By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Russia hasn't changed

mai said:

Kasz216 said:

Thouuugh yeah, did you look at any of the google search info you looked at?

Nothing is near as bad as what Russia just did.

Well, that we're the worst, that I somehow have figured out already :D Thank you, I watch Fox News.

How about yet another poor creature (not the swastika guy, another one) jailed for whatever he's done in synagouge? It's on the very first page.

Never cease to amuse, why among all possible questions to ask regarding the topic you choose the stupidiest? Like the discussion we're both (hopefully) enjoying right now, despite how idiotic it is :D  it's "was a 9/11 an inside job?" all over again! Why don't you ask why, say, the whole topic was picked up by worldwide media in the first place among all possible options? it's no like the story is any close in being hot, disgusting or whatever to 'staff sgt killing a couple dozen civilians for no apparent reason', no?

Which one?  The people who got 90 days in jail, far less time for a crime worse then what pussy riot did.  Which was, stepping somewhere in a public area people rarely go?

Or the guy who got 1 year becauese

"In addition, Lichtfuss said he wanted to go to jail because he suffers from depression and was considering suicide.

"I thought, maybe if I go to prison, it'll straighten me up," he told Garb."

As for what he thought of the sentence...

"With credit for time served, Lichtfuss, a mason apprentice, could be released from jail at the end of June. He called the sentence fair. So did his lawyer, John Fioravanti, and Chief Deputy District Attorney Diane E. Gibbons."

I mean, I don't get what your point is, to keep bringing up extreme versions of american law that are more serious crimes, and got less serious jail time.

It's like suggesting you shouldn't judge a murderer if you punched someone once.

Around the Network
makingmusic476 said:
the2real4mafol said:
makingmusic476 said:
the2real4mafol said:
HesAPooka said:
the2real4mafol said:
Kasz216 said:
Yeah. Heard about that two days ago.

Really sucks.

Also, it's not so much that Russia hasn't changed.

So much as Russia has backslided back into awfulness.

Yeah definitely, maybe Russia will never be democratic have the illusion of democracy like the west. Putin's a dick 

Fixed/

What would you say Democracy is then, if the west doesn't have it?

I would argue different countries in the West have attained varying degrees of it.

A First Past the Post voting system that leads to our only viable choices for candidates coming from two parties that properly represent a tiny sliver of the actual populace isn't all that democratic.

We have the ability to vote out the guy that's fucking up assuming we like the alternative better, but that's it.  Anything beyond that is made unttenable by the spoiler effect.

We need to implement an alternative voting system for the presidency and senate and a proportional system in each state for selecting the house representatives they send to congress for our country to really approach true representation.  I'd get rid of the electoral college (popular vote picks the President) and make all campaigning publicly funded with private contributions outlawed to further that aim.

yeah i hate FPTP, it's a crap system. In the UK, we had a chance to change the system (referendum in 2010), but we sad no. idiot public!!

but i really don't see how a AV system would benefit the USA, ain't the democrats and republicans far too big now, that even under AV, libertarians or who ever else, would still struggle to become elected?

but i agree with you on the last point, private contributions for campaigning, just corrupt the candidate. maybe that's why Mitt Romney is so clueless

Proportional representation would be at the heart of any changes to our electoral system.  When moving to a proportional sysem, some voters in, say, Califronia would be more likely to vote Green over Democrat, and voters in a place like Louisiana may vote Libertarian as opposed to Republican.  Right now in Louisiana, Republicans generally take 60% of the vote in statewide elections, but take 5/6 congressional districts due to gerrymandering.  Under a proportional system where people aren't afraid to vote for third parties because it may help an opposing party win within their district, you may see a situation in which Republicans land three seats, Democrats land 2, and Libertarians land 1.  Suddenly voters of each affiliation within that state are more properly represented, instead of almost the entire state being represented by Republicans.

Once you start seeing third parties in Congress, that leaves open the possibility of one of the more popular third party candidates running for the Presidency.  At that point it's crucial for the AV to allow people to vote for their preferred third party candidate with their major party candidate as a back up.  Third parties will start small, maybe getting 10-15% of the vote, but if that party's ideals grow in popularity over time, it could eventually become a major party alonngside the oother parties, thus winning a presidential election.

yeah it sounds good but i doubt it will happen in America unfortunately. It would be nice to see some libertarians and green party members elected, but we all know it won't. They should hold a referendum on this really, but as i said it won't happen as they're all cowards and suck up to their local billionaire instead!!

I though America was a land of the free and let there's no real democracy here! 

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

the2real4mafol said:

It would be nice to see some libertarians and green party members elected

This doesn't make any sense. Libertarians and Green Party are two almost completely opposing ideologies. 

One supports much greater environmental spending and creation of publicly owned natural park lands, and the other demands no environmental spending and is against publicly owned anything.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
the2real4mafol said:

This doesn't make any sense. Libertarians and Green Party are two almost completely opposing ideologies. 

One supports much greater environmental spending and creation of publicly owned natural park lands, and the other demands no environmental spending and is against publicly owned anything.

Nah, the Green and Libretarian partys actually agree on a LOT... more then 60% of the time I'd guess.

It's just they differ in the few areas the green party is most known for.

A Green/Libretarian coalition would see a LOT less military activity, a lot less on IP laws and recreational drugs, a lot less people being held to jail terms for minor issues.

I'd vote for either party over the repubs or dems any day.

It's worth noting that Ralph Nader threw his support behind Ron Paul this election cycle, even ahead of Obama.

http://reason.com/blog/2011/09/28/ralph-nader-hearts-ron-paul-ha

http://www.politicususa.com/ralph-nader-endorses-ron-paul.html

"Look at the latitude," Nader says, referring to the potential for cooperation between libertarians and the left. "Military budget, foreign wars, empire, Patriot Act, corporate welfare—for starters. When you add those all up, that's a foundational convergence. Progressives should do so good."

Jumpin said:
the2real4mafol said:

In Russia the two groups tend to be more aligned. Pretty much if you're not an old-school Communist, a skinhead, and aren't in support of Putin, you're all in it together in Russia.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
mai said:
Badassbab said:
I'm not condoning the Russian (Putin dominated) judicial system and the over the top jail sentence but Pussy Riot do tend to enjoy attracting attention for no apparent reason other than I guess to push more sales of their records.

Before the current anti-Putin protest in the Cathedral , they had an orgy in a museum, performed a sex act with a chicken in a supermarket and successfully kissed a female security officer without her consent (who then punched the band member in the face for trying).

*facepalm*

If it was Putin-dominated, how the f**k  the whole deal has happened? Why he needs such publicity? And to the best of my knowledge they don't have any records, they're the kind of artists who piss on a carpet and call it performance.

When I say Putin dominated, I mean Putin and all his cronies

History

On 25 May 2001, President Putin proposed the Federal Law "On Amending the Federal Law On the Status of Judges In the Russian Federation",[23] which was passed by the Duma, and signed by President Putin on 15 December 2001. The law introduced disciplinary and administrative responsibility for judges.

Constitutional Court Judge Vladimir Yaroslavtsev, in a 2009 interview with the Spanish newspaper El País, claimed that the presidential executive office andsecurity services had undermined judicial independence in Russia.[24] In October the Constitutional Court in an unprecedented motion accused Yaroslavtsev of "undermining the authority of the judiciary" in violation of the judicial code and forced him to resign from the Council of Judges. Judge Anatoly Kononov, who had frequently dissented from decisions taken by the majority of the court, in his interview to Sobesednik supported Yaroslavtsev, claiming that there was no independent judiciary in Russia.[25] Kononov was forced to step down from the Constitutional Court on 1 January 2010, seven years ahead of schedule.[26][27][28]

Jumpin said:
the2real4mafol said:

They would be elected seperately to the senate or congress, i didn't mean to become president at the same time, The US political system needs more ideological variety

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Mr Khan said:
Jumpin said:
the2real4mafol said:

In Russia the two groups tend to be more aligned. Pretty much if you're not an old-school Communist, a skinhead, and aren't in support of Putin, you're all in it together in Russia.

Not to sure on Russian politics, but Communism is still big there, it's the 2nd biggest party even now over there. The hated Putin is all that's stopping a new communist Russia, it's amazing really. But oviously, there is alot of people that hate communists and putin too, so they would be together, it don't matter who they are, they would be together because they are opposed so much

Maybe Russia hasn't changed but the USA sure has.

Half of you point a finger at Putin whilst ignoring the US stance on Assange.

Did Assange not exercise his right to freedom of speech and expression just like Pussy Riot?

All the made up crap about him putting lives at risk is turning out to be just that, crap.

If Russia or China did a Guantanamo The UN would be up in arms.

Hypocrisy on all levels.

Badassbab said:

When I say Putin dominated, I mean Putin and all his cronies

That doesn't answer my question, why the case even exists if, as you say, he or whoever else dominates judical system.

BTW the article you've posted misinterprets why Yaroslavtsev said what he said, it has nothing to do with the mentioned act. Have you actully read the law in question?