, VIII's was kinda bland but who knows, its been 10 years since I played both games.

What honestly killed the FF series imo was the inclusion of two mainline titles to be MMORPGs, the terrible spinoffs and sequels like Crystal Bearers and X-2 and all the remakes (as much as I loved them) they were overkilled, it was like a port/remake of the same game every 3-4 years people started getting sick of it. Along with that the main focus of FF going straight to attempting to attract westerners (only making it worse imo), they just tried too hard.

Yes I agree with that, it really did damage the brand. They should have named it Final Fantasy Online. I like what I played of it, it was quite a bit harder than WoW, though also just as hard to learn. I think I was in the upper teens in level before I stopped playing on a friends account and then everyone started playing WoW so I got back into that again after trying that out when it launched. Retaining the numbered series is something at least westerners find important and you think they would have learned their lesson from the 2,4,3,6 issue. What's done is done but it would be nice if they dropped the XIV from the relaunch title and made XIV the next full title. Oh and STOPPED MAKING @#!*#&% SEQUELS.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

But XIII-2 had some of the best music in the series, I would personally say that only VII, IX and X have it beat.

>That feeling when Noel's theme starts playing in that one scene

You know which scene I'm talking about. It was the first time I had gotten shivers in a Final Fantasy scene since IX.

BasilZero said:
Chark said:

It's not really related but I don't think music is related to the topic either. I just had to post something like this.

I'll be honest, I didnt fully understand the Junction system in FFVIII, maybe in my future playthrough I will understand it a bit more than when I first played it 10 years ago.

As for music wise, FFVIII's music was possibly the best thing about it, next to storyline, gameplay cant say the same though....

Junction was pretty simple, I had no idea what it was at first yeh but after a couple play throughs it made sense. You extract magic from enemies and depending on what the magic is (some that are more powerful then others) and how many you use (max 99), you put each magic into one of your stat slots (strength, attack, defense etc) and depending on the magic it makes that stat stronger.

Chark said:

Yes I agree with that, it really did damage the brand. They should have named it Final Fantasy Online. ...Retaining the numbered series is something at least westerners find important and you think they would have learned their lesson from the 2,4,3,6 issue....

Totally agree with you there. Personally I consider X-2 to be the proper eleventh numbered FF, there I fixed it.

I'll give them a chance with XIV though, they are promising a story this time.

And when it comes to sequels let's not forget that The Advent Children is basically FF VII-2. Check and mate.

I still consider this thread a failed butthurt troll attempt.

Around the Network
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
Chark said:

Yes I agree with that, it really did damage the brand. They should have named it Final Fantasy Online. ...Retaining the numbered series is something at least westerners find important and you think they would have learned their lesson from the 2,4,3,6 issue....

Totally agree with you there. Personally I consider X-2 to be the proper eleventh numbered FF, there I fixed it.

And when it comes to sequels let's not forget that The Advent Children is basically FF VII-2. Check and mate.

You dont dont have my permission to leave. Your punishment must be more severe!

You can respond to my previous post, or you can run away. Which is it going to be?

Claiming the most successful game in Square Enix's history 'damaged' the brand is not an acceptable argument. And claiming that FF13 has no culcability in damaging the brand is not a acceptable argument.

If I'm a troll then by all means explain to me how the Japanese market is 'dying', explain to me how Final Fantasy 13-2 sold less copies than FF13, because the Japanese market is slowly dying. Is the western market also dying?

You should have left it where it was before. You dont post on my wall and walk away!

dood, you have nothing

A203D said:

my personal opinion is that he thinks FF13 has damaged the franchise.

A203D said:

When it comes down to it, you CANNOT prove what Yochi Wada thinks.

You wont respond to my questions then respond to your own words:

I want out.

"You dont have my permission to leave, your punishment must be more severe"

Doode... "Heres what you did, you got cocky and spewed out":

"Final Fantasy XIII enjoys stellar reviews. It ended up getting a direct sequel and probably, for the first time in FF history, even a second one. Between Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, the project has sold 9.6 million units worldwide, in these market conditions:"

"Jesus noob pwning Christ...What are you talking about, it has nothing to do with the console market and I'm not focusing on the PS3. It's the INDUSTRY, the japanese gaming industry. FF is not an RPG it's a gadman JAPANESE RPG, thus my referal to the very specific market conditions.  How on earth could have XIII-2 sold more than XIII ?!?!?"

FF13's reputation was so 'stellar' as you put it, the sequel sold less copies than the predecessor?

I thought FF13 was a console RPG... How can it have nothing to with PS3? (Thats amusing).

And FYI, you should do some research, FF13 was not designed to be an RPG, it was influenced by Call of Duty and Lost the tv show. Hence why I consider the developers incompitent.

"By market conditions I obviously refer to the wildly known fact that was only mentioned a post ago, that japanese games are doing badly, very badly. Are you mocking me in my face talking about Skyrim ? What on earth does skyrim has to do with anything concerning the slowly dying japanese gaming industry ? Its't not 1998 anymore, that's a long gone market. Square's expectations were lower and yes XIII managed to be by far one of the best selling Japanese games."

"The japanese gaming industry has taken a huge blow. That is an overall observation of this gaming generation and you are looking the other way. Especially rpgs. Mentioning Pokemon is not helping your case."

"Mentioning a bunch of Nintendo titles doesn't mean anything about the Japanese gaming industry. Pokemon is doing well, no shit Sherlock ! Dragon Quest X is not out yet and Monster Hunter is doing well in Japan."

Nintendo has nothing to do with a 'dying' Japanese game industry now. "JESUS Noob Pawning Christ". Lol (That one made me laugh)

"The fact that XIII's gameplay had mixed reception is irrelevant to the reason why XIII-2 was made. They would not have made a sequel to an unsuccessful game. For the first time a numbered FF was basically an rpg / action hybrid, of course it would cause mixed reactions."

Theres just one question. If FF13 was as stellar as you claim why has FF13-2 sold less copies? A lot less copies

We should let other publishers know when your sequel sells less than half the copies of its precessor, its is a 'stellar' success. Get Activision and Cacpom on the phone, we have the jump on Michael Pacter now!

And how can FF13's gameplay have a mixed recpetion and stellar reviews at the same time? The notions are mutually exclusive. (Lol, its highly amusing when you contradict yourself).

If you cant respond to my posts, because I'm a 'troll' you dosent accept you bullshit. Then respond to your own posts. "JESUS Noon pwning Christ" COULD IT BE... GASP...NO...ITS NOT...POSSIBLE... That you've been completely exposed and thus have gone into hiding!!

These are your posts not mine. Respond to them!!

One more thing:

The shareholders et al, set a 6 mil expectation for FF13. But the reality of the situation is:

http://www.finalfantasyunion.com/news/square-enix-final-fantasy-xiii-will-outsell-final-fantasy-vii--710.html

FF13 was designed to 'be the greatest single player RPG experience' (Toriyama). Which it failed to meet. And it was meant to sell 10 mil copies. Which it also didnt meet. But yeah thats all Final Fantasy 11 and 14s fault. FF13 has no culpability in the degration of this franchise. They changed FF13-2 formula because FF13 has such a 'stellar' reception. I'm troll because I dont accept that FF11, the most successful game in the franchise history has 'greatly damamged' the franchise. FF11 is not accountable for FF13's shortcomings, FF14 has damaged the franchise, but FF13 has devestated the franchise. Thats my opinon, which I was ready to discuss, but you instead thought you would dictate orders.

I tried to end things diplomatically, even appologising, and walking away reasonabiliy. You called me out, you harassed me on my wall. Now you've gone into hiding because you cant defend your own words. Correct me where I am mistaken here.

Chark said:

I tried to end things diplomatically, even appologising, and walking away reasonabiliy. You called me out, you harassed me on my wall. Now you've gone into hiding because you cant defend your own words. Correct me where I am mistaken here.

You dont consider my words discussion points. RESPOND TO YOUR OWN WORDS THEN. Or are you 'a failed butthurt troll' who has gone into hiding!